Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141095 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #870 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:47 pm »

Completely random lynching shouldn't let the town win too often. Most of Mafia's day game is trying to ferret out the scum so you can lynch them. When the town fails at that, they tend to lose. So I don't think that's too bad.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:48 pm »

Random lynching in standard setups are about 60+% winning chances for the Mafia, so 34% chance for Town winning isn't bad.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:10 pm »

Cool, that'll be the setup then. Back to flavor!
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 28, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

It should start at around 50-50 and then be affected by the day games (ie the town's lynching and mafia's lynch avoidance).  You can usually push it towards a mafia bias, but that's due to investigative roles which obviously work in the town's favour... and your game doesn't have any, so I'd watch out.  Especially since cults tend to be extremely powerful in general (since they can quietly eliminate their most dangerous opponents without anyone even realising it).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 28, 2011, 04:37:40 pm »

True. There's also a certain "has our best player been culted or not?" aspect to it too.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 28, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »

Leafsnail: Hrm. I'm uncertain if I want to add an investigative role to the game. Any other ways that the game could move to a town balance? (At one point I was testing the idea that the cultist could only have one cultee at a time, which would move it to a town balance, but feels kinda silly to me.)

Darvi: As that's part of the point of cults, I don't mind that much. My goal here is to make a fairly simple (unlike Cybrid Mafia), fairly balanced game centered around a cult.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »

Hmmm. A one-master one-apprentice cult would work ok for a Sith themed cult, I guess.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »

I'd play the SK in that scenario :V

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 28, 2011, 05:15:38 pm »

Think, it's balanced. Believe me. You have to realize that the natural tendency of cults is fairly strong, but it's not overpowered. Just stronger late game, and the early game offset combined with the mindshift of culting players causes a pretty nice game.

It's pretty balanced. Investigative roles with no counter are unbalanced. Confirmed Townies with a maybe bodyguard and the chance for him to not be confirmed anymore? Balanced, so long as the Jailer loses his powers on culting.

Overall, I deem your game balanced. Leafsnail is confusing a few things with standard 9p games that have a Godfather/Roleblocker + Doctor/Cop, which would be that the Doctor and the Cop BOTH have counters. The Watcher has 1 potential counter, but that counter is a 50% chance of a false negative. The only plus is that there would likely already be a Cult member by then. The other style is also balanced, but less so.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 28, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »

The Jailer definitely loses his powers on culting, but that said, he can't actually DO anything with his powers after being culted, since the only other role that acts at night is the cultist, and I doubt he'd block his own teammate.

EDIT: At the moment, that is. If I added other roles, then yeah, he'd lose his power.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:27:04 pm by Think0028 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 28, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »

I'd say that an investigator who can only get cultists (ie not the leader) is one possibility.  As webadict says, 1/6 chance of lynch followed by 1/5 chance of inspection is really too much for the first night.

Although I hadn't thought about how strong the jailer is... hm.  It just feels a bit swingy.  If the town lynches wrong and the jailer gets converted, the town is left with no PRs, no confirmable townies (unless the scum jailkeeper claims to have guarded the initial CT) and is in a virtual lylo situation already (frankly I don't rate their chances at 3 out of 7 when the cultists can basically jester and every single townie would have to correctly identify the cult leader... it would require nothing short of a miracle for the town to get out of that one).

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:56 pm »

Hm, just throwing around ideas. But what if there was a Bay12 Mafia where the roles were the subforums on Bay12?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:56 pm »

Hm, just throwing around ideas. But what if there was a Bay12 Mafia where the roles were the subforums on Bay12?

The goal would be to lynch the Mafia... subforum.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »

Mafia and RTD could be the scum, with life advice being the doc, and Announcements as the cop.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »

And GD? Pray tell, what would GD be? Or worse, DFGD?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 108