Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141090 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #855 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:21 am »

Then you probably shouldn't be playing Mafia.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:50 am »

D:

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 10, 2011, 12:12:15 pm »

The general reason to read your role PM is that in a regular game when you're mafia, the advantages of working with other mafia members FAR outweighs the advantages of not being aware of one's alignment. And of course, if you're a third party, you pretty much have to be aware of that fact to be able to win.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 23, 2011, 01:29:35 am »

Bumping the thread to post a new idea. I was thinking of a mafia game where your role is determined by one post you provide, that you have posted on the forums.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 23, 2011, 04:40:29 am »

BYOP mafia?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:15 am »

Interesting.  I have a couple ideas for that...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 27, 2011, 03:06:42 pm »

In the future, I was thinking of running a cult mafia game. I'll save the question of 'is the board okay with me modding it' for when I actually want to run it, but until then, two questions about the balance:

1) I was thinking of starting with 9 players, 1 cult leader, so that the game is over with 3 mislynches. I'm still crunching the numbers a bit as there's an awful lot of possibilities as to what could happen, but does anyone see any imbalance issues with that?

2) I was also thinking about what power roles to add. I'm thinking two power roles: a jailer (both roleblocks the target and prevents culting) and something else.
a) A watcher that knows if the target visited someone (jailer or cult leader doing something) or if the target was visited (targetted by jailer or cult leader). I think this'd be interesting, but am I missing something here? Some game-ending problem? If no one has any particular complaints, I'd probably end up having this as the second power role.

b) An initial confirmed townie, inspired by reading the Cybrid Mafia game. Dunno how much this guy'd matter past D1, but the jailer protecting him could sustain him for long enough to screw over the cult. Then again, cult getting the jailer and then him could screw over the town. Any suggestions here?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2011, 03:28:23 pm »

The initial confirmed Townie is ACTUALLY less unbalanced than the Watcher, and I'll use statistics to show why in a bit.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

The initial confirmed Townie is ACTUALLY less unbalanced than the Watcher, and I'll use statistics to show why in a bit.

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, as I was having trouble with the statistics.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 28, 2011, 03:11:51 am »

I don't feel like typing up a whole lot, but lemme just do some quick numbers.

Contownie, jailer, and watcher all claim off the bat and become cleared D1. One-in-six chance of instant town victory instantly.

Let's assume the jailer or watcher get converted and that the watcher's inspection is either blocked or ignored.

One-in-five chance of town victory. Note that the cult controls one-fourth of the vote.

Let's now assume that both the jailer and watcher are subverted as any wise townie would assume.

One-in-four chance of town victory. Note that the cult controls three-sevenths of the vote. If the town misses here, it loses.

I dunno the odds on town victory vs cult victory. I suck at math.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 28, 2011, 07:46:32 am »

It's simple precedent over practice, but we'll cover both cases.

You're right in assuming that both could claim and make it impossible, but I'll again cover both possibilities:

Let's assume no one claims in the confirmed Town situation:
There's a 1/8 chance of cult being lynched. This is pretty low, and isn't too bad for odds. The only downside is that someone may be lynched early, but even then it's pretty good odds.
At Night is when things get interesting:

The Jailer has a 2/8 chance of guessing correctly (They can both block and protect), but they're going to likely protect the confirmed Townie. So, assuming that, the Cult will probably use their 1/7 chance to try to recruit the Jailer.

After that, the game becomes increasingly more likely for the scum to win. Have 8 people alive and 2 cult means that the next Day would be lylo with 3/7 cult. And by lylo, I mean they need to lynch the Cult Leader or lose, which is 1/7 instead of 3/7.

Good news is that once the Cult Leader is lynched in lylo, they get 2 shots to correctly lynch the remaining cult.

But, yeah, it's probably about a ~50-65% chance that the Cult wins, which is much higher if they make it past Day 1.

The reason that the watcher makes it unbalanced is that there is no immediate target for the jailer, who is then given a much better choice of whom to protect. The confirmed Town is suspicious the Day after the first, and WIFOM plays heavily into it. The watcher has a 50% chance of finding the Cult with his inspection if it comes back true, and even then, the other 50% chance simply needs to have the Jailer counterclaim, and if he's not, then lynch the other guy.

Anyhow, the chance that the cult wins in this one is about 40-60%. Not much, but I think the other one is much more balanced, especially if you don't want games to end Day 2. The top one gives more suspiciousness through the town and that's a good way to play Mafia.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 28, 2011, 10:40:04 am »

Confirmed townie and jailer it is, then. Now to start writing up some flavor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 28, 2011, 11:31:37 am »

Another way to look at it is that the Watcher acts like a Cop while the Jailer acts like a Doctor. The Jailer doesn't confirm anyone but still helps protect the Town. The Watcher acts like a Cop that can't be fought by the scum. The upside is that they can't work together, but even then, it's still a force to be reckoned with. The confirmed Town however is a rallying point from Day 1 and then a point of suspicion afterward.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:36 pm »

Had bad code, now fixing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:18:56 pm by Think0028 »

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »

This script (actually) simulates how the game would run, and town has about a 28% success rate at the moment with random lynching, culting, and blocking, assuming the jailer doesn't claim. Putting in some smarter logic for town (they don't lynch jailer or confirmed townie until cult leader is dead) bumps that up to 34%.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That seems a tad low. Should I be concerned and consider rebalancing, or should I not worry?

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 108