Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140928 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #555 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:29 pm »

How much havoc do you expect during the night?  Is it possible for a bunch of people to die each night, or just 1 or 2 (Mafia night kill + maybe 1 town kill).
I would guess 3-4, but it all depends on amount of agreement between people - if everyone goes after his own target, town may not kill anyone; if they coordinate their forces, they may kill several people per night (there's also the attack:defense ratio, which can be fine-tuned if this idea takes off)
Also, would a Mafioso be able to kill someone by themselves or would it require more than one of them?  If the former, what stops them from killing half the town; if the latter, what about investigative roles?
Mafiosi have a bit higher attack than average townie, so it would take at least two of them kill one townie (compared to three townies per townie); however, if they try to attack several people per night, the targets may be sufficiently defended for mafiosi to be uncovered or even killed on the spot. Investigative roles remain as usual, except adding a few specific ones (like learning the attack:defense ratio of a chosen character)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #556 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:57 pm »

How many people would this need to work?  That's the biggest problem right now is that games aren't really attracting more than 9-10 people (particularly active people).  If 3-4 die in a night, the game's going to be over pretty quickly... :-\
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 13, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

Hm, I wasn't aware of that problem, but I did plan on 16 people. But well, there aren't many games going on at the moment, so I think it's worth a shot even if only because of lack of alternatives :)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 13, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

Hm, I wasn't aware of that problem, but I did plan on 16 people. But well, there aren't many games going on at the moment, so I think it's worth a shot even if only because of lack of alternatives :)

Hmmm....

Active Games:

* Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia II
    * Mafia Salad
    * Don't Outguess the Mod 3
    * BYOR 5.5
    * BMXVIII

Games in Signups:

* The McCarthyism Game
    * Bring Your Own Winter Holiday Mafia
    * [Bastard Paranormal coming soon!]

Just how many people do you think hang around here? It's as active as I've seen it in a long time, frankly, and with festivities coming up, I don't think another 15+ people game is going to fill up until well into the new year...

...and, not to mistrust your new idea, or burst your bubble or anything, but you may want to try your hand at running a less complex game before you decide to open up a 16 people new variant game with brand new rules as your first mod... just sayin'.

The idea is interesting, and merits lots of discussion, I just don't think entertaining thoughts of actually running it soon is realistic.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #559 on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:13 pm »

Because I have nothing else to do. (Not true, I just really don't want to be as productive as I should be today :-\)

Active Games:
Games in Signups:
Paranormal 17 was rather unusual with 16 players and even that had three replacements.

So by all means, run something. It can't hurt to have more experienced mods. But plan on ~9 players.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2010, 03:19:27 pm »

I was thinking about gametypes (not going to be running or joining anything for a while; I prefer the brainstorm department) recently, and this idea came to me: a Bastard Mod game taken to the logical extreme. Basically, the mod has the goal of throwing wrenches into everyone's plans, be they mafia, town, or whatever, via role manipulation and ad lib balancing. Suspicious guy that everyone is going to inspect/block? Reflex Arsonist. Confirmed Townie? Cultist.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

It's very difficult to get a confirmed townie in an open setup.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #562 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:20 pm »

MOD: So-and-such is a confirmed townie.
EVERYONE: Lynch him!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »

Well, there are a fair few people who only play Paranormals.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 13, 2010, 04:46:09 pm »

Remember the very first "Kill Webadict Now"?
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:39 pm »

Remember the very first "Kill Webadict Now"?
I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:59 am »

An idea for a game: Small number of player actually play the game, probably like 3 or 4. However, they don't vote to lynch. Instead, a group of ~9 players making up the jury decide who to lynch. Jurors get a QuickTopic that they use for throughout the game. Jurors and players may not communicate directly, although obviously the players can address the jury in general or even specific players in the jury. Jurors are free to discuss the game amongst themselves. Jurors who pick the scum win. The townies win if the mafioso is selected by the jury. The mafia wins if the jury selects someone else as guilty.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #567 on: December 22, 2010, 12:07:09 am »

I am intrigued.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 22, 2010, 12:43:32 am »

An idea for a game: Small number of player actually play the game, probably like 3 or 4. However, they don't vote to lynch. Instead, a group of ~9 players making up the jury decide who to lynch. Jurors get a QuickTopic that they use for throughout the game. Jurors and players may not communicate directly, although obviously the players can address the jury in general or even specific players in the jury. Jurors are free to discuss the game amongst themselves. Jurors who pick the scum win. The townies win if the mafioso is selected by the jury. The mafia wins if the jury selects someone else as guilty.
Wasn't that basically one of the Boot Camp ideas before we settled on it?

More intriguing could be a "Hired" juror working for the mafia or something like that.

Or, God forbid, election-style Jury mafia, wherein a jury is systematically and anonymously elected overnight and the two or three leftovers attempt to prove innocence. The Jury votes anonymously on the lynchee and talks in the quicktopic anonymously.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:44 am »

I was trying to keep it simple for the starter version, but yeah, I did have the idea for jurors that are sided with the mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 108