Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140909 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »

Bastard Paranormal: You tell the players about hidden rules existing, role ambiguity, etc. Paranormal: Paranoid.

Then make it a mountainous game with Paranormal flavor.

This is the best thing. The best.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:07 pm »

Bastard Paranormal: You tell the players about hidden rules existing, role ambiguity, etc. Paranormal: Paranoid.

Then make it a mountainous game with Paranormal flavor.

This is the best thing. The best.
Better yet: There are no Doppelgangers.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »

:o

Nobody wins. The last two survivors lose even harder when they realize what they have done.
I can see it now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:12 pm »

:o

Nobody wins. The last two survivors lose even harder when they realize what they have done.
Extra, extra! Town commits mass murder! Imaginary enemies to blame!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:56 pm »

But that ruins the point of having a more normal game than normal.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:26 pm »

but it's hilarious! And isn't that what really matters?
I can see it now.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 01, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »

But that ruins the point of having a more normal game than normal.

It's so normal it became Paranormal again
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #532 on: December 01, 2010, 10:57:45 pm »

Alright, here's what I'm thinking for rules so far then.

Argembarger's "Decisive" Mafia
Alpha Version 0.01a
\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/

Rules:
Standard Mafia rules. No editing, no quoting PMs from mod or players, no talking after you die.
72 hour days. NO EXTENSIONS. Days will auto-end when everyone has voted. Saturday and Sunday together count as 24 hours.
24 hour nights. It is possible the nights will end early. If so, the extra time is added to the beginning of the next day.

Votes in red text. In case of a tie, the mod will decide who gets lynched randomly. If nobody votes, one person will be randomly lynched. The only way to get a no-lynch is to vote for it. Lynches are decided based on whoever gets the most votes, not a majority. No-lynches work the same way.

THERE ARE NO UNVOTES. You cannot change your vote once cast, no matter what it was for or why you cast it. Votes are reset between days.

MAFIA:
At the beginning of the game, there will be a 48 hour period. During this time, the Mafia will convene and decide in what order they will kill the townspeople every night. This kill-list, once submitted, can not be altered or diverted from except in one way. Once and only once, the Mafia can choose to STOP a kill. This sends the person they were going to kill that night to the end of the list, and they kill the next person in line instead. This can only be done once. The Mafia must also choose the line of succession. The first person on this list does all the mafia killing. If they die, the next person on the list handles the killing, and so on.

This "Line of Succession" also applies to the kill list itself. If the chosen Mafia target for that night was already killed for some reason, the mafia simply moves on to the next one in line.

PRE-POST EDIT: The scum DOES have temporary manual control when a kill is prevented. If the Mafioso in question is blocked, they may shift him somewhere else in the line of succession. If the target is protected, they can choose to try again or not. If they try again, the next attempt will happen the following night. If they do not try again, the target in question is moved somewhere else in the hit list order, and the next one in line is their target for the following night.

POWER ROLES:
Power Roles will not be as restricted as the scum is. During the pre-game 48 hour period, everyone with a power role must submit what they will do on Night 1. During Night 1, they submit what they will do on Night 2, and so on. This simply means they must plan ahead one night. Unlike scum, they can never choose to stop an action once decided. Decide to vigkill someone the next night, then find out they were a Paranoid War Veteran during the day? Too bad, man. Too bad.

You can always, however, choose NOT to do an action the next night at all. Unless your role doesn't allow that.
IMPORTANT: If your role requires you to take an action every night, and you do not submit an action, you will randomly target someone.

My Thoughts:
I think it's an interesting set-up. Daytime chat ought to feel fundamentally different than normal Mafia since the scum and people with power roles will already know what's going to happen the next night and will have to talk around that. Claiming will be different, too. Probably a lot easier to prove, since you have to commit to an action before the day even starts. So they know on Day 1 that if you say you are going to do something on night 1, and it happens, that you are probably telling the truth.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could become unbalancing. I may have to deal with this somehow.

Random voting stage will obviously be gone. Now it will be the Flagrant, Uncalled For Finger Of Suspicion Stage, or FUFFOSS.

Analyzing voting patterns... heh heh heh. Have a field day with that.

No more waffling. No more OMGUS votes. You thought they were scummy enough to vote for, but then you found out they weren't? Whoops, oh well.

The weight of a vote is also MASSIVELY increased. The threat of voting, the magnitude of FoS's, all have much more power. When you can't change your vote, you gotta mean what you say and say what you mean.

Lurkers. This will be interesting. "Decisive" Mafia has many elements that are much more automated than normal Mafia. Because of some of the automation, the game system may very well plow through on its own, disregarding lurkers completely. Who knows?

Overeager Serial Killer starts lurking? People are gonna start dying without rhyme or reason, ha.

Thoughts, Suggestions, and Rampant Speculation Welcome!
I can see it now.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 01, 2010, 11:03:25 pm »

Just for grins, drop a SK who chooses his kills normally. Helps balance the fortuneteller claiming. If you want, you could give the mafia a roleblocker that acts this way. Throws more uncertainty into it.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #534 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »

Hehe, have a couple normal, indecisive folks in for some spice? I like it.

...This is gonna turn into a straight-up bastard ruleset if I'm not careful, if it isn't already...
I can see it now.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 01, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »

Spice and that it could be a useful machination for not doing a claimaction.

Alternatively, have a two-person third party which only gets blocks and redirects, no kills or anything, but gets to decide night-of instead of night-before. Maybe a hidden vote or vote sabotage or something.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #536 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:50 pm »

Mischievous Bus Driving Prostitutes? Heh. Their win condition is: When everyone's goddamn confused as hell.

No, but, something similar to that is a pretty good idea for balancing. I like the potential for a mafia same-night roleblocker, even the threat of that should be enough to keep things in line.

On a completely unrelated note, I just thought of a funny role. The Candlejack. A Serial Killer who kills the first person to say their name that da
I can see it now.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:21 am »

On a completely unrelated note, I just thought of a funny role. The Candlejack. A Serial Killer who kills the first person to say their name that day.

This is so awesome, I'm claiming this the next BYOR! Say my name, you bastards. I DARE you, say my frickin' name! 

But going back to the other posts, I have to add: If I'm killed, I WILL COME BACK TO LIFE if I post only in limericks, iambic pentameter, or other poetic form to the deadchat: I'm back as a SERIAL KILLER ZOMBIE POET! OOOHHH YEAH! I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!

Someone run this damned thing, plase.

My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 02, 2010, 02:17:06 am »

I plan, after finals, to unlock the old BYOR:T, NOT reveal its secrets so I can reuse them, and run a new one.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:09 am »

I plan, after finals, to unlock the old BYOR:T, NOT reveal its secrets so I can reuse them, and run a new one.

At this point, dear, you must be mistaking me for someone who gives a fuck.

It has just been too fucking long. Unlock it or don't, reveal it or not, but just shut up about it. Do run another one if, and only if, you will have time to actually run the frickin' thing. I would love to play it. But quit doting on the old girl. She's dead, and your having intercourse with its corpse is only funny for so long...
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 108