Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140841 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2010, 01:19:11 pm »

Had an interesting idea for a mafia game. One where everyone has two roles, one public and one private. All public roles have an ability of some sort. Private roles may or may not have powers but determine the alignment of the player.

This would allow for some interesting roles (like the Kid role I came up with for Paranormal that needs an extra vote to lynch) that don't work in normal mafia games because only having one or two people with known roles makes them an automatic target. If everyone has a known role, that mitigates that a good bit.

Still needs a lot of work on the specifics, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2010, 02:29:38 pm »

So... Smalltown+?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »

Pretty much, yeah.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2010, 07:23:01 pm »

Senate Mafia
So, at any part of a CONVENING, a Senator may propose a rule. This rule must be SECONDED within three hours, or it fails, and cannot be brought back that CONVENING. Then, to pass, it must have a MAJORITY, or it will fail, and cannot be brought back that CONVENING. A rule cannot target a specific person, or group. A rule cannot be used to show alignments, or roles. A rule cannot change alignments. A rule cannot change win conditions. Then, there is a LYNCH PROPOSAL, which works like a rule, but can target a specific person. Once it gets a MAJORITY, that person is lynched, and the CONVENING ends and BREAK begins.

Roles
Senator
Active Powers
-
Passive Powers
-
Win Condition
Senate/Corrupt Win

Chairman

Active Powers
-Veto
A Chairman may veto one rule that would have reached a majority. It is then stopped, unless it gains a 2/3 vote following up.
Passive Powers
-
Win Condition

Senate/Corrupt Win

Conflicted Senator
Active Powers
-
Passive Powers

-Conflicted:Has a 50% chance of voting oppositely for a rule.
Win Condition
Senate Win

Journalist
Active Powers
-Inquisitive
The Journalist may, once per Break, check a Senator's alignment.
Passive Powers
-Not Part of This
The Journalist is not a part of what is taking place, so his/her vote will not count, and he/she is not effected by any rules.
Win Condition
Senate/Corrupt Win

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »

aaand

"Corrupt Senators may use their ill-gotten monies to purchase ADVERTISING to force a Senator or Journalist to RESIGN, collectively, once per break"
right?

Also, can Journalists propose rules?

Could be expanded with Lobbyists (vigilantes) and Campaign Managers (doctors, they REELECT their target). Or, could let the Journalist protect someone instead by showing the ADVERTISING to be misleading.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

When I made up a similar game in my head, I had the politicians commit suicide after scandals about them were revealed by the mafia.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »

And of course the Respected Senator, who has an image of teflon! No scandal sticks, journalists can't dig up anything!

...I suppose it could be IMPEACHMENT if you wanted to fully theme it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2010, 08:49:54 pm »

Mine was based on the rather cynical principle of "every politician has something he must hide".  But yeah.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2010, 07:41:22 am »

4 groups of mafia. 3 members each. 1 townie, with the ability to kill 1 person each night.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2010, 01:52:39 pm »

Cheeetar, who wins if the Townie goes?

There was some discussion about a Half-Life Mafia, and I put some thought into it and it might be interesting. There are a few ways you could play it, but I was particularly thinking Half-Life 2. So here's some role concepts I've come up with.

Metro-Cop: A few configurations I can think of. The first one gives the Metro-Cop the ability to either inspect or kill. Either one would be revealed to all the players. This configuration seems over-powered without some other role that reveals all its actions or something. The other configuration would be a Day-Cop who would likewise raid a house, and have the choice to inspect the player or kill the player. A death wouldn't be revealed until the next day - only the raid.

Gordon Freeman (SK?): Gordon Freeman would have a lot of abilities. I think he would be ascetic, have a kill, and perhaps a one-shot eradicate. Also a one-to-two-shot revive. That's all I've got for now.

Have to work the other Combine forces in too. All the Synths too. Have a Strider with a one-shot eradicate haha

Anyway, then there are the HORRORS OF XEN

Headcrab: Perhaps when you attempted to make your kill, if your target had a kill ability that he didn't use that night, he'd kill you instead, since you're just a freaking headcrab. Or rather, perhaps it would only work on straight-up Townies. If your kill was successful, you'd transform into a Headcrab Zombie, who would have a normal kill ability. Sounds kind of like a disadvantageous role, in retrospect, but hey. Sometimes you get those ones.

Then you might have Headcrab Varients. The Poison Headcrab might poison anyone who it couldn't kill and capture, killing them the next night - unless they were healed. And of course, then they'd make Poison Headcrab Zombies, who could throw Poison Headcrab Zombies that would either convert townies or poison other people. And Fast Headcrabs, that would produce Fast Headcrab Zombies, that would be ascetic or kill immune.

Barnacles might attempt to kill anyone who actioned them, sort of like a paranoid gunfighter.

I have no idea what Antlions would do. Other than probably kill people, like half of the people in the bloody series.

The only reason I can think of for a protect would be from Medics. THe only ability I can think of to give the Rebels is "kill." Which everyone has already. Which would make it retarded.

So yeah, I coudl use a hand with this.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:53 pm »

Reincarnation Mafia
Basically, kind of like KotM, with the players coming back and the game only ending when scum wins, but you randomly get the "memories" of a dead player, knowing what they have done. It would be interesting.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »

Interesting idea, but there's an issue of motivation:

1. What laws would the town want to place?

2. What's the motivation behind putting laws that others may not like?

You could make it so that the game is VERY restrictive (no roleflips, for example) and the town votes to remove the restrictions but then you have LASD mafia again and I imagine you are aiming more for the town making their own laws.
I actually came here to suggest a game like this...guess I wasn't the first to think of it though :p
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2010, 01:00:00 am »

I know I said I would do WIFOM Mafia (anybody even REMEMBER it?), but I'm not. Anybody else wanna run it?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:00 am »

Mine.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 30, 2010, 06:21:08 pm »

Yeah, I still think it would be cool.  Maybe in a bit, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 108