Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140785 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2010, 07:10:24 pm »

I go on gut feeling all the time, mostly because my gut has about a 70% success ratio, and my head has like a 10% success ratio.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2010, 08:11:45 pm »

A dead Townie, by definition, can't help the town anymore. There's everybody else looking back at their past words, sure, but most of us don't do that nearly as often as we should. So what it comes down to is that everybody wants to feel like they've helped in some way. Most players would rather be something like a Radiant or Gremlin. At least then they feel like they COULD do something useful, even if they're instead doing nothing or hurting the town most of the time. So I think what we really need are more weak-ish roles for the town. The Xylbot Watcher is a perfect example. It's knowledge, but it's not going to win the game or clear someone on its own. You need either a non-matching claim, another player providing more information, or a decision based on the day-game. The first one's pretty frequent (although would happen less often in a forum setting), the second is really rare, and the third would be a good thing. That's all not even considering that the result might actually prove nothing, but even then, the player would think "There's always the next night and the day game to catch scum".

Say, we should run a Dephy (or is it Dethy?). It could get pretty chaotic and thus fun! If you need more variant cops, lemme just throw a bunch out: one that reports a faction the player is not (Player X is NOT neutral); ones that report all townies as mafia, all mafiosos as neutral, and all neutrals as town; one that inspects two people and reports their alignments, but not who has which one; and of course combined roles such as a cop roleblocker or cop doctor. Anti-town roles include: a combined cop serial killer, a miller, a godfather, a frame artist, a mafia guy that makes his target naive or paranoid, a guy where his alignment shifts to match the inspections on him (neutral should be sk, mafia should be mafia-ally, town should be a townie, all with no actions except the sk who can kill), and just for kicks, an sk that can hide an unlimited number of times and randomly turn someone into an Ascetic in addition to killing or hiding.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:21 pm »

^  A+ report.

*takes more notes for the eventual BYOR
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:22 pm »

Dethy is just an exercise in spreadsheet-making. :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »

OhgodnotDethySpiral.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »

Dethy is just an exercise in spreadsheet-making. :I

I was trying to eliminate the ability to say "Player A is scum, guaranteed". Player A or B being scum, sure. Best case would be "Oh, this is a closed setup. There's ALWAYS a way for any player to be scum". THAT'S the kind of bastard modding I can get behind.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »

That's not really bastard modding though, like Pandar said, it's just spreadsheet making. Dethy relies on the ability to just cross-reference results.

It's hilarious fun if you don't know what all the roles are, but when you know what all the roles are, it's reduced to a slog.

It's also not actually bastard modding, since the mod isn't being a bastard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »

In Dethy, it's almost always possible to deduce the scum logically (unless a certain player is playing).

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »

That's not really bastard modding though, like Pandar said, it's just spreadsheet making. Dethy relies on the ability to just cross-reference results.

It's hilarious fun if you don't know what all the roles are, but when you know what all the roles are, it's reduced to a slog.

It's also not actually bastard modding, since the mod isn't being a bastard.

If you only guarantee one player is a sane cop and make no guarantees about the scum, you can be a total asshole to the players and make roles just to piss them off.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »

Bastard Mods are usually characterised by the following;

*  They create/modify Roles which seem to imbalance the game;
    * They create/modify Roles which actually imbalance the game;
    * They create/modify Rules or Game Mechanics in such a way as to change the nature of the game;
    * They otherwise don't do what the players expect them to do.
    * They usually lie to the players

Giving out bastard roles is sort of bastard modding, but it's a pretty weaksauce version unless the roles are truely horrible like "You lose."

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:44 pm »

In Dethy, it's almost always possible to deduce the scum logically (unless a certain player is playing).
I wonder who this certain player is.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »

An idea that creeped into my head

basic idea.

The town is a normal town with regular roles, such as cop, doc, and roleblock... but the mafia is not.

The mafia is technically standard: they get a mafia kill, perhaps another role or two like roleblocker.  They get a mafia chat.  The method of performing the kill is altered: In mafia chat, the mafia group votes on who will perform the kill.  Then the mafia member send the kill request via PM to the host.  Mafiachat-send requests will NOT be accepted.  Tied votes will result in NO kill.

However, their size isn't normal.  In a 11 player game, there will be 5 mafiosos.  Yes, there's only 6 town.

The catch to this 'early lylo'?  Each mafia member's goal ISN'T to match the town..instead they compete with each other for the title of Godfather.  How do they do it?

1 - If only 1 mafioso is alive, and the town is defeated.

2 - If the town is completely eliminated, whoever was involved in the most kills (1 kill = voting on the person that ended up lynched or performing the nightkill.  Note kills done on town or scum can count and yes, the nightkill can be directed at mafia)

3 - If there is a tie in kills, the winner is chosen at random (literally: Random.org WILL be used).

Note that should the mafia be eliminated, the entire town wins.

Sidenotes: 

The town will be given a healthy dose of power roles, though all will be 'common' such as doctor, watcher, and vigilante.  Also this is a closed setup: I will not state what roles can exist or how many.

There will be no roleflips upon death.  This means the town can't simply piece together how many scum are left but the scum won't know what roles were killed.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 10, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »

I would in that.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

Super Mario Bros Mafia. I have many ideas for this one.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2010, 07:05:34 pm »

Hm... there was a game I was thinking of. I forget what it was.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 108