Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140851 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1290 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:34 pm »

The flavor is fine other than the fact that I don't drink and, quite frankly, I'm angered by even the thought. But it's pretty good flavor other than my silly nit-pick.

Noted.

Sorry about offending you... It was an accident, but you are more than justified at being a bit peturbed. I basically pulled names and sort of wrote as I went. Still, rest assured that I'll make a note about that in the future!

If it's any comfort, I don't actually drink myself. Never really felt the need to.

I'll backup GM. Also you should probably announce the game in the games threshold discussion thread.

You will now be reffered to as Spymaster Zombie Urist. Congratulations on your promotion!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:25 am »

After being attacked by daruish, I am afraid of offending anyone by accidentally posting in the wrong thread again. Hopefully this is the right thread.
Quote from: my post in the wrong thread
How about an E3 type of game split into four factions. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and indie. Every faction has unique power roles that could revolve around converting players or something, I don't know. Just thought that if I threw out the idea others could help come up with the rules and how the entire thing would work.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:39 am »

This is indeed the correct thread.

Multiple factions can work pretty well. The only real downside to it is that there is a higher chance that any given faction is going to be placed in a nearly unwinnable situation early on. You also have to figure out how things work at the end-game with tiebreakers. Normally, it's Mafia wins if they have equal to or greater number of players than the town. With more than two actual factions, that logic doesn't quite work as-is.

I'd probably balance it by having the teams get powered inversely depending on where they are on the tiebreaker totem. So the team that beats everyone else in a 1-1-1-1 tie get the weakest power roles.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 07, 2013, 11:49:48 am »

A higher chance of success in the long run but you give up short term convenience and strength pretty much. Seems fair.

How would a conversion system work, I've seen them before but the game was a bust.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 07, 2013, 11:54:31 am »

A cult type system? Probably a bad choice in a game with that many factions. Those work better as either a replacement scum team or a third party in a standard mafia game.

For 4 factions you're really just better off using standard powers with maybe a unique team power.

Besides, by the time a game is at E3 it's far to late to be talking about changing platforms. :p
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »

What you CAN do is have the "Indie" side effectively be non-exclusive with other side victories.

Then each of the three "platforms" could essentially be cults that could try and pull in the Indies. (but can't cult the already-converted)

The Indies could have their own initial wincon that gets overwritten, meaning they have an incentive to either: not get converted at all, or only get converted by the ultimate winner.

It could be interesting, at least.

On another note, I've been thinking of doing a fairly basic System Shock 2 themed mafia game - would anyone be interested?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:46 pm »

Isn't that basically how the Religious Mafia way back when worked?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:54 pm »

Religious Flame War Mafia suffered from a couple of issues - firstly, that the value of scumhunting was highly debatable, since all it did was piss off mafia members and make them more likely to kill you.  And secondly, the weird kill mechanics meant that it was possible for one scumteam to decapitate the other and then claim in-thread (after which the game was basically locked with the claimed scumteam's inevitable victory).

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 30, 2013, 10:58:16 am »

The real problem was that most of the "town" were actually Survivors, who win so long as they don't die. So they have an incentive to stay passive and not attract much attention (which would most likely get them killed).

Reducing the number of Survivors in the game would help to fix most of the problems that were in Religious Flame War Mafia.

I...might be considering overhauling Religious Mafia, if I have time to do so.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:59:55 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 30, 2013, 11:11:10 am »

I...might be considering overhauling Religious Mafia, if I have time to do so.
Haha, I remember how you overhauled Cybrid. No thanks.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 30, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

Playing isn't mandatory.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 30, 2013, 11:38:14 am »

working on an idea of my own, the key gimmick is that one invulnerable (from everything) player has total control of the day (only their vote counts, and day ends when they vote, not based on time), their win condition is to identify the one player that is their ally from all the rest, and make that player the last player standing. they have no faction chat, and don't know who their ally is. each of the other factions want one of their players to be the last one standing instead. as a rule of thumb, the larger the faction, the weaker the power roles they'd have. game ends one way or another when there's only one player left standing (the invuln player doesn't count, and signups for the invuln role would be separated from the normal player signups, similar to how ICs are handled in BM games.) no roleflips.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »

working on an idea of my own, the key gimmick is that one invulnerable (from everything) player has total control of the day (only their vote counts, and day ends when they vote, not based on time), their win condition is to identify the one player that is their ally from all the rest, and make that player the last player standing. they have no faction chat, and don't know who their ally is. each of the other factions want one of their players to be the last one standing instead. as a rule of thumb, the larger the faction, the weaker the power roles they'd have. game ends one way or another when there's only one player left standing (the invuln player doesn't count, and signups for the invuln role would be separated from the normal player signups, similar to how ICs are handled in BM games.) no roleflips.

So: 1 Invulnerable player who wins when they have eliminated everyone but their ally. they are the only player to vote, it's obvious who the invuln player is so that there is no reason to false-claim. Looking bad so far I'm afraid.

It seems like a very exploitable set-up if I understand it properly. How does one player scum-hunt when EVERYONE says the same thing "I'm on your team dude!". Could you  go into more detail about the way this would work. Some examples of the various factions?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 30, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

Kingmaker: Aerys II Targaryen Edition?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »

May as well through my idea up for speculation:

The central mechanic is that everyone has second lives and the day cycle is divided into three phases instead of two.

During the morning phase everyone votes to take away the extra life of one player and give it to another player.  The players with the most vote in either category will be selected (as opposed to the most voted pairing).  If a player requests replacement, both of their bodies are also up for voting, similarly with players who have been absent for over 72 hours.  This phase lasts 24 hours without extension.

During this phase out of town guests (people in the replacement queue) may post once offering their candidacy for becoming a part of the town, town may then vote them in by giving them a body to inhabit.  If they are taking the primary body of another player they are counted as replacing that player and get their role and win-con.  If they only receive a secondary body they are randomly assigned a win-con with weighted chances based on the number of each side that voted for them receiving the body (so if 3 town and 1 mafia voted for them, they would have a 75% chance of being town and 25% chance of being scum).

During the day phase business is as normal: The player voted to be lynched only loses one life.  This phase would last 48 hours

The night phase is also fairly normal, players send in their actions etc.  This phase lasts 24 hours.

For the basic version the power-roles I have in mind are:
Spoiler: Mafia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Town (click to show/hide)

Additional power roles I want to add but aren't part of the basic game:
Spoiler: 3rd party (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Town (click to show/hide)

Aesthetically I'm thinking this works within a cyberpunk theme.

Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 108