Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140943 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1080 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »

lol. I haven't played LoL in ages, but it could be alright. I'd play it.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 28, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »

Woo! Back!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »

Woo! Back!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 06, 2012, 10:44:52 am »

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 21, 2012, 01:59:25 am »

As you know, I intend to run a Cybrid game. I've been working with the main rules & role post, and I'd like people's opinions. My main areas of concern are to make sure it's both balanced and consistent. I've bolded a few lines below on which I'm hesitant and would like opnions, as well as the following topics where I'd like mods to weigh in on how best to handle things:

a) knowledge: I'm a doctor, I protected someone, do I know if they were attacked? Do they know if a kill on them failed thanks to my protection? Likewise, if I'm an Enforcer (vig) do I know if my kill succeeded or failed due to a protection or some other reason? Attempted rebel/imperial persuasions don't know if they succeed ("I'll think about it"), but cybrid conversions are guaranteed success unless prevented, yes? An investigation returns "failed" if player was blocked or target was cybrid, but other blocked actions know their failure was due to a block, yes?

b) conversions: there are two flavours in this game: imperials and rebels persuading each other of the righteousness of their cause; or a cybrid invasively replacing their brain with a cybrid brain. I think a doctor or guard can't prevent the first (a conversation), but should be able to prevent the second (essentially a kill, removing their brain and switching allegiances). Does this sound fair?

c) faction kill: rebels do not get a faction NK. Cybrids do, but a given player can only perform one action per night (i.e., same cybrid cannot convert and kill). Any cybrid convert gains access to the cybrid chat of his maker. A cybrid metagen SK gets his own nightly kill, which he must keep secret from other cybrids (as he also wants them dead).

Rules & Roles post, taken mostly from Cybrid V: Please say if it's ready for prime time or propose fixes where necessary.

Imperials
Win Condition: Imperials win if the cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the rebels, and the rebels have no kill roles remaining.
Guaranteed Officer: Imperial Commander - Receives reports from other Officers. Has access to Imperial quick chat, and can invite others at any time. This cannot be undone. Also has access to the Overseer's announcement system to talk during the night. Commanders can not be persuaded.
Imperial Officer: Has a role from the list below. Name is known to Commander, and can report actions. If converted by a cybrid they can submit false reports. Imperial Officers can not be persuaded by rebels.
Enforcer - May commit nightkills.
Speaker - Converts another player to the imperial alliance unless they are cybrid or an officer/commander. Uninformed of success or failure.
Investigator -  Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, Unknown(if the ability fails, targets a neutral/third party, or targets a cybrid).

Rebels
Win Condition: Rebels win if the cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the imperials, and the imperials have no kill roles remaining.
Guaranteed Officer: Rebel Commander - Counts as a Rebel Officer, can also have one of the roles below. Has access to Rebel quick chat, and can invite others at any time. This cannot be undone.
Rebel Officer - Has a role from the list below. Name is not known to Rebel Commander, and cannnot report actions. Officers are immune to Imperial conversion attempts.
Organizer - If a fellow rebel uses an ability on them, he learns the identity of that rebel and has the ability to cancel the action.
Saboteur - Roleblocker (target can not use any abilities that night or the following day).
Persuader - Converts another player to the rebel alliance unless they are cybrid or an Officer. Uninformed of success or failure.
Informant - Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, Unknown (if the ability fails or targets a cybrid).
Martyr - Has a single day or night kill. Dies in the process when used, on account of it being a bomb.
Snowman - Has access to the Overseer's announcement system.

Additional Roles (May be Rebel or Imperial, may be combined with other roles):
Guard - May simultaneously Protect/Roleblock another player by saying GUARD Player (bolded) in main thread during the day. A guarded player is unaffected by lynches, kills or conversions and may not take actions. This effect lasts until this player specifically says UNGUARD in thread during the day, or as a night action send a PM ending the guard. It also ends if they are roleblocked, or if the ability is ended by outside forces (for example: death).
Doctor - Protects a player from night kills, and cybrid conversions. Doctors will be informed if they saved a person's life.
Companion - Protects a player from persuasion attempts (from rebel/imperial only).
Weak  - Combo-role. This player dies if the cybrid attempt to convert him. Parasites will be killed, but machinators will not lose the brain they used.
Healthy  - Combo-role. This player can survive through a single kill or cybrid conversion attempt, but not a lynch.
Soldier/Civilian - A vanilla imperial or rebel, these roles have no real power beyond their voices.
Cybrid Sympathizer - An unhinged invidual who supports the cybrid cause, and counts towards a cybrid faction victory (not metagen). He wins if at least one faction cybrid survives to game end and wins - but not in cases where everyone dies (a win condition for normal cybrids). This player still counts as a rebel/imperial when inspected, based on their current superficial alignment, and may have rebel/imperial roles.

Cybrids
Win Condition: Except where noted below, Cybrids win when all remaning players are aligned with a cybrid victory, and all metagens have been exterminated.
Cybrid roles: A cybrid role will be "randomly" chosen from a subset of cybrid roles upon a successful creation or conversion.
Machinator//Infiltrator - The only one capable of creating more cybrids. He has three positronic brains he can use to create another cybrid. One of those three will create a Metagen (unaligned cybrid).
Inquisitor//Analyzer - Capable of detecting a target's sympathies and abilities. The inquisitor//analyzer will not only reveal a player's alignment, but their entire role - including if they are weak or not.
Inquisitor//Duplicator - May see the full role of any killed player. Whenever a player dies, may gain one of that player's abilities. May only have one duplicated ability at a time, and must choose to gain the ability during or immediately after the phase in which the player died. If a Duplicator is created due to a conversion, it may choose to duplicate an ability from that player's original role.
Hunter//Killer - Has a night kill.
Machinator//Ghost - Capable of using the Overseer's intercom system.
Hunter//Goad - Immune to actions from other players.
Machinator//Parasite - You may convert another player into a Machinator//Parasite. You are killed.
Redactor//Reprogrammer - Each day, may repogram another cybrid unit to randomly change their role. If this is attempted against a metagen, his existance is revealed and the unit is destroyed. [salvaged from Cybrid I]
Metagen//Traitor - Survivor. Does not count as scum for Imperial/Rebel win conditions. Wins if the game ends with a human victory and he is still alive. May be paired with another cybrid role.
Metagen//Defective - Serial killer. Can execute an independent nightly kill. Wins only if it is the last entity standing. May be paired with another cybrid role.

Additional Rules:
Action type order:
Chat invites (free action) -> Guards (day thread action or night PM) -> Blocks -> Protects -> Investigates -> Converts -> Kills
Actions occur simultaneously except in situations, like converts, where order matters, in which case order will be random.
Blocks against blockers do not block blocks.

Players can have several role attributes. Some, like Healthy, Weak, and Rebel Commander will always have another role attached to them. Several other compound roles are possible for balance purposes.

The Cybrids have a standard mafia night kill they can use in place of their regular action (with the exceptions of passive or use whenever actions like the Duplicator, Goad, and Ghost). If an aligned Hunter/Killer uses a standard night kill, it becomes a double kill (or if there's another cybrid around, they can target two people.) If the cybrids attempt to kill a sympathizer, they will be offered the option of turning that sympathizer to the cybrid faction instead. However, that individual would no longer turn up as town on investigations. (I think the kill should happen, unless a Machinator//Infiltrator chooses to use one of his brains on him, please say if you disagree and how would this work).

Imperial Officers MUST say via PM to the Mod the results they would like to report to the Imperial Commander, in the format "I (verbed) (player) and he/she is (imperial/cybrid/rebel/dead/blocked)." If they do not, their true report will be sent, none if none exist.

Speakers and Persuaders can convert each other (if not officers). If they do, the other player becomes a Speaker/Persuader, as appropriate, rather than maintaining their original roles. (Whatever they do, they do it with full passion!) Converting a sympathizer will change his superficial alignment (how he appears on investigates) but will not change his sympathizer status or win conditions.

PMs between players are NOT allowed. Any communication, like sending chat invites and reporting results, must go through the Mod. So do NOT send them to your intended recipient: send them to ME, along with instructions on who I should pass it to.

That's the end of the rules & roles post. I'm ready to host this game as soon as I'm satisfied that the above has been discussed and reviewed to a balanced and workable state.

For Earth!
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:11 am »

Well I start classes in a week.  I feel like doing anything would be a bad idea until I have a schedule going.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »

I'm not a mod, but question A struck me as a little funny. I mean, how could he not know if the guy was attacked?

Doctor:" Patient 14 had 7 gunshot wounds, 3rd degree burns on 40% of his body, and I had to amputate the left arm at the elbow. This guy really needs to quit bumping into doors. They're dangerous!"
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:30 pm »

It's because informing your doctors turns an already powerful role into a very powerful role.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 21, 2012, 06:24:58 am »

I just had an awesometastical idea. BYOWinCon. Nifty, no?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:25 am »

We already had one with all SKs.  :P
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 21, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

That could be pretty fascinating.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:37 pm »

I win if I spend an entire day posting in-character as Team Rocket.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:03 am »

I win if I replace in for myself.

THAT would be one hell of a meta-game.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 22, 2012, 03:17:18 am »

I win if I spend an entire day posting in-character as Team Rocket.
Too OP.

I win if I replace in for myself.

THAT would be one hell of a meta-game.
Sure why not. Hope you like losing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2012, 04:03:26 am »

I win when every living player has said the word "elephant" at least once over the course of the game.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 108