Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140958 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1065 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:41 am »

Then make the first person to be converted by the original leader become leader after the original's death.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:03 am »

You know, I just thought of an awesome idea. Well, I probably won't consider it awesome anymore after several responses, but anyway.

Scum don't know each other's identity and don't have a QT. However, each of them may send one message at the beginning of the game to every other scum via the mod. Cryptographic posts and hidden messages ahoy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:43:54 am by Dariush »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

How about a slightly different idea.
Encryption mafia, where the mafia get an initial key and/or transposition method or something and every post is required to have a 50-to-100-symbol thing at the end.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

Everyone will be able to instantly figure them out simply by making a post ending with 50 zeros.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 03, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

So, I've got yet another idea (in addition to the generally ignored one three posts above this one).

Instead of traditional teams, players are separated into 'levels', let's say four of them. One player starts on level 4, two on level 3, everyone else on level 1. Level 1 is town, no special powers. Level 2 is power role, every night can either inspect or vig someone. Level 3 is cult-like scum, every night has an NK. Level 4 is... let's say God, who has a survivor wincon and can either inspect, vig or NK someone (bear with me). Lynches and viggings, instead of outright killing someone, instead lower their level by one. NKs raise them by one. Anybody with either 0th or 5th level dies.

Well, the above was rather haphazard, since I am in a hurry and didn't want to delay this to tomorrow. The amount of levels, their properties and ways to move between them aren't solid, but the main idea is: people can move between levels and switch wincons and gain different abilities depending on their current level. Opinions are welcome.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:07:10 pm by Dariush »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 03, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »

The two players on level 3 claim, the town lynches each of them twice, everybody wins?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 03, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »

Hm... I like the general concept, but it could end up badly. There need to be more ways to die. As it is, it's impossible to die as scum. How about levels 1, 2, 4, and 5 exist. Some abilities might be able to change level by more than one level.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 03, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »

Basically, no team scum should ever be able to become town because they can just out their team (although in this game it's impossible for the scum to lose, and only possible for anybody else to lose if the scum feel like dicking them over).  The only type of scum that should ever be allowed to become town is Serial Killer (and then it should be very difficult and unlikely so the serial killer doesn't just claim).

I'd say if you just made it so that once you're at level 3 an attempt to lower it kills you would fix the biggest problem.  That way the level 3s become an interesting kind of limited cult (limited because their recruit is less reliable and will power up people who are level 1).

The other thing to bear in mind is that a cultist turning to level 4 is potentially problematic, but in practice only the cultists would want to raise anyone's level anyway.  Just make sure the cultists can't raise their own levels.  The "level 5 results in death" is kindof interesting since it means the cult can kill the survivor.

Some abilities might be able to change level by more than one level.
This would be cool too.  Give a "raise by two levels" to a town role and it's a really risky vig.  If you hit scum, you kill them, but if you hit a townie you make them into a cultist(!) or survivor.  Basically only fire if you're absolutely sure.  I'm not sure if you'd want to do something special for level 6.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:14 am »

Non-convertable scum sounds good. However, there's still the problem of scum-turned-survivor. If scum lose their member they'll either: a) know that he has been converted to survivor if we explicitly inform them about it or b) will have a survivor in their ranks who they think is scum if we don't. In any case, and especially in second scenario, the turned guy will be able to convert all his former teammates to survivor and quicken his own victory. However, in the first scenario, scum will be able to immediatly kill the turned guy. This makes any conversion out of scum deadly to at least one player. Is that an optimal situation?

Also, what will freshly-made level 2 do after being 'killed'? Will he immediatly claim and get lynched, turning him into level 1 to deny the scum a potential recruit?

And one final thing. If scum die by getting lynched, there's no point in raise-by-two-levels ability - it adds more risk (level 1 turning into scum), but no additional profit.

Meanwhile, during the last night I've thought of an alternate version of this setup that completely scraps town/scum division:

5 levels, each starts with two players, everyone's goal is to get over half of living players into his level. Additionally level 1 has a survivor wincon. Levels -1, 0 and 6 kill. Everyone except level 1ers know their teammates. If a level has an ability, everyone on the level can separately use this ability in the same night on different people. Nobody can do anything to his teammates.
Level 1: No abilities.
Level 2: Can uplevel by one.
Level 3: Can inspect.
Level 4: Can downlevel by one.
Level 5: Can downlevel by two.
During the day, everyone can vote either to bring someone up one level or down one level. To prevent everyone fullclaiming and congregating into the same team, a rule: if a player gets converted into the team that wins on the night of his conversion due to his conversion, he loses instead.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:18:23 pm by Dariush »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 04, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »

It's an interesting concept, but I think you're leaving the Mafia gametype at this point.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:42 pm »

So what do people think about how the Cybrid Mafia gametype has progressed? Are there still flaws that could be improved and things that could be changed for the better? Is it holding it's own as a valid gametype while remaining interesting?

I think I'm pretty close to having the rules set in stone by this point, with the clarifications I'm going to add from the most recent game, and I'm just wondering if there's anything else I'm missing.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »

Maybe we should wait until the current game finishes?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 26, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »

Well, the current rules and the tweaks that are going to made after this game are over are all out there... but I suppose you're right. Best to wait for now, request rescinded.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:35 am »

Guuuuuuys. I just got an aaaaaaawesome idea. BYOLoLC. :D And no, C doesn't stand for Cat. Who would be interested?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 24, 2012, 11:55:23 am »

Bring Your Own League of Legends Character?  Sounds like a lot of people would just end up rage-quitting.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 108