Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Journalistic Integrity  (Read 2883 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Journalistic Integrity
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:01:44 am »

We're both way off topic.

Yes we are, so i'm just going to quickly finish up here.

Again, your reasoning is faulty.  First of all, government controlled media is even more corruptible than commercial media.  They're controlled by the government, so if the government doesn't want them to report something, they better not report it, and yes, every government has things they don't want to get out to their public, like the fact that we invaded Iraq based on information they knew at the time was false, but went ahead with it anyway.

I would imagine the main difference here is that i am Australian and thus not afraid of my own Government; chalk it down to cultural differences.

Oh, and if you want to continue the Iraq discussion i'd be happy to (elsewhere), but note that the reasons publicly given for the invasion were complete bullshit, because the actual reasons were kind of dirty and not exactly nice.

This in particular has me befuddled.  Are you saying that you agree with me that subversive journalism is the unfortunate reality of the situation and that it's not good, while acting as though you're disagreeing with me?  Or are you arguing that we should accept things the way they currently are because they are currently that way?  If it's the first well... that's weird... If it's the second, then I'd have to point out the entirety of human history to you which illustrates how silly that reasoning is.

I agree that subversive journalism is the reality and that ideally honost journalism would be better, but i see no solution to the problem, and until a solution manifests i see no reason to whine about it.

Well with the government controlling your source of information for anything that might give you reason to fear the government, maybe you ought to be afraid.  Part of what a non-government media does is make sure the government doesn't get the final say on the truth.  Just imagine if we only had a government run news media in the US for the last 8 years.  And I mean, your own government is best known internationally for OMG GAMES ARE TEH DEVIL SENSOOORRr!!!!11one.

There's a very simple solution, demand accurate reporting.  Stop accepting things the way they are just because they are the way their are and do something about it.  Well, I'm not sure why I'm telling you that, but it goes against the whole point of American "democracy" to just sit around quietly waiting for someone else to fix your problems.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Journalistic Integrity
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:21:21 am »

The American government is known more for middle of the road game policies as opposed to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, nearly bringing down the world economy, or being, you know, the only superpower?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:30 am »

Making people aware and care about an ineffective media would require a major fuckup on their part. One that other outlets just can't ignore. One that would likely collapse a major news institution.

And we are best known internationally for games? Not any of the other generalizations one could possibly make?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:46 am »

Information is a product. Corporate news media brands sell information in very precise ways. These aren't subversive journalists, they know exactly what they're doing; selling a product. Stop buying it, and it will go away when it becomes unprofitable. Or get subsidized by the government *cough*GM*cough*. But I digress.

While I do not doubt he sincerity of individual journalists and 'journalists' who work for news agencies such as FOX, NBC, CNN, ABC, Or CBS, I do doubt the sincerity of the corporations in whole. The corporation does not care about ideologies, it cares about profit margins.

And we are best known internationally for games? Not any of the other generalizations one could possibly make?

Also Kangaroos.
!!&!!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:06 am »

Sorry, the other generalisations fell after you got Obama. Suddenly I've lost my hatred of all americans. Although that was probably compounded by the fact I like a lot of Americans I know on this forum.

Damn you bay12, for screwing with my pregudices.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:47 am »

The best sort of journalism is Gonzo journalism which is without politics or bias yet it is told from the journalist's mouth.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:51 am »

Go find my cheezburger page and look at the self-righteous patriotism and anti-Chinaness until you hate us again. Then kindly readmit the Bay to heaven.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:28:09 am »

I didn't say Australia, I said the Australian government.  As an American who was alive and aware for the last administration I'd be an idiot not to differentiate between the two.

Yes, if you are just talking about the country it's probably best known for Kangaroos, Funny accents, Barbecued Shrimp, beer, steakhouses, and convicts.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:52:49 am »

Journalistic integrity is a pet topic of mine. I don't know how some journalists sleep at night knowing what is published in their name. Fortunately the media is, as far as I know, not controlled by the government in my country. Not that the media here is any good, the tabloids hold far too much power over legislation through the fear our politicians have over what they publish. This wouldn't be a problem if the tabloids did not use fear and scandal to sell papers, pushing prejudice and bad facts in this way lacks any kind of integrity.

The best sort of journalism is Gonzo journalism which is without politics or bias yet it is told from the journalist's mouth.

I hope your not implying Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is not political. I always saw Gonzo journalism as a response to supposedly objective journalism. You cant take the journalist out of the journalism and Gonzo takes that to the extreme, even including fictional events at times. The great thing is that it doesn't hide it's bias, it can't with the extreme nature of it's content but it still can get to the heart of the topic. What is that famous quote about the afore mentioned book "the least factual, most accurate account" (of the elections).

If anyone hasn't heard of Chris Morris I'd suggest you check his work out. A lot of his work is satire of news presenters, not any in particular but the techniques they use. The papers here in the UK hate him. In relation to this topic I'd suggest On The Hour, The Day Today and Brass Eye. If you only follow one of those links I'd suggest Brass Eye, I do warn you though that it will likely provoke a knee jerk reaction in most people.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:31 am »

Don't worry, the media here isn't government controled (doesn't mean that its not complete crap though).
As for the games, its the fault of one single person, elected for reasons other than games by people who don't even care about games, so its hardly representitive of the country as a whole.
As for the net filter, I have a feeling that the government has quitely dropped that one ;)

However, i honestly wouldn't care if the government ran the media. Sure, it might not be the truth, but what we get right now from the commercial channels is such a shitty twisted version of the truth that its not worth a single bloody thing (note, i'm talking mainly about TV here, newspapers can be better). Most news is sensationalised to make headlines:
"shocking young driver crash this afternoon" "Hordes of asylum seekers taking lots of government benifits!" "interest rates rise, faimilies forced to pay up to 50AUD more a month!" "how the banks are ripping you off billions of dollars (note no time frame given here. is it weekly, yearly... per decade?)!" etc.

Its utter crap. Barely any international news either, especially political news that isn't iraq/afganistan. Luckily there's the internet.
Magma is overrated.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:25 am »

Having watched commercial news and government run news, i can say quite confidently that the government run news is substantially better,

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:05 am »

I didn't say Australia, I said the Australian government.  As an American who was alive and aware for the last administration I'd be an idiot not to differentiate between the two.

It's not the government, only one guy who's really against games, against the freely available of uncensored games within Australia for adults (he's against an R+18 classification), and he's the only guy stopping it.

Yes, if you are just talking about the country it's probably best known for Kangaroos, Funny accents, Barbecued Prawns, beer, steakhouses, and convicts.

Bolded >: [
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:58:53 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 05:58:02 am »

Having watched commercial news and government run news, i can say quite confidently that the government run news is substantially better,

If you mean you listen to NPR, and watch CSPAN and PBS, then yes, I agree with you.

I mean, really, if you want to get your political news entirely objectively, watch CSPAN. Watch every vote in the House and Senate live.
!!&!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:06:53 am »

If you mean you listen to NPR, and watch CSPAN and PBS, then yes, I agree with you.

I mean, really, if you want to get your political news entirely objectively, watch CSPAN. Watch every vote in the House and Senate live.

I'm Australian remember; our government run channel is called the ABC (Australian Broadcast Channel).

It's not the government, only one guy who's really against games, against the freely available of uncensored games within Australia for adults (he's against an R+18 classification), and he's the only guy stopping it.

Yeah, bloody Atkinson. Although if i recall didn't the guy who was spearheading the whole 'net filter' thing (i forget his name) have a change of heart and is now spearheading the move to create an R18+ classification? I don't remember.

Regardless, Atkinson seems to be slowly losing weight in parliament, i wouldn't be surprised if he's all but drowned out in a few years.

Also, as an Australian and one responsible for electing the Rudd administration (which isn't perfect i'll admit, but goddamn Rudd is an improvement on Howard) i completely agree that Howard was a disaster; the rest of Australia agrees too, since Rudd won with what we in the buisness technically call "A Landslide".

Rudd's not perfect, but at least he's doing something, and right now that something seems to be chatting up the Chinese and dismantling Telstra, two endevours i can wholeheartedly agree with.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:09:56 am by Neruz »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:25:40 am »

Yes, if you are just talking about the country it's probably best known for Kangaroos, Funny accents, Barbecued Yabbies, beer, steakhouses, and convicts.

Bolded. *Angryface.jpg*
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: [1] 2