Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem clusters in soil layers?  (Read 672 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Gem clusters in soil layers?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:08 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin. I had the idea to mod in small clusters of valuable Meteoric Iron, which could rarely be found in most soil layers. Is it possible to do this?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Gem clusters in soil layers?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:30:10 am »

The wiki says that the 'Alluvial' token is broken, but I'm certain that I've seen bits of ores and gems sticking out of dirt. This is what should put it in soils:

[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

However, given how hard it would be to find, you might not be able to tell if it worked at all.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38:52 am »

from what I understand, metal veins and the sort only appear in soil layers if there is a stone layer on the same layer.

So, basically a dolomite layer 1 z-level up can stop at the sand layer, but it can still have its snake-like malachite layer run through the sand.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:38 am »

The wiki says that the 'Alluvial' token is broken, but I'm certain that I've seen bits of ores and gems sticking out of dirt. This is what should put it in soils:

[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

However, given how hard it would be to find, you might not be able to tell if it worked at all.

Change that to [ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100] and it'll actually show up in soil layers. ALLUVIAL seemingly doesn't actually do anything at all in 40d.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:57:43 am »

from what I understand, metal veins and the sort only appear in soil layers if there is a stone layer on the same layer.

So, basically a dolomite layer 1 z-level up can stop at the sand layer, but it can still have its snake-like malachite layer run through the sand.

Yea that's usually how it happens, but there are a few gems which can be found in soil (very rarely) and certain metal deposits such as gold can be found in soil. In fact, I found a gold vein right next to a brook once. Whether this was intentional or not, it makes complete sense since gold can be panned out of certain rivers/streams and those same rivers/streams can also deposit said gold.