Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 5: End - Birth of a New Cause  (Read 41054 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 5: Day 1 - House on Haunted Hill
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2009, 06:51:53 pm »

Probably you and The evil monk.
The evil monk because he is townie but not a threat when it comes down to final 5
And you. I just feel it in my guts that even if you aren't scum then you're not the kind of player to get lynched easily

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:56 pm »

Unvote

Currently, I'm very suspicious of Dikaron. He was very forceful with pushing Glyph's lynch, and now that he is out of the line of fire has stopped scumhunting.

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 5: Day 1 - The House on Haunted Hill
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2009, 07:22:13 pm »

The evil monk because he is townie but not a threat when it comes down to final 5
And you. I just feel it in my guts that even if you aren't scum then you're not the kind of player to get lynched easily

You claim to know this. Simply because he responded favorably to your questions, or perhaps some other reason?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

What is the votecount, btw?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:49 pm »

Unvote. FoS on GlyphGryph
Glyph brings up a point I think but I'm not letting him out of my sights just yet.

Vote for day extension. I'm not sure now.

But Rooster why did you put pressure on to thevilmonk and then stop? He answered your questions but that shouldn't be enough. You're not agressive enough. Read dakarians post.

Damn g2g again. Always pressured in the morning.
Meh.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »

Even if The evil monk is scum, he didn't act scummy enough for me to do anything about it.
There are more likely scum at this point.

And yes Nirur I know what you're trying to say, but scum isn't that stupid. They never are.
Scumhunting based on someone seeming to be confident with someones alignment isn't that good, there are better scumtells.

Unvote

vote Jim

This can be interesting. What do you think of the current situation. Who will you vote for and why?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2009, 07:50:50 pm »

I'm assuming you're asking that of your Friendly Neighborhood ICs, right?

The truth is that it's largely to get people talking.  We have to do something to get people to talk, so we have a set of questions.... and asking about something game-related helps more than asking about something random, like what the person had for breakfast.

A good one in noob-games is "What color are you thinking of right now?"  The theory goes that if someone answers a calm color, then they're town; if they answer an "anxious" color (red, orange, etc.), then they're scum.

Of course, you can't use that question, now.

Then, asking about scumbuddies is important.  Depending on what kind of scum you have, they'll either answer the person that is their partner, or they'll mention a person they know to be town.  Then when you kill them and are looking for their partner, the WIFOM gets amusing.

Of course, a scumboy who is being one kind of clever will give a townie's name that he's planning on getting killed D1 or N1.

(The other kind of clever means being completely truthful, which is a perfectly valid scumplay as well).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:15 pm »

If I may but in to add the other versions of "what's the point of asking these questions" it's to get insight into their thought processes.

Or, as in The Princess Bride's WIFOM scene...Vizzini is NOT monologuing on reasons to put the poison in either glass to figure it out. He and the Man in Black/DPR know this (Says he: "I know what you're trying. It won't work.") Vizzini was stating reasons that each glass was poison- analogous to a reason person X is scum- to get a reaction to help confirm his suspicions.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »

Ok just got home. and GG... THAT WAS THE FUNNIEST SH*T I HAVE EVER READ!!! i was laughing so hard it fell of my seat.

I mention Redwarrior0 twice BECAUSE IT WAS THE SAME ANSWER TO THE SAME QUESTION, if i said it once why not again???

so far you accuse me of being scum with 2 scum buddies... may i ask if you can count? it was stated quite clearly that there are >2< scum not three

First off, a look at your history - there was an initial accusation of RNG, who you then went on to say would be your preferred scumbuddy because you knew him.

What accusation? i Random voted him, mostly becuase i see him as a threat. so the second part sound be obvious. I have played over a dozen games since i started but i have no real skill i have played with every one of the mafia experts and so of course i act like i do.

You also implied that if you hadn't asked it of him, you would have asked it of RedWarrior

If i wanted words put in my mouth i would of printed your post and ate it.

Did you know RedWarrior already as well? Have you played Mafia games with them before?

Yes and yes

Then you comment that you have played mafia before, and that you are bad at it, followed immediately by saying that being bad at mafia is something you are trying to change.

So that was self-explanatory? Thank god i was think i would have to hit you over the head with it.

This was the first sentence that really caught my eye - you didn't say being a sucky mafia was something you were going to try to change in the future, you said it was something you were trying to change right now. Maybe just a slip of the tongue, completely innocent - if taken alone. But definitely suspicious.

NEWSFLASH! THE GAME YOU ARE PLAYING IS CALLED MAFIA, ALL REFERENCE TO SUCH SHOULD NOT BE MISCONSTRUED!!!  But yeah i am actively trying to change how i play Mafia.

You mention then you wanted to be "hyper-aggresive" - I've gone over a few previous games these last two days, and it seems like Scum being "super-aggresive" is the thing to do right now. Sure, its reasonable to attack people and push them - but I was already being pressured by Halmie before you jumped on me as well, for the same reasons other people brought up. Attacking the easy target early on in the game, something other people are already doing, and doing it, in your own words, in a "hyper-aggressive" manner, a scum-tell on the rise?

Cry me a river GG i played 6 games at once and was accused of being scum in all of them at once by multiple people... it sucks but 2 people is nothing. Plus i already said that aggressiveness is a Towntell your passive aggressive word play is getting on my nerves though...

You next claim lurking is a terrible reason to lynch someone, we aren't trying to have a chat, etc. against someone who was clearly just trying to get a feel for someone who'd mostly been silent. They were looking for someone to pressure - and you didn't seem to like that. It seemed very defensive, and the only reason I could see for the comment would be if one of those semi-lurkers was your scumbuddy.

CAN YOU EVEN READ????? I ALREADY EXPLAINED THIS...

WE ARE NOT HERE TO CHAT, WE ARE HERE TO HUNT SCUM.

WHEN YOU ARE INACTIVE THEN YOU WILL BE REPLACED.

And then, you don't continue to ask questions of your own - you IMMEDIATELY claim you're going to push for a lynch! When there are still days left to go!

Well yes, i did, becuase i, unlike you, can read and i am reading what other people ask and reply and i am getting the feel from the current views of our argument to see who i start on tomorrow (game time)

You then proceed to get extremely defensive the moment I start pressuring you, after proclaiming this is something town are supposed to do.

That is false and erroneous STOP misconstruing my word if you are going to quote something do the who quote like so:

ok right up front i will say that as a mafia player i SUCK. i am trying to change that.

My favorite Strategy is to attack however looks the scummiest and keep the pressure on them until they crack.

G.G. has made several mistakes so far in this game. When all you have are what someone says and how they reply it become crucial for a townie to be hyper-aggressive and FORCE scum out of hiding, they know who's town but we don't know squat, so we must go with what we see and what we feel about a player and try to get people to see what we see.

Which you tore into pieces to try and make me look bad.

and (spoilered because the line he took from the post was in a WoT strange it was the sigle line about my RL)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yeah... defensive...

Quote from: Diakron

You are reacting JUST like i thought you would as a newbie scum, yet ANOTHER OMGUS with a false reasoning attached, so i will answer both your questions and attempt my very first WoT.

if i was scum then i would least desire YOU to be my scumbuddy, you have drawn massive attention, you have OMGUS after mutliple warning that this is a Scumtell (esp. against someone who is attacking you, during the RVS this is overlooked but i am NOT random voting you), the next most would be Redwarrior0 see my post to RNG about this.

This is where I noticed that not only are you being defensive, but you are still trying to distance yourself from RedWarrior0. You've mentioned him twice already, both times as an unnecessary aside. He seemed like a bit of a lurker, and you came out against pressuring lurkers. What exactly is your relationship with him? Because its looking officially suspicious for both of you right now.

Anyways, you then go on to say I am scum and a liar because I'm looking ahead - but isn't town supposed to be looking ahead and planning as well? Or are we just supposed to believe what you tell us?

YOU ASKED ME THE DAMN QUESTION YOU MORON!!

And do as you please if you don't like my line of thinking keep asking questions, analyze the responses and find your own scum.

One final thing - you were asked to describe likely mafia or town tactics. You then state its pointless to post "our" tactics. So why didn't you describe possible mafia tactics? Your dealing with a town of relatively new people, and mafia who are probably already tacticating - why would you not point out their possible moves to the other townies? I could understand you not wanting to mention townie tactics if you were a townie, but instead you shrugged off the question completely.

Becuase A) i already did explain a Mafia tactic, B) someone already state possible tactics (panda i believe) and C) it would be an information overload and create more WIFOM then presented in the past 4 BMs

So, care to defend yourself?

Sure, ready to start reading?
Back to Mafia with me!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »

Damn that was bigger then i thought... and i forgot to add the fact that I am actually thinking there is another scum tell on someone else... but that is in another post as well...

YAY! for reading skillz
Back to Mafia with me!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2009, 08:18:16 pm »

Unvote

Currently, I'm very suspicious of Dikaron. He was very forceful with pushing Glyph's lynch, and now that he is out of the line of fire has stopped scumhunting.

I apologize for not addressing this point as well.

I was busy again and was not able to post at work, but if you meant something else please clarify and i will be more then happy to answer.
Back to Mafia with me!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »

Even if The evil monk is scum, he didn't act scummy enough for me to do anything about it.
There are more likely scum at this point.

And yes Nirur I know what you're trying to say, but scum isn't that stupid. They never are.
Scumhunting based on someone seeming to be confident with someones alignment isn't that good, there are better scumtells.

I wasn't suggesting that Theevilmonk was your scumbuddy. I was pointing out that only the scum know for sure who town is.  If I read the first statement carefully, it looks like you're not only trying to free Theevilmonk from suspicion, but to throw me off with a compliment.

Another question, a hypothetical. One mafia member is lynched at lylo. There are now three people left, including you. Who else would you rather have with you, and why?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2009, 09:00:47 pm »

Ah, Diakron, for that one about mafia comment, I'll give that to you. I read it as mafia/scum rather than mafia/the game.

And I didn't accuse you of being "scum with two scumbuddies." I accused you of seeming to be close with two other other players, of their being tells that if someone were your scumbuddy, one of them seems likely.

I stand by my assertation that you can't hunt scum reliably amongst those that aren't talking. If you don't have real suspicions against anybody who's done plenty of talking, "chatting" strategically with those who have yet to speak seems like a perfectly sensible action to take.

One final question - if you've played so many games (over a dozen, six simultaneous) why are you playing beginners mafia? You claim its to get better, but if you've played that many games, what would a bunch of beginners have to teach you?

To the IC:
I think its time the votes start coming out and converging - I don't want a lynch with 2 or 3 votes since it would be easy easy for the scum to manipulate when things are that close. Is this spread a vote, even past an extension, normal for a day 1? I honestly don't know if I should be pushing for a lynch at this point, or what.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2009, 09:07:09 pm »

.... Your kidding me right???  all you got from that is 2 sentences...

*Facepalm*

well you see i was playing a lot of games since i played a very good game of BM but apperantly i was not as good as i thought. So i decide another dose of BM is what i needed, i am considered "IC" by the definition but honestly i want to learn how to be a decisive force as both town and scum.
Back to Mafia with me!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »

also:

You have no right to attack my presence in a game, Dakarian said it was ok and thats all you need.

and for your question: Well, DUH, that's what scum wants, the time limit is to force situations like this.

Day extension allow active posters to continue a discussion before the lynch, when we get close to the deadline again we can re-extend it if we are still active. On the other hand if we pilled on 1 person we can request a Day Shortening. No hammers though  :-\
Back to Mafia with me!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25