Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 5: End - Birth of a New Cause  (Read 41040 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 5: Day 1 - The House on Haunted Hill
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 01:02:50 am »

Whoo, it's a wall of text!

So, just to confirm the rules, we are not allowed to you if we have questions? They should just be posted in the thread?

You can PM the mod.  I believe it is generally discouraged to PM the ICs, unless you are scum, in which case you'd better be using the QuickTopic.

Because I wanted to post a question, but then I realized it was very much from the position of a townie, which is a good thing as from what I can tell I want to be known as a townie because since the mafia already know I'm a townie it doesnt do me any good to hide it unless people get suspicious of the fact that I claim that in my first post and suspect me of dissembling with newish questions to make them think I'm something I'm not by saying something that implies that I am what I am and now I've gone crossed and my brains been stuck with an infinite loop.

This is what is formally known as WIFOM.  Townies typically try not to post much WIFOM, as it screws with everyone's heads.  Scum try to generate WIFOM for precisely the same reason.

So Scum is another word for Mafia/Mediums(for this game anyways) I assume? Just the general catchall regardless of game theme?

Yes, we generally say "scum."  I tend towards portmanteaus, so people are accustomed to them around here.  "Scumbucket," "scumsir," "scumboy," etc.  "Scumbasket" was a flop for obvious reasons, and the only one that has really migrated into semi-common usage outside myself is "scumbucket."

Are we allowed to ask each other if we have powers? (Clearly people have no need to be truthful, but just wondering)

Yes, you may.  However, it's generally called role-fishing, and is discouraged because it identifies targets for the scum.

Also, uhm... accusational questions... uh...
Rooster! Be ye ghost or ghoul? If you were a ghost, who would you vote for? If you were a ghoul, who would you kill? If you were a vampire, why would you be in this house and this story?

Answer to my satisfaction or face the wrath of my vooooote (may be an empty threat).

I would suggest you add a vote to that.  Helps people find what they're looking for in your wall of text.  Don't edit your post, though.

Anyways, so as far as voting goes, I assume it is more effective for the townies to stack up their votes on one person, rather than spread them out, since spreading them out will give the scum the opportunity to tip a decision they otherwise wouldn't be able to manipulate, simply because of their low numbers. However, they can collaborate without us knowing, and thus change 2 votes at the last second from one person to another causing a potential total vote difference of 4 (a 4 on A and a 4 on B could change to a 2 on A and a 6 on B just because of scum votes shifting).

No, that's exactly incorrect.

1. This game is deadlines, so you aren't going to get any last-minute vote-tipping without noticing/being able to do something about it.

2. You have two mis-lynches.  You cannot afford to all pile on one person all the time, because the scum will be able to manipulate your trousers off and make sure you happen to hit town three days in a row.

3. Typically the town spreads and converges, provided that they're doing it right.

Hope that's helpful, doodabuddies.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.  I've been honor-bound by Dakarian not to screw with you in-thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 01:31:37 am »

To make a small clearup:  In this game...

Mediums and other living = Mafia = Scum
Spirit-types = Town

Note that the story is just there ONLY for entertainment value.  You players can simply use 'Town', 'Mafia', 'Scum' as you wish. 
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 01:51:25 am »

Yeah, I don't see myself ever doing well at these with my remarkable ability to seem guilty of, well, anything, ever, always, and usually to both sides (for games where there is more than one side simultaneously lacking absolute knowledge) simultaneously if possible.

I'll at least try to post no more "WIFOM".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:43 am »

Yeah, I don't see myself ever doing well at these with my remarkable ability to seem guilty of, well, anything, ever, always, and usually to both sides (for games where there is more than one side simultaneously lacking absolute knowledge) simultaneously if possible.

I'll at least try to post no more "WIFOM".

Hey, you can improve.  Just try hard, and if you have any questions feel free to ask one of your friendly ICs.  I love explaining things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 02:48:45 am »

If you were a vampire, why would you be in this house and this story?
There are vampires? They weren't in my pm.
Are you one GlyphGryph? But that's not the reason. In my eyes a few things make you look like scum:
The way you instantly claimed townie like that, I read through a previous game and they got lynched first day and sure enough they were mafia

You were asking roles, perhaps to lure a new player (like me) into claiming and getting killed in the night.
And you wanted a townie to sacrifice? That would just lose one of our precious lynches.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:14:59 am by Halmie »
Meh.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:56 am »

Halmie, your points are all good but DO NOT EVER EDIT YOUR POSTS.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 03:40:25 am »

Ok, I just needed to change one word. But I'll keep my mouse away from the modify button.
Sometimes I just see a sentance that needs a fullstop (My third line right now which I won't change).
Meh.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:40 am »

Hey there fisherman ghost. I'm a dead hooker.

Nah just kidding although I wish I could get something kinky. Plain spirit of slain person.

Asking for sacrifice is in bad taste in beginners mafia, because I would do it if it would make the town win, but that won't teach me anything

The only other Mafia I was playing in I was an ambusher that got quickly accused. TOTAL NEWBIE.
I panicked and got lynched. Before the lynch I asked the MOD (webadict) to mod-kill me because I wanted town to get another free lynch, sadly he refused, and if I'll be in the same situation again I bet dakarian won't allow me to pull this off, so... :(

In case anyone asks me this (and you should) my favourite scum-buddy would be inaluct. When he was the survivor alien he sacrificed his win for the sake of town winning. I adore him he's mother-f**king noble. Or maybe I like him because I'm his minister that swore eternal loyalty to the independence of VN? Hah I like him anyway.

RedWarrior0 care to share your playing experience and what you learned in previous BM?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:14 am »

You know what?
scratch that with kinky. I don't know why I wrote that.
I don't want to be another gay frog mkay?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:50 am »

Theevilmonk: What role were you hoping you would get, and why?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 09:00:47 am »

You were asking roles, perhaps to lure a new player (like me) into claiming and getting killed in the night.
And you wanted a townie to sacrifice? That would just lose one of our precious lynches.

I was actually trying to clarify rules rather than getting people to actually tell me their roles, which I don't want. This is my first game, and most of what I say do will be testing stuff and responses and asking questions - I didn't know if there was some taboo against sharing roles, or if it was just bad strategy, and so I asked. It's the reason my first post was about whether we could pm the ICs, because I know a lot of my game questions will sound dumb and suspicious, especially the way I phrase questions. But hey, at least I learned some stuff.

And most of my current round of questions to others are just to get a baseline of the ways people answer in games like this more than accrue much in actual meaning. Its still all very much a learning experience for me.

Also, as far as I know, there are no vampires. But it reminds me of a few questions about roles.

The doctor - the doctor can prevent mafia kills (if hes around). Can he conceivably just protect himself every night to be immune to night kills, and what sort of information do the mafia get if they try to kill him? Are they told xxxxx was saved during the night, or specifically that xxxxx saved them, or do things like that vary?
The roleblocker - Sort of the same as the above, except when blocking someones role, do they find out whether or not they actually blocked an action? Or does the action just not happen, and they are left to wonder whether it was because they blocked someone, or because that person just decided not to use their powers?

I'm pretty sure I understand the other two possible roles, though.

I'll answer my own question, by the way-
No I would not sacrifice myself, because a townie sacrifice seems both dumb and useless. A dead loyal townie sounds awfully useless, unless theres some special role I don't know of.

So, Halmie, what's your previous experience with mafia and mafialike games?
(I'm still not so sure spreading out votes is the way to go, but since we can change votes before the deadline I'll give it a try.)

and oh god do I need to stop making such long posts.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:10 am »

Oh my God you SUCK!!!

Called OMGUS for short. I guess it's okay day 1 but try not to do this. If you ever panic then you're doomed

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 09:48:56 am »

@Glyph

Don't feel too bad about the role issue.  This game is made for beginners to get the ropes of the place.  It's MUCH better that you learn about the odd quirks of the game here, even if it leads to everyone looking at you funny, than to stay in the dark and stumble on it in a game where the town will lynch you for ONE 'scumtell'.

As for PMing the IC, since they are outside the game, you ARE free to PM them IF they accept it, though please add me as one of the receivers.  If you are town, then you'll want to speak to the town IC if Pandarsenic doesn't mind.  If you are Mafia, you should already have access to Vector through your Mafia Chat.

As far as role matters, as others have said: asking for who is what role.. or even getting CLOSE to asking is Dangerous.  Even if you don't mean to, the person with the role may accidentally show themselves.  Once they do, the mafia will catch it and they'll be dead the following night.

As such, the town needs to be content in ignoring the power roles and letting them do their business.  When the Power Role feels they will best serve the town by stepping forward, they will do so.

ONE exception: some believe that, just before you lynch a player, you should let them claim.  I've seen arguments for and against it. 

As for the role questions themselves:

1. The doctor cannot protect themselves. 

2. The mafia is NOT told if the doctor stopped the kill.  However, since that's the only reason a kill is stopped, then seeing no kill becomes obvious for them.

3. The doctor is NOT told if they saved a life.  That does mean they are left wondering what's going on, since the mafia can decide not to kill.

4. The Roleblocker is NOT told if they blocked any action.  Again, they are left in the dark as to what happened.

5. Since the Cop receives feedback when they investigate, they receive a 'failed' message when they are blocked.  It, then, becomes obvious to them that they are being blocked.

It's good to ask that: I noticed it became a major issue last game.  I need to remember to post that on the from page.

Btw, Mod-kills are (mostly) not meant to be a way for the town to gain an advantage so NEVER ask for one or try to get one.  Losing a lynch is the BEST of your worries: causing your side to instantly lose and being banned from future games is the more common response. 

Now attempting to get yourself lynched is legal.. though there is just about no gain to it that overwhelms the loss of causing the town to mislynch.

Lastly, if you believe your posts are 'too long' be happy I'm not playing.  People cry sometimes when I get Wall of Text happy. 

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 12:43:09 pm »

nirur torirwould you beleive i wanted to be a plain townie as i have never played before?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »

Another OMGUS?
what is going on here?
I thought this isn't how you do day 1 !!!

Anyone explain please
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25