Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 5: End - Birth of a New Cause  (Read 41022 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 5: Day 1 - The House on Haunted Hill
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 12:57:01 pm »

RNG, if you where a cop who would you investigate tonight? Explain if you would please.
GlyphGryph, because he is acting very odd, drawing a lot of attention for no noticeable reason... It seems to me that he has some sort of special role that is the cause of this... Doctor? Cop? Scum? I guess we'll have to see.
And finally, a question to everyone!
Would you be willing to sacrifice yourself on the alter as the first to go to prove your Townie loyalty?
Sacrifice? I would think not. Though my life has little value, I see no reason to do such an act, as if would only further the goals of those who seek to trap us here.

Now then, a question for Diakron... If you were scum, who would your favorite scumbuddy be?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 01:41:28 pm »

Its a beginner game - clearly not the place to do things properly. ;)

I'm trying to get all my OMGUSittude out before playing a game that actually matters, myself.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 01:46:45 pm »

Does experimentation and unusual plays happen often?
I heard domewhere that Pandarsenic is able to pull the craziest stuff possible out of nowhere.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 01:58:17 pm »

*cough*Lynching a confirmed townie*cough*

Posting to watch.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 02:04:35 pm »

Its a beginner game - clearly not the place to do things properly. ;)

I'm trying to get all my OMGUSittude out before playing a game that actually matters, myself.

So you're saying this game doesn't matter?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2009, 02:54:45 pm »

Does experimentation and unusual plays happen often?
I heard domewhere that Pandarsenic is able to pull the craziest stuff possible out of nowhere.

It depends on who you're playing with.  Some people are cautious; others aren't.  I tend to try for a perfect win, which ends up less "Whoo, I'm going to construct a crazy gambit" and more "screwing around with the town structure and different people's personalities until it's falling over lynching itself."

This tends to end up with an extremely confused and extremely dead town, but I'm not sure if I'd call it novel or not.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:11 pm »

I wouldn't say my crazy stuff comes out of nowhere; my scum play is very inconsistent, as far as I can see, without a large number of immediately recognizable tells. I seed WIFOM throughout the course of the game, I'm tenacious, and I absolutely refuse to give up. I respond to sometimes-overwhelming pressure (being at lylo against two confirmed townies) with a combination of super-WIFOM-powers, subversion of their logic, and sheer tenacity.

If anything, it's more the mindset that I absolutely refuse to lose as scum that lets me pull things off. As a townie, I often have a mindset that others can take up the fight for me, which can be dangerous, though I still will lose patience with people accusing me for stupid reasons.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2009, 04:17:17 pm »

One sec. What's the votecount?
RedWarrior0 care to share your playing experience and what you learned in previous BM?
It's a fun game that I'm not great at. I didn't learn much because I died night 2, but the ICs as "coaches" rather than players helped a bit.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2009, 05:34:37 pm »

UNVOTE

Now then, a question for Diakron... If you were scum, who would your favorite scumbuddy be?

When i first posted i thought about this question, and the only person that i would honestly want as a scumbuddy would be you, RNG, (that's why i asked you the first question) i don't know anyone else, and Redwarrior0 goes through periods of inactivity that seem to spring up at the worse times.

GlyphGryph you are rolefishing, asking people to get themselves lynched, OMGUSing, and really making yourself a number 1 suspect in my book.

Will be on later so don't worry :)
Back to Mafia with me!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:59 pm »

@Pandarsenic:

Isn't lurking generally considered a scum tendency?

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »

I'll answer my own question, by the way-
No I would not sacrifice myself, because a townie sacrifice seems both dumb and useless. A dead loyal townie sounds awfully useless, unless theres some special role I don't know of.

You were the one to mention it and I just said: You want a sacrifice? Why not you?

I'm keeping my vote on after that sudden change of mind to defend oneself. (It looks scummy to my eyes.)

This is my first game aswell, I have read through another game though which may give me some advantages (I know a few scumtells to go with my common sense).

@RNG:

Yes it is becuase it is pointless for town to do it. And that's why he said it was bad town attitude.

Diakron: What will be your no. 1 strategy for this game?
I think you're town but you seem to put a reason behind that, but you could be bandwaggoning (Is that what its called?) to eliminate a townie.
Meh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 07:09:05 pm »

I think you're town but you seem to put a reason behind that, but you could be bandwaggoning (Is that what its called?) to eliminate a townie.

Bandwagoning - piling votes on a person to get them lynched, with little reasoning attached.  Popular with stupid scum and lazy town.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:57 pm »

OK. Thanks. He used the same reasoning (though it is logical) as the other two voters on him. I thought that it could (but probably not) be that it was a front to keep townies away from finding his real identity.
Meh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:47 pm »

OK. Thanks. He used the same reasoning (though it is logical) as the other two voters on him. I thought that it could (but probably not) be that it was a front to keep townies away from finding his real identity.

So, I'm not saying he is or is not scum.  Typical bandwagoning, as we use the term around here, involves jumping on top of a pile of votes and adding one more to the heap by stealing others' reasoning.  The third and fourth votes on a player are generally considered the most suspect.

Scum can also start bandwagons on a player or join one by posting a load of false reasoning.  Some scum will start bandwagons and then retract their votes (because they think they'll be lynched for killing a townie later), which is generally considered one of the worse scumtells around.

Er, in any case.  Most of the mafia jargon is only used in the most obvious senses, i.e., not when the scumplay gets the same effect as a bandwagon but isn't a blatant move.

Good thinking, in any case.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »

ok right up front i will say that as a mafia player i SUCK. i am trying to change that.

My favorite Strategy is to attack however looks the scummiest and keep the pressure on them until they crack.

G.G. has made several mistakes so far in this game. When all you have are what someone says and how they reply it become crucial for a townie to be hyper-aggressive and FORCE scum out of hiding, they know who's town but we don't know squat, so we must go with what we see and what we feel about a player and try to get people to see what we see.
Back to Mafia with me!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25