Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 5: End - Birth of a New Cause  (Read 41035 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 5: Day 1 - House on Haunted Hill
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2009, 09:19:19 pm »

To the IC:
I think its time the votes start coming out and converging - I don't want a lynch with 2 or 3 votes since it would be easy easy for the scum to manipulate when things are that close. Is this spread a vote, even past an extension, normal for a day 1? I honestly don't know if I should be pushing for a lynch at this point, or what.

1. A lynch with 3 votes is perfectly reasonable.  If the scum suddenly switch to get a different situation, then you'll know they're scum, yes?  You probably don't need to worry about it.  Scum aren't that stupid.

2. Extremely spread votes at the beginning of the game are common, and actually desirable.  You just need to spend more time talking, thinking, and pressing each other until you discover the truth of the situation.  Just make sure you aren't spending so much time chatting around that the town gets worn out and can't scumhunt anymore.

3. Do not push for a lynch on someone you think should not be lynched.  A no-lynch is better than a half-hearted mislynch.

So i decide another dose of BM is what i needed, i am considered "IC" by the definition but honestly i want to learn how to be a decisive force as both town and scum.

You will never be a decisive force if you don't learn to control your emotions more.

.... Young Padawan.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »

Yes Master, i shall work to be more like you , Master Panda, and Master Web.

Unvote. FoS on GlyphGryph
Glyph brings up a point I think but I'm not letting him out of my sights just yet.

Vote for day extension. I'm not sure now.

But Rooster why did you put pressure on to thevilmonk and then stop? He answered your questions but that shouldn't be enough. You're not agressive enough. Read dakarians post.

Damn g2g again. Always pressured in the morning.

if you still Suspect someone why remove your vote? you are now the second most likely scum in my book, you are basicaly saying "well he's suspicious but i don't want to be one of his killer." which to me says "I do not wish to win this game." or "I am Scum!!"
Back to Mafia with me!

dirtybirdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2009, 10:22:08 pm »

unvote

Wow,  I don't even know where to begin.
Umm... after reading and rereading this
thread I've come to some conclusions:

I believe that...

Nirur Torir is probably town just like
theevilmonk.  Halmie just sounds new
and is hard to read. RNG and Diakron
are pretty clever.  If I had to put
down a real vote rather than a random
vote...I'd probably go for Rooster. However, I'd also go for an extension pls?

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:28 pm »

Signed in blood, yet no reason given?
Why kill someone is nothing is proven?
Back to Mafia with me!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2009, 11:21:38 pm »

When all you have are what someone says and how they reply it become crucial for a townie to be hyper-aggressive and FORCE scum out of hiding

i already said that aggressiveness is a Towntell your passive aggressive word play is getting on my nerves though...
You seem insistent on people knowing this is a town-tell. Your posts have been very aggressive, but you're not attacking anyone other than Glyph. You say you want to find scum, but don't focus on anyone but him. Rather, I think you are using Glyph as a scapegoat to draw suspicion off of you. This is a bigger scumtell than anything I have seen from Glyph.

And do as you please if you don't like my line of thinking keep asking questions, analyze the responses and find your own scum.

Isn't having townies hunting scum a good thing? Or do you want us to let you do our thinking?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2009, 12:10:18 am »

GlyphGryph[1]: Diakron
Jim Groovester[1]: Rooster,
Rooster[2]: Nirur Torir, Dirtybirdy,
Diakron[2]: GlyphGryph, RandomNumberGenerator,

Not Voting: Jim Groovester, theevilmonk, Halmie,

Extensions heard:  Deadline extended
Deadline: Thursday, 9pm EST

Further extensions will be listened to so long as the debate continues.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:18:53 am by dakarian »
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2009, 12:17:30 am »

GlyphGryph[1]: Diakron
RedWarrior0[1]: Rooster,
Rooster[2]: Nirur Torir, Dirtybirdy,
Diakron[2]: GlyphGryph, RandomNumberGenerator,

Not Voting: RedWarrior0, theevilmonk, Halmie,

Extensions heard:  Deadline extended
Deadline: Thursday, 9pm EST

Further extensions will be listened to so long as the debate continues.

Wasn't RedWarrior0 replaced?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2009, 12:19:07 am »

You saw NOTHING!
I KNEW IT!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2009, 12:26:55 am »

do as you please RNG if i am not convincing you then i am not doing my job right. and yes i WANT people to be aggressive and go out on a limb looking at every little thing. i am looking at everything and have made a few post on other people that i see messing up. don't assume just because i am posting about one person i am not watching everything, i read everything i analyze it and i remember it. Like you trying to draw attention off of GG if he flips scum then i know that i should go after you next...
Back to Mafia with me!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:45 am »

Nirur: too early to ask that because I'd like to see how that would work with a confirmed, (even with a cop) townie. But if there are going to be two townies and me then I'm fuc*k'd

When is the day over? I'm not going to be back till next day probably so
Unvote vote GlyphGryph

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:28 am »

Thursday 9pm currently.  Extensions can be offered.

And you only have to worry about attendance once you are gone more than 24 hours,  and even then it's mostly a prod for starters.
I KNEW IT!

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:59 am »

if you still Suspect someone why remove your vote? you are now the second most likely scum in my book, you are basicaly saying "well he's suspicious but i don't want to be one of his killer." which to me says "I do not wish to win this game." or "I am Scum!!"

Answer is in Vectors post:
A no-lynch is better than a half-hearted mislynch.
I'm not sure hence I asked for a day extension to decide things. Or do you want GG elimnated from the game becuase he suspects you? You were abit explosive before.

Rooster you should never give up that suspicion so quickly. Keep on pushing. Even if you get voted for it.
And is the reason you put your vote on GG becuase you're trying to get rid of someone that's not you or your scumbuddy? You have steered pretty well clean of each other.
I'll put my vote on soon. And I'm trying to be hard to read incase I draw mafia in another game.
Meh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2009, 04:10:53 am »

And I'm trying to be hard to read incase I draw mafia in another game.

All right, folks.  This is one of those things you just don't do.  I don't care if you're town or scum; don't do it.  What I hear, right here, is someone writing off his scumtells as "trying to be hard to read so I don't die next time as scum."  I used to think this way, myself, but it's a really bad idea--especially if you happen to roll scum three times in a row, and the first time they only left you alone because you were a beginner and whined up and down the street.

You want to be easy to read, because otherwise people will kill you on principle.  Because they're scared of you, and they can't figure out what to think (Cf. Webadict vs. ToonyMan, Paranormal 11, D1).  What you want to easily read as, however, is town.  So buck up and try as hard as you can to look townie.  Be useful.

Don't be useless or scummy in the name of "next time, they won't catch me."  Trust me--they will.  It's much easier to be good scum if you know how to be good town, first.

And if anyone mentions Webadict or Pandarsenic, let me just say this: first you have to be a beginner.  Then you get to be a legend.  First steps first, and your first step is to learn how to make yourself something other than a policy-lynch.

Oh, and by the way--if you want to lynch the guy, don't do it based on what I've said right here.  Lynch him for the scumtells he displays, not because I told him to go learn how to play.  There is, in fact, a difference.  One is scummy.  The other is just stupid.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:09 am »

I'll chime in as well here to add:

When people read you, they aren't just trying to read if you are scum but also if you are town.  If you are hard to read on purpose then you are also hard to tell if you are town..which means you look MORE like scum than pro-town players do.

The ultimate goal is NOT to have a pokerface, but a 'town' face.  As town you should hunt as hard as you can and play as well as you can to win unconcerned about what tells you through.  Play like that and anyone worth their salt will see you as pro-town.

As scum?  You should then look EXACTLY AS YOU DO AS TOWN.  THAT is the goal.  Unreadable means you are trying to hide which..is actually a scumtell in itself.  Your should play town as best you can since that is as pro-town as you can get.  Then when you are scum, you should be able to mimic the look of your pro-town well enough so that people still think you are town.

Webadict's best fits this, thus he gets the "I'm scared of web, he's awesome as town but deadly as scum."  He's not unreadable.. he just always looks town, even as scum.  He became such a hard to lynch person that he earned a game dedicated to killing him off.

So stop trying to manipulate your meta and play for the 'next game'.  Instead, play your best as town or scum.  100% Null Tells scare people, but 100% TownTells make you a legend.
I KNEW IT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2009, 09:27:44 am »

Not to mention, in my little list of scummiest seeming players, you're "try to be hard to read" has earned you the second place spot on the list after Diakron. Of course, most of the other players are on here for something or other, but something about the way you post just makes me uneasy. If your trying to be hard to read - that might very well be what's had me feeling that way about you, even if I wasn't able to put it into words.

As a side note, I've slowly become more paranoid of everything everyone says as the game progresses, to the point where everyone appears on my list of "seems to be scum", to the point where DirtyBird is on it because he(she?) doesn't seem to be scum, and THAT makes me suspicious. It's been interesting to watch myself progress.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25