Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wilderlands D&D campaign to start soon  (Read 5667 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Wilderlands D&D campaign to start soon
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »

Well the rules would fit into that even with HTML formatting. But I think it would be better to just distribute the rules in a Word doc.

Question: would you guys want private character sheets (so only you and the DM know your character's stats and personality) or public sheets posted to the beginning of the campaign thread?

+ Public sheets help everyone understand who is who.

- Public sheets take time for me to update
- Everyone knows all your kinky details.

I could go with either one.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 02:31:28 pm »

Private would be cool, especially since it's competitive.

Also, I'm not sure if publicly updating what we find and stuff is a good idea.  Maybe each team's info would be in a spoiler, and you'd be on the honor system not to look at another group's stuff.

It keeps the groups from knowing too much about the others.

Also also, you mentioned a fallen civilization setting.  Are there still going to be towns and stuff?
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:08 pm »

The public map is kind of a sticking point. We need some way to tie everyone together because it is after all one big campaign. And various players will shift around from game to game. Some players may play in every session, others once a month.

Now the contents of a hex overland will be secret. For example, if there is a Ghost House in the Donut Land (I am taking an example from a Mario game here don't kill me) then the Donut Land hex would be public but the fact that there's a Ghost House there would not be updated on the public map.

As for the setting question. There will be a civilized outpost. There will be shops and opportunities to buy and sell equipment, and get rid of your loot. But it will not be a big city. The adventure is outside the fort's walls.

But if people insisted on doing a town adventure I'd be cool with it. There just isn't a huge population center.

EDIT: You will get bonus EXP if you are in a group that discovers a new hex and survives to return to town.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »

Sounds nice.

I think hidden character sheets would be better.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »

I'd like to sign up for this, if it's not too much trouble.  Sounds like a good time.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »

Rules are go. 10 pages. DM stuff isn't included (things like monsters, magic items, weather tables, hirelings, all that jazz).

Get it here

Let me know if you find any typos or if the format looks funky. It should look pretty readable.

You should be able to print it if you want.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 05:27:45 pm »

Do we need to do character traits? And the rule about ignoring it if it's between 25 and 75 doesn't make much sense with many of the traits.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 05:58:48 pm »

You should wait to roll up the character you'll use so it can be done in IRC. I'll find a dice roller script or whatever it is you use there. EDIT: You might want to try doing it yourself a couple times to practice, but it really doesn't matter. It goes quick.

The character trait thing won't actually come up in terms of game mechanics. It's there so you have a better idea of how to play your character. Ignoring 25-75 was to prevent everyone from recording 30 traits. You should only have around 15. If you don't list a trait it's assumed you're "average altruism" for example.

Pretty much, look at your character's traits and decide if that would make you act differently from how you normally act.

But honestly if you don't do the traits it's okay. It's more of a roleplaying aid than anything else.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »

What about battle maps?  Dungeons and Dragons kind of needs them, so will we just try to abstract it or use something outside of IRC?

If this is dealt with in the rules, I haven't read them yet, so ignore this.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 09:00:18 pm »

A battlemap would help. But to get that we'd have to use a virtual tabletop program and they ALL seem to have port issues. I found a web-based one called RPG Tonight but its interface needs learning.

The battlemap would be useful for figuring out how far people are away from each other for spell areas of effect and arrow ranges and such.

I'm continuing to look around for a free virtual tabletop that's actually plug and play.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 12:25:20 am »

I'm interested in joining and I think I might beable to solve the battlemap thing. Give me a few minutes to find what I'm thinking of.
edit: okay I don't know how it works but heres a spreadsheet thing on google
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsKS0S822TbqdHQyTlJNbGcxc2NrMjRZM1A1OTJFeWc&hl=en

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 01:05:57 am »

That would technically work. I'd actually rather see something with a shared drawing space ...

I'm fairly handy with Excel. And the coordinates are built right in (I move to G12, I target T32, etc). So this is, so far, the best option I've seen. It looks like you can add images, too, which might mean I can update the overland map through this and use another instance as square cells for the occasional battlemap / dungeon crawl. 

Good find.

By the way, hand hurts from all the mapping but it's coming along. Overland map minus keyed locations should be done by Friday. Might see a tentative start date of Monday the 16th of November. I want to have a lot done, though, because I just know you guys are going to do crazy things.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:01 am »

I'll probably jsut use the dwarf I made for another game since it appears that game is dead.
edit: or since I now see your changing the rules quite a bit I could make a new char.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:16:47 am by userpay »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »

I dumped my sig in favor of a % completion for the campaign. Might start before 100% but it's unlikely. So watch for that, but I won't be updating this thread unless someone has a question.

Rule issues I noticed:

* I didn't specifically mention how much you heal from resting.
* Penalties for Twilight / Night are implied in the Elf but need explicit mention under Vision
* Animal Cages missing from the equipment

Anyone else notice anything missing or typos? I'm going to put out a slightly edited rules document in a bit, but I want to update it only once. Except for new spells, which will happen when someone gets high enough level to cast Level 2 spells.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:10:28 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »

Definitely watching, might play.