Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wilderlands D&D campaign to start soon  (Read 5669 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Wilderlands D&D campaign to start soon
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:01:47 am »

Outdated plans removed. New plans later in the thread contained in the tag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:03:19 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Tentative question (D&D)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:11 am »

Or, on Gametable if I can actually make it work. That would be far better. I'll have to look into it.

Too bad I don't have access to Google Wave.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:42 am »

Those time would be great for me.
But I doubt that a lot would get done in an hour on a forum, the 'While you were typing...' messages would get on peoples nerves.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:48:05 pm »

True dat. I might end up with only one group who wants to play, anyway.

Also, I'd expect a party leader to make decisions about taking a left or a right. I'd rather not see every twitch and burble of the game devolve into a vote by whoever isn't on the toilet at the moment. But everyone would play their own character, of course.

I've got the game system ready. Stuff worked out for everything except only have spells of level 1 and 2 done. Which is cool for the first 4 levels. And the intro and game setting.

Then mapping and a few other things left to do.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:38:58 pm »

Anyone have experience with RPG Tonight? It's web-based and appears to not have the port issues that Gametable does.

Problem: I don't administer this network. I can't fiddle with things expecting to get Gametable to work eventually.

Any other ideas? Straight forum threads seem pretty unsatisfying and clumsy for D&D.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »

IRC seems to work.
At least it has in EJ's game.

You need two chatrooms though, on for the game, the other for rolls and OOC.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »

Inter ... net ... relay chat. Hmmm.

And do all participants need to synchronize steam pressure and fuel density on their computing machines? I'll look into it.

Only problem I can see is not being able to display a map in the IRC client. I'd have to update the map locally and then send the file to everyone?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:37 pm »

I might, since apparently the Dark Heresy game never panned out, and I've fixed my internet problems. 

I agree though, forum games never go well.  Nothing gets done and it takes weeks to do one quest.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »

Okay, how about a different approach.

It'll be IRC. That way there's no problems with port forwarding and router massaging.

(Router strangling, more like it)

It'll be a wilderness / ruined civilization sandbox setting. Range of climates. Not a complete joke, but D&D shouldn't be so serious :P

First level characters. Simple D&D style game system. I will either post the rules to the forum or distribute in a .txt (does anyone know the character count maximum per post on here?)

Old school gaming. Expect interesting environments and situations, zero railroading. It'll be competetive, in that when one group goes out and does something and explores parts of the map, later groups will come by and find tombs already plundered by them. There will be a shared map, which means your discoveries are public at the end of the game session.

What I need from you people:

You will schedule the games.

If you want to play, you need to gather a few other players either in PM/thread here, or in your dorm or your little brother or mom or homeless people at the library or whatever. You need to PM me with 24 hours minimum notice and the target time has to be free.

This may require haggling among you to decide where you want to go or when you'll play.

If you don't have a character or the rules I'll expect you to spend half an hour during that time looking them over. Rolling up a character will take 5 or 10 minutes each so that's not a problem. If you die a lot and you get good at it you can probably roll a new one up in 2-3 minutes. And you don't need to know how to play, it's very simple.

I'm available to run a game Mo, Tu, Th, or Fr between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM. That's the largest time span - you probably wouldn't get me the whole 4 hours unless everyone was able to play the entire time.

Can't do Wednesdays until December, or Saturday or Sunday, or later in the weekday, because honestly guys I'm not going to compromise my ability to get tail for online D&D. This may change in the future if demand is high.

If I'm scheduled for a game on one day then that day is booked. You'll know my schedule ahead because I'll stick it in my signature (sacrificing my various other references for you people) and I'll update the scheduling thread first post every time.

I want to be clear about this: you cannot be passive. You are an adventurer and you can't sit around waiting for an old man in the tavern to tell you you're the chosen one and stuff a treasure map in your pocket.

Still working on the map and various things. I'll post an update here and turn this into the scheduling thread when I post the campaign thread. Anyone who posts or PMs me asking for a personal PM when I'm ready will get one.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wilderlands D&D campaign to start soon
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:23 pm »

Do you have any problems with an inexperienced player joining?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 01:16:59 pm »

Not at all. This game is easier to learn than standard D&D.

I haven't played 4th edition of D&D, though, so I can't claim it's easier than that.

What's more important is that you have a fun time with it and sort of step into your character's shoes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »

Ok, I'm in then, GMT-7

So, um, what rules will this be using?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:19 pm »

I is in too.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »

I'm still editing. Formatted poorly in Word they're 13 pages long. I expect to get that down to 12 pages at the longest. At higher level it will be necessary to add new material (new spells mostly), but it should never rise above 20 pages.

You can save yourself half that reading if you just play a non-spellcaster.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:30:23 pm »

This actually sounds pretty cool.  I'm in.

The character limit is 40,000 per post.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3