Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 2329 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »

yeah I do notice how Hide works now, it functions especially well with rings and in soul form. I could not imagine playing the game without spells though..an all melee toon would be amazingly hard, the four bosses I took down so far were pretty easy because I could just stay away from their attacks and cast.

I will say though I am having a hell of a time in the trash dump, I think its called Barrow's Den or something. Really hard hitting enemies and strange paths, very difficult to parry and riposte the attacks because they move weird, and gang up on you. I have died more in this zone than any other for some reason heh, so far at least.

99% of the bloodstains I click on show people with shields, it is also tempting to make a Hoplite character..but, I think the next toon I make will be a leather armor & 2handed hammer/axe, Str/Dex build, with archery for ranged, but not sure how effective bows are on bosses.

What builds are you guys using?
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »

I've been playing melee/archer.  More heavy on the melee.  The only spell I really make use of is Evacuate.  Convenient.
But, I have a mage character in the works.  He isn't so great, but I havn't gotten too far with him.

Valley of Defilement you mean?  Yea, can't say I am particularly fond of its inhabitants...  they break your guard all the time with push moves and the terrain doesn't really allow dodging...

Yea, as for shields, majority of players use shields, even me.  But, considering you have taken the length to be a parry and riposte master... probably more skilled then me already. 
You can parry and riposte with the small shield, but not the big shield.... The big shield has better guard break reduction overall for better turtling, so its a trade off there. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 12:33:33 am »

nice man, I will give the shield a give go some day. Archery works on bosses well I take it? I just toyed with an heavy xbow and it did shit damage, but I must be lacking in strength or something.

yeah the valley of defilement, I would pay good money to kick the level designer in the balls, seriously..I have died like 20-30 times or so and still have not killed the 1st boss, been in its room  2x though and fell of the damn plateform and got killed. This level is like my bane, I am just used to dodging and rolling, but can not here. I even have to use a different weapon, a spear, I have found it to be better at fighting than with my daggers, because I fall off the fucking ledges every 2 mins otherwise....gaah!
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 12:41:50 am »

I really question if Demon Souls would be anywhere close to popular were it not "apperantly" cripplingly difficult.

Which to me is just sad.

I don't like Demon Souls, It really gives me new respect for Mount and Blade (and I wasn't a huge fan of that either). It is rather, to me, boring.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 01:06:58 am »

I dont know Neonivek, I am a RPG vet, all the way back to the first Zork through Pools of Radiance, on to the classics of Planscape Torment, Balders Gate, to include Adom and other Rogue-likes and modern classics like The Witcher and the like. Demon's Souls is up there with the best of the best IMO, and this is because of the way you can move the toon, and work around fights in any way you see fit, given the ample tools at your fingertips. It is not perfect by any means, but I would rank it in the top 20 games I have played in the last 20 years. And I am not sure how popular it is really..seems a bit too hardcore for most.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 01:12:13 am »

I dont know Neonivek, I am a RPG vet, all the way back to the first Zork through Pools of Radiance, on to the classics of Planscape Torment, Balders Gate, to include Adom and other Rogue-likes and modern classics like The Witcher and the like. Demon's Souls is up there with the best of the best IMO, and this is because of the way you can move the toon, and work around fights in any way you see fit, given the ample tools at your fingertips. It is not perfect by any means, but I would rank it in the top 20 games I have played in the last 20 years. And I am not sure how popular it is really..seems a bit too hardcore for most.

Yah I wouldn't call it a mainstream hit, but it's successful for such a hardcore game, and considerably critically loved - a metacritic average of 89, and about 500k sold worldwide

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 01:15:07 am »

The part of the game that made me finalise that I don't like Demon Souls would have to be the blob monsters that had shields, lances, and crossbows. Yes I know that is REALLY early in the game... but COME ON!

Alright THAT and "Find the Monumental" What was that? You didn't want me to speak to the monument? Could you have named it something else? Could you have made it clearer who you wanted me to speak to?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:39:16 am by Neonivek »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 02:50:19 am »

I haven't played this game but from what it sounds like its similar in difficulty to the monster hunter series.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:37 am »

A lot of things in this game arn't clear... a bit of exploration and some perception would easily clear up the monumental thing.

As for the blob monsters, fairly easy when you figure out a few things....

Oh yea, the 1st Valley of Defilement boss...  I've really only faced it with other players...  But, 1 v 1...  I've learned to hate its regen ability...  (Honestly, no one around there is near my Soul Level of 35-ish when I got there....)

@userpay: Yes the described like-ness drew me to it in the first place.

If you suck enough, even a simple Dredgling (first enemy encounter in Demon's Soul) or Giaprey (weakest aggro monster in Monster Hunter) will give you a sound whomping.    I've seen many a-death by dredgling... looking at location and bloodstain....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08:46 am »

Ohh I didn't think the slimes were tough (in fact they are oddly easier then the human enemies) I just thought they were very lame.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »

yeah! I smahed the 1st Valley of Defilement boss after the third time getting there, not hard after I understood how it worked. Killed my 1st player invader also, loving the game :)

Edit: There is a ton of invaders in Valley of the Shadowmen and in Stonefang 2, really a ton..can not go for 2 mins without having a geared out pvp'r trying to gank in these areas. I had an epic 30 min battle with a very well geared rogue w/shield, and I lost heh. But seriously, I have tried to go blue about 20 times or so in both these areas just to get a feel for the bosses, but never made it there due to invaders
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:02:58 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 [2]