Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 2331 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Demon's Souls
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:53:28 am »

So I broke down and ordered this title from the internets, looks brutal, rogue-like, and I have high hopes. Anyone out there playing already? I will not be getting my copy for a few days, but wanted to get some feedback as far as character class selection. In RPGs I love playing caster/mage-types, but often I do go for your classical thief/stealth characters. As a total nublet to Demon's Souls and PS3 in general, I only own GTA and played that for a few weeks, what is a good choice? I have not decided to play online yet, is it gank city? I figure I should get some game experience first before diving head-long into the abyss.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:17 am »

Everything is awesome.To be taken into account that I use the word awesome at least once for everything that doesn't suck horribly.

Oh, and I don't really like playing the game, but I can see how many could.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »

Gank city? Far from it.  At least on the earlier soul levels.  Most black phantom invasions come after soul level 45-ish.  So if you are moderate on the upgrades, should have some decent gear to prepare you for most of the fights ahead.
EDIT: And thats only if you are alive.  Most black phantom invasions are people trying it out around soul level 45-ish.  There are some out there who make new chars with pure pvp/invasion builds.  Mostly should watch out after getting to around soul level 100-ish... thats where most of the cheap pvp/invasion builds can get devastatingly effective and invasion range becomes 25 soul level difference instead of 10... 

Caster/Mage-Type: Start with a royal...

Classes don't really mean much, except how a person plays in the beginning, so you can make your character a stealthy like mage.

Thief and barbarian class, I believe are the hardest starting classes for new players.  Thief even harder because of low damage output and most new players don't know how to parry/riposte and backstab to make effective use of the dagger.  But, at least the thief starts with some sort of armor while the barbarian has none what-so-ever to begin with.

Actually, the thief armor is my preferred armor, because of weight/stamina/mobility issues wearing better armor...
You will find a lot of other players prefer the higher defense armor then they do light armor... more room for mistakes, but less ability to avoid said mistakes...

Oh.. the shield is your best friend early on...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:30:42 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:16:49 am »

Nice man thanks for the reply. I will try out online then, am excited 2 more days or so for the disc to come in the mail. I think I will roll a thief and plan on getting killed a ton until I can figure out how to use the parry/riposte ect, so that way I can be a better player eventually.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:32 pm »

Was slightly interested but when i noticed it was ps3 only i got a bunch of fanbois yelling at me for apparently being part of the Hitler Youth among other things for not buying a ps3 just for that game, after which i added the game to my "don't purchase because of horrible community" list for when an emulator comes out.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

It looks pretty cool but I'm not going to get a PS3, at least not for a very long time, and certainly not just for Demon's Souls.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:03:07 pm »

No voice chat and no customized messages make it so you don't really have to deal with the brunt of the fail community like you can find in many other places.

It is like it is, silent partners who are just here to help you and silent enemies who are just here to kill you.  (No taunting/insulting or having to listen to stupid talk...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:33 am »

Damn...this game is cool as hell, I am totally addicted. Really hard, but not at all rogue-like. By far the best action-RPG I have ever played. I went with Nobility and am pumping up Dex, magic and intel, pretty much a glass cannon. The Hide spell is not that great and I have basicly given up the stealth idea for now. Yeah, I recomend this game to anyone with a PS3 and a bunch of patience for sure. IMO the PS3 was a sound purchase for me to make, despite that I only have GTA and Demon's Souls, they should keep me busy for a year or so. Now just need to find something equally worthwile for my damn dust covered Wii...besides Chocobo's D and Boroque.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:47:05 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:55:36 am »

Demon's Souls is so fun, but it's sooOooo hard! Why does Atlus hate me? :(

Anyone have any tips for the third boss? It just sort of steam rolls over me; I don't know what to do. I used most of my healing items while taking only 25% of its health.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:08 pm »

Sweet, the Nexus has captured more Demon Slayers.

@Croquantes: The 3rd boss?  I think you need to be more specific, the boss of which archstone?  Or if you don't know, describe the boss/setting.  Put that in spoilers so the other new players can find out for themselves.

@jnecros: Oh, there are some reasons why stealth is useful.  It is subtle, yet profound... You'd notice if you take a run through the same place a couple of times with stealth stuff on and off.
Also, the hide spell is on for only a limited amount of time... if I remember correctly.  (I'm not too much of a spell person...)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:58:30 pm by Zangi »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:05 pm »

Also, gender sort of matters in this game, there are male and female only armor littered about.

Spoiler: Combat tips (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: spoilery tips spoiler (click to show/hide)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 02:55:05 pm »

So a build question for those in the know:

I am thinking 50dex, 50magic, and 50 spellpower; with my random other points that I have spent up to now I will have to be SL 118 to realise my build, currently SL29. I never use a shield, I always duel wield fight, and of course use magic attacks and random ranged attacks if magic points are low. Am I going to be sucking without boosting Vit and End past 10 each?
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »

Vit isn't necessary.  Its either get more or just leave it as is.  Vit helps in pvp survival though, as long as the enemy isn't wielding super damage weapons that can 2-3 hit you regardless.

Endurance, it can't hurt, especially when it comes to stamina.  But, if you find that you are fine with the amount of stamina you have now, then its ok to leave it alone. 

And since you are categorized as a dex guy... the only reason to get more strength is for more access to different weapons you come across...
Spoiler: Blacksmith (click to show/hide)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »

@Croquantes: The 3rd boss?  I think you need to be more specific, the boss of which archstone?  Or if you don't know, describe the boss/setting.  Put that in spoilers so the other new players can find out for themselves.

Oh, derp. I mean, the first boss of Stonefang. It just happened to be the third boss I fought. :B

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »

Ah... him... I don't know your status and equipment... so here is a generalization... of what can be done.
Pages: [1] 2