Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort!  (Read 846 times)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
My fort!
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:31:11 pm »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-7347-cavepulley

Here be's me fort. I'm getting bored with it. Suggestions for mega-projects? I need something to induce some "fun!"

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: My fort!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »

Engrave everything.

Dig long tunnels into the mountains, each one two tiles apart to maximise the surface area. Smooth. Engrave. That'll have any king come running.

While you're doing that, start digging out a massive, massive reservoir for water. Just above a large room. In fact, the room should be fit for a king...
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:45 pm »

Recreate your old school mascot. Build a microcline tower. Make a picture. Draw your face, in color. Write something. Build trees. Recreate the dwarven space program. Build a giant dragon. Use DF to write notes to yourself. Create an arena. Kill off all dwarves except for the starting seven and begin anew. Start the earthworm challenge. Go nuts!
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

Earthworm challenge? Whats that about? Besides eating soil and pooping out... soil.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:00:25 am »

From the wiki on challenges:
Live constantly tunneling. Churn up the soil as you go and visit the surface only rarely to collect the stuff you need..

* Create one long tunnel. Dig forward at one end whilst sealing off (collapsing, building walls across) the other end.
    * Workshops should be built directly behind the row of miners. When they reach the point where they would be destroyed, take them apart and rebuild back by the miners again.
    * To make it easier, you can come up to the surface now and then.
    * Try to keep the tunnel as short as possible.
    * Like this: ||||||||==========> (| is walled off end section, = is tunnel and > is the miners.
    * BONUS: Leave those pesky nobles walled in as you tunnel away from them!
    * BONUS: Leave stockpiles of armour and weapons for any future diggers to find!
    * MEGABONUS: Surprise a goblin siege by tunneling up underneath them!

It sounds pretty fun. The point is, think of some crazy thing you've always wanted to do IRL and then do it in DF. Make a statue of you fighting a dummy with a ten-foot styrofoam sword, if you want.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:31:34 am »

I made a huge checkerboard where each tile is either an upward spike or a rock trap.
Above this is recreations of chess pieces, which will be dropped at whoever dare invade.
Under the traps is a 20 z-level fall into a pit of lava made to look like Kirby.

Use your imagination. It'll come in handy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:39:49 pm »

Copying my comment from DFA...

Interesting bridge concept!  I approve.  All it needs are some archery targets jutting out from the sides.  But you've hardly explored at all underground!  Do you know if you have a magma pipe or HFS?

Just curious, what's that pink sand?  I've never seen it before.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:28 pm »

I think the pink sand was something that I engineered into the raws. O.o

Commencing large scale engraving endeavors. Goal: Everyone who has engraving to be legendary.