Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: User-Created Entities have no Adventure Mode dialogue (Now with a tileset!)  (Read 1659 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: User-Created Entities have no Adventure Mode dialogue (Now with a tileset!)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:24 pm »

Honestly I'm still not sure if a gradated font is a good idea.  On the one hand some of the tiles look REALLY good (I'm especially fond of the 8, &, infinity sign and music notes), on the other hand most of the others look at least a little splotchy and the entire thing may be hard to look at after a while (I don't know, I'd need to hear from other players that opted to use it).

<shrug> I just use the vanilla tileset these days so I guess my opinion isn't worth much, but I tend to rate them based on how cute the cave lobster symbol looks, and yours scores pretty damn high.

Additionally I'm unsure at present if whether the 'multicultural' approach is really enough to make the mod unique and interesting to the point where it has a valid place alongside things like Legendary Lands and Dig Deeper (the latter of which I still need to finish parsing through in order to make sure that I'm ripping off as little as possible). 

You can't just reject a good idea just because someone else has used it. Most modders are happy to have their work butchered wholesale as long as they're credited. I guess it'd be polite to send them a PM before you release it, but I don't think anyone would complain.

Does anyone have anything they would want to see in a mod besides the standard 'More Stuff to play with' and 'All-destroying race o' evil' that hasn't been done effectively yet?

Most definately. Right now, about half of all encounters in adventure mode are those bloody wolves, and 90% of the others are basically pointless interruptions rather than threats like bears and cougars. I've tried adding in hyenas myself, with mixed results (basically you just fight wave after wave of them as well). I guess the problem is that there aren't a lot of animals that are a threat to a fully armed fighter around in real life, but I guess you could try and find a way around that.
There isn't a whole lot of variation in the creatures, which means that they all act like larger or more numerous versions of each other. Good vanilla creatures are ones with just little tweaks that make them different to fight, like Naked Mole Rats (high attack, no pain), elves (faster, lower defense) or Nightwings (can lose all of their limbs and still put up a pretty good fight). You might have fun tweaking creatures to give them higher speeds, or surprising abilities, like bloodsucking.
The other thing that a lot of mods seem to do is add in a lot of beastmen which I truly hate. I know a lot of people like them, and they're important things to include in vanilla because they're easy to identify with, but they totally leave me cold. Same with the elementals. I personally prefer creatures like stranglers, or beak dogs, or foul blendecs because they're new and original and wierd. So if you were interested in doing something there, you could go with more common monsters from mythologies (maybe slightly less obiquitous ones, like Babylonian , Polynesian or Native American) or low fantasy with giant cave bears, and packs of feral humans or try and come up with demented off-the-wall impossible creature ideas that no-one's ever thought of before.

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: User-Created Entities have no Adventure Mode dialogue (Now with a tileset!)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »

So, basically, more interesting critters.  Most of what I've seen in Legends mode regarding animals involves some truly, truly evil bears.
On beast-men, I may actually edit a few of them out, as they create overlaps/questionable relationships with the two civs I've added (the Kitsune and the Werewolves, both of whom are essentially [INTELLIGENT][CAN_CIV] beastmen.  Though in the werewolves' case they've got statistics similar to Orcs (complete with [NOBLEED] and [DAMBLOCK:2] to simulate regeneration and [NOFEAR] as a cultural sort of thing.  They're skirting with being rip-offs of Old World of Darkness Garou)...
I've got a few things I could come up with that might be Fun, but I'd need to experiment with the critters a bit more.  I'm also no good at Adventure Mode, though I'd really like to be (at least enough so to start exploring the massive worlds that I keep generating and discarding a little more).

Also, I think the Wolves really ought to be a bit less aggressive: on the one hand they ARE apex predators, but on the other they tend to steer clear of attacking things like humans, though that may not hold true when you have one of them wandering around alone.  Certainly they wouldn't attack a herd of drunks...
Pages: 1 [2]