Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: User-Created Entities have no Adventure Mode dialogue (Now with a tileset!)  (Read 1658 times)

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

So I've been trying to continue working on my mod without the benefits of the internet (and thus the wiki) and have run into a few...  oddities.  Not knowing what you're doing is Fun!
Namely, the two races I've added give nothing but empty texts in Adventure mode.  I went in and set their SPEECH tags to some custom-made equivalents of the dwarf.txt and elf.txt files (honestly mine are somewhat lower-quality.  Apparently I need to work on my insult-writing).  Does replacing these affect anything other then the flavor text that shows up when somebody slays somebody else?  Either way, how do I get my races to say things?

Other issues:
-Races with WOOD_PREF make all of their equipment out of wood rather then metal, even when they also have METAL_PREF.  As all of their equipment is race-specific, is there a way to get them to NOT make certain things from wood?
-I've tried to make a race of Naga-type creatures (called Nagas, inventively enough); as they move about via a serpentine lower body, it made sense to give them a tail they can walk around on; however, now they keep falling over. 
-I've been trying to get Orcs to gen with names; however, putting the  CANSPEAK tag on 'em turns them into trading partners.  I tried replacing CANSPEAK with UTTERANCES, since Kobalds have the latter and not the former and are apparently given names, but now the Orcs have gone back to not having names. 
-I seem to recall that only some of a creature's proffessions can be 'renamed' via the [X_NAME] creature tokens, but some can't.  I don't have quite enough patience to verify this on my own, since I have to keep re-gening due to changes.  Does anyone know which of these can and which can't?

Opinion time!  Since the Humans and the Dwarves both need their own unique cultural 'flavor' for the sake of this mod, I'm a bit torn.   Should the Dwarves be Germanic or Celtic?  Should the Humans be one of those two, or should I go with my original idea and base them off of the Greeks/Romans?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:35:50 pm by Camkitsune »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Wood pref can be removed if you only want the civilization to like wood; wood can be in a creature's preferences without the wood pref tag (I believe that applies to all the pref tags; it's not what the creatures prefer, it's what the civ prefers).  If that isn't what you want, I don't know.

Any profession names that show up in the dwarven entry can be changed; those that don't lack the tags for such a thing.

"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

If a creature doesn't have the [CAN_SPEAK] or the [INTELLIGENT] tag then it will be unable to speak in adventure mode. Other than that there isn't really anything that would stop them from speaking entirely other than deleting all of the text files in data/speech.

For the naga race you might try reorganizing the body tags in the order of what they are attached to starting with the upper body, (i.e. head, then nose and eyes, upper arm then lower then hand, etc.).

For the custom profession renaming the rule is that if a profession ends in -man then it can be renamed. This also applies to military profession upgrades, so if you rename crossbow users to sage then elite crossbowmen will b e elite sages, but if you rename axemen then axemen would be sages but since axe lord doesn't end in man it would then upgrade to axelord instead of sagelord.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's already a [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS] in the body default that stands up just fine (used by snakemen, leechmen and other prestigious monsters) Just use that, then give it the TAIL_STANCE and whatever other body parts strike your fancy.

I had a look and I'm not sure if it's possible to prevent most objects being made from wood. Armour can be prevented from being made with shell(by removing [SCALED]), bone(by removing [BARRED]) and metal by removing [METAL] from its file but there's no such one for wood. Weapons don't have any of these, although a trap component needs to have [WOOD] to be made out of it. Maybe there are some items you can force not to be wood, but it looks like if you give them a preference for wood, you're going to be seeing a lot of ashen spears and saguaro helms.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:52:41 pm by Lancensis »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-I've been trying to get Orcs to gen with names; however, putting the  CANSPEAK tag on 'em turns them into trading partners.  I tried replacing CANSPEAK with UTTERANCES, since Kobalds have the latter and not the former and are apparently given names, but now the Orcs have gone back to not having names. 
you need to change there Ethics so as to get more wars with them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

The Nagas appear to be working fine now; still having problems with the Orcs (I may end up taking them out/replacing them with something less bland and less insanely hard to deal with), took out the wood-pref tag and a few other things that were causing irritation.

So if you replace the -man in Axeman with -dwarf, it doesn't change Axe Lord...  What happens if you change Axe?

Are there any other historical cultures people would be interested in seeing?  Already represented are the Romans, the Celtics, the Japanese, the Indians, the Aztec, and a sort of nebulous Native American amalgamation that might need a bit of refining.  Egypt? 

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile

1. I'm 90% sure that works (10% doubt is my noobiness).

2. The Mongols or Huns.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:03:23 am by Halmie »
Meh.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you need to change there Ethics so as to get more wars with them.

Alternatively, [SPHERE:WAR:18000].

You can replace any of the profession names changed in the dwarf creature entry to whatever you like, but I gather that you've already done that. What you can't do is change anything that's not listed there - that goes for pretty much anything that doesn't have "man" in it by default (so you won't be able to change the name of weapon-lords, champions, lashers, etc.).

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

The Huns would make a great replacement/retool of the Orcs, as the game is in need of at least one non-Goblin war-mongering civilization.  And they'd have to have horses...  Oh, Joe Pesci, the horror!
I was thinking something similar to the Cherokee nation for the Elves, as a Western Continental civilization is the only one with the sort of 'flavor' to it that would mesh well with them, and the Aztecs for either the Goblins or the Kobolds.
Does modeling an Evil civilization on a culture constitute a mild form of bigotry?

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile

i don't think it does :P but adding the [EVIL] tag seems to help make the goblins attack you, so adding that might help... i think, and changing the ethics and stuff...

better try it i guess :D
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

The [EVIL] tag just makes a creature able to live in Evil regions.
Incidentally, I've also made a Character set.  Is this good enough to pre-package with a Mod pack were I to release it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: User-Created Entities have no Adventure Mode dialogue (Now with a tileset!)
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:30:38 pm »

The thing which makes goblins always siege you is [BABYSNATCHER] and it's hardcoded. You have no other certain ways to make a race to combat you unless you remove [CAN_SPEAK].
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Incidentally, I've also made a Character set.  Is this good enough to pre-package with a Mod pack were I to release it?

Oooh. That's very nice indeed. I'd say go for it.

The thing which makes goblins always siege you is [BABYSNATCHER] and it's hardcoded.

Hmm. I didn't know that at all. On a related note, demons are hardcoded as goblin rulers, aren't they? Is it the [ENDER] tag that does that?

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »

Honestly I'm still not sure if a gradated font is a good idea.  On the one hand some of the tiles look REALLY good (I'm especially fond of the 8, &, infinity sign and music notes), on the other hand most of the others look at least a little splotchy and the entire thing may be hard to look at after a while (I don't know, I'd need to hear from other players that opted to use it).
Additionally I'm unsure at present if whether the 'multicultural' approach is really enough to make the mod unique and interesting to the point where it has a valid place alongside things like Legendary Lands and Dig Deeper (the latter of which I still need to finish parsing through in order to make sure that I'm ripping off as little as possible).  Does anyone have anything they would want to see in a mod besides the standard 'More Stuff to play with' and 'All-destroying race o' evil' that hasn't been done effectively yet?

As an aside, I still haven't found a workable solution to the 'no dialog'   bug I originally posted about, though the others have been fixed (Thanks everyone for the assistance)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:36:22 pm by Camkitsune »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:01 pm »

Hmm. I didn't know that at all. On a related note, demons are hardcoded as goblin rulers, aren't they? Is it the [ENDER] tag that does that?
They are not hardcoded, they are just the only creature avaliable.
It's [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] in goblin entity and [POWER] on demons.

Additionally I'm unsure at present if whether the 'multicultural' approach is really enough to make the mod unique and interesting to the point where it has a valid place alongside things like Legendary Lands and Dig Deeper
It looks like it's not too much for the community :). At least my Genesis project (former DwarfFrotress Complete) in my signature which features hundred of new creatures, more complex bodies and attacks, diverse humans (nords, nippons, theutons and nubians) and unique equipment for every race and culture haven't got a lot of love in the last time, at least I've got almost no feedback. At least someone downloads it according to the DL rating :D.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:47:18 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2