Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wild Camels have settled inside my fortress  (Read 2965 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Wild Camels have settled inside my fortress
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »

Just thought I would share this little anecdote from my fortress, which I found particularly amusing.

On several occasions have I noticed that wild camels were running around in my fortress proper.
The first time I noticed it, I sent a soldier to deal with it, but it must have moved to a different location before he arrived since when I checked up on him again he didn't have any camel kills listed.
I saw them on and off in the less well-travelled areas of my fort every now and then, but I left them alone since they didn't seem to do any harm (no death by camel yet) and it seemed pretty cool to have a "mascot" community of camels roaming around in the base, fighting the tamed animals in a turf war.

Of course, they occasionally come across my black bear or my giant eagle or even the fortress / royal guards, and get their ass handed to them.

Currently there are sadly only two wild camels left in my base (and the entire map) (a third wandered into a cage trap and I will be releasing it shortly), of which one, the female, is seriously injured and the male is hovering around her. I doubt it will survive, and since the one in the cage is a male, this means the end for the wild camel settlement / infestation here at Inkstaff. Oh well, they will be missed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Camels have settled inside my fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:20 pm »

Capture them both, release them into a breeding pen, perhaps buy other camels from elves, and let them breed by spores until the population recovers, then restore them to the wild and let them torment your animals again.

I have found camels useful for ambush detection myself.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »

I had a fort that suffered from a bug where a certain line across the middle of the map seemed to be treated like a map edge, inasmuch as animals, merchants, and invaders would sometimes spawn on it. Naturally, the line bisected my fort. Every few months there would be a sudden plague of "dwarf cancels everything and freaks out: interrupted by entire herd of wild camels magically appearing in the middle of the fort."
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »

I had a fort that suffered from a bug where a certain line across the middle of the map seemed to be treated like a map edge, inasmuch as animals, merchants, and invaders would sometimes spawn on it.

By any chance were some of those animals Perfectly Normal Beasts?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:48:14 pm »

I've noticed this same thing, but with mammoths.
It occurred shortly after I managed to catch one in a cage, and tamed it.

Then the rest of the herd decided to follow their now-tamed sister, and all they got was trunk full of axes and bolts.

It was funny at the least.
"Why are there mammoths in my hallway?"

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:29 pm »

I had a fort that suffered from a bug where a certain line across the middle of the map seemed to be treated like a map edge, inasmuch as animals, merchants, and invaders would sometimes spawn on it.

By any chance were some of those animals Perfectly Normal Beasts?

Count Dorku cancels Post: Sigging.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:29 am »

You may get lucky, she may be pregnant and give birth before she dies. If at all possible I'd recomend herding them into a pen for breeding.

I wish things like this would happen in my fort. Closest I've ever come was a giant cave lizard that snuck in and killed all but 2 of my starting dwarves..
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13:05 am »

I once commited the mistake of building a fort on the edge of the map. In a haunted terrain. :(

It seemed that all the friggin time, herds of skeletal and zombie mountain goats found their way inside, I eventually had to wall of the entire area and evacuate it. It quickly turned into an undead goat den. I left some furniture behind, which they enjoyed destroying... bastards.

That save has been lost to time, though.

The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:41:07 am »

my best megaproject was a giant dam in a badlands map with giant natural valleys that had a brook at the top.

camels were forever getting into the inside of the dam, and around all the tight corners my hunters could not crossbow them, and would get slaughtered.

once a camel has tasted blood, it becomes a terrifying force of nature. i had to dispatch my champions to deal with several camels that got inside and managed to kill a hunter who tried to bash them with a crossbow.

also, in the ages ago fort where i caught a titan and tried to use it to kill off my tame animal population, the camels killed it.

so yeah, camels. the desert version of elephants, sortof.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:24:42 am »

my best megaproject was a giant dam in a badlands map with giant natural valleys that had a brook at the top.

camels were forever getting into the inside of the dam, and around all the tight corners my hunters could not crossbow them, and would get slaughtered.

once a camel has tasted blood, it becomes a terrifying force of nature. i had to dispatch my champions to deal with several camels that got inside and managed to kill a hunter who tried to bash them with a crossbow.

also, in the ages ago fort where i caught a titan and tried to use it to kill off my tame animal population, the camels killed it.

so yeah, camels. the desert version of elephants, sortof.

This was about to scare me, since I'm Australian and we have one of the largest camel populations in the world.

Then I remembered that all I need to do is hide in a tree and chuck drop bears at them.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 07:22:06 am »

This is awesome, fill up every part of the fake map edge, except one room, build an adamatine vertical ring there, build a stargate command around it.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:52:48 am »

Now I need to test something: will tamed/untamed creatures fall pregnant while chained/caged?
To test:
  • tamed creatures while chained
  • tamed creatures while caged
  • untamed creatures while chained
  • untamed creatures while caged
Can almost certainly cross all the caged ones off - I've never seen a cage pregnancy before, and information from the wiki suggests only extremely low-level processing is done on caged creatures. The other two however I haven't tested.

If it turns out that untamed creatures give birth while chained, chain up several female camels at your designated "camel source". Design a one-way valve system leading from this area (optional).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:03 am »

Caged animals won't get pregnant but will give birth. Chained animals are just like released animals just with limited mobility (I've even seen them escape the chain in fear, and being smashed or thrown more than the maximum distance from their restraint definitely unchains them).

Untamed creatures get pregnant and give birth just like tamed ones, you just rarely see it because they don't usually stay on a map long enough to give birth. However, if you capture them and put them into a storage pen untamed they will breed normally. Martin had to do this to train Morul to legendary ambusher, it just takes a lot of planning.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:27 am »

This was about to scare me, since I'm Australian and we have one of the largest camel populations in the world.

Then I remembered that all I need to do is hide in a tree and chuck drop bears at them.
What the hell are "drop bears?"
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »

What the hell are "drop bears?"

Think koala bears, only bigger and heavier, and with big teeth and claws. They drop out of trees onto unsuspecting tourists, knocking them out, then proceed to eat them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2