Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Online Dating (and offline as well, I guess)  (Read 5020 times)

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Online Dating (and offline as well, I guess)
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:41:07 am »

So, what all with me being a socially impaired nerd, I figured I give the online darting thing a try.

Thing I've started to notice, however, is that i can't take it in any way seriously - in essence, when I try to send someone a message on one of those sites, it ends up reading like most of what I post here; rambling and a bit goofy.

So, I never get replied to.

Well, that's either because of that or I'm just that terrible to behold.  :P

Seems like IRL I'm just to shy, and online I'm just to oddball, to converse with new people.

It's just getting bothersome, I tell you.

Doesn't help any that most of my RL friends are of the opinion that "sex isn't that great and girls aren't worth the trouble", so I can't count on any social help from them.  Fine enough for them to think that, but I'd rather have the option to make up my own mind on the matter. -_-

I don' know, but I just gotta do something.  I'm starting to get stir crazy.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online Dating (and offline as well, I guess)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:51:41 am »

Just be persistent. Pretending to be someone you're not is a recipe for failure, so stay rambling and goofy. There are girls who go for that, even if they are few and far inbetween.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:44:26 am »

Get a hold of one of the mailing lists 419 scammers use and send everyone on it a letter.

Cast your net wide.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:58 am »

Offline is better- less chance of weird unexpected details cropping up.

But yeah, don't throw a big act, just be cool. Oh, and as a socially impaired nerd, if you can find girls into your particular interests, that's a bonus and an easier shot (if they're not heavily competed-for already).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:22 am »

As a happily married man, I would recommend you choose offline dating. As for how to meet people, your best bet is to get involved in things outside your usual circles. Also, be approachable and make the first move. Doesn't have to be clubs or bars. My best friend met his wife when she was working at the front counter of the local movie theater.

Actually, I met my wife while I was at University. I noticed her in the library studying the same subject as me, we started talking, I offered to proof-read her assignments, she took me out to dinner as thanks, and the rest is history.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:39 am »

If I was a girl, I'd go for someone rambling and goofy. More fun than the boring, serious ones. There's always someone who likes you for who you are, so don't bother pretending to be someone else. You'll miss that person who's looking for you, and get someone who's looking for someone who's not you.

Online dating works. I've dated some very attractive females who've I've met online. Met my current girlfriend of 2 years by flirting via sms.. turned out that she studied in the same uni and lived only a few miles from my place. I started flirting with all my offline ex's through chat/sms/IM, so I know it works.

Offline is better if you can do it. One huge advantage of online dating is that it puts aside shyness on both sides. My gf now would have been a little intimidated by me face-to-face, and I'm not very talkative offline, so I think the online factor helps a little in the vulnerable early stages.

Then again, I have a friend who swears that he'd never get another girlfriend from the Internet, because they're all so weird. But he uses Myspace to find them. And he goes for the very attractive ones, even if they're crazy, so that's a problem :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:10:16 pm »

Ah I am so glad this popped up. This links in well with my thread, no? So, now that the oppurtunity has arisen, How do you ask a girl out? :/
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 12:18:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:14:14 pm by Stany »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 12:21:45 pm »

Ah I am so glad this popped up. This links in well with my thread, no? So, now that the oppurtunity has arisen, How do you ask a girl out? :/
It depends on the girl, but I find "hey, do you want to go to dinner/the cinema/the pizza place/etc with me?" Do it after you've had a short conversation, just to gauge how interested they are.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43742.0
You haven't read my thread have you?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 12:29:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:13:57 pm by Stany »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »

Yeah, I dont drive yet. And I live in a Village so Logistics is a major problem with you plan

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 01:39:19 pm »

... You could make her dinner or just go on a walk.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:13:34 pm by Stany »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:31:56 am »

How do you ask a girl out? :/

This is one of those problems that you spend years pondering as a teenager. But the solution is simple:
Just ask her out.

It's not hard. Shy? She is too. If both of you are shy, someone has to make the move.
Afraid of rejection? The worst she can do (if you ask politely) is say no. It doesn't mean you can't try again later. It doesn't mean you're no longer friends. She won't think you're a freak just because you find her attractive.
Just don't rush things. Some girls like it slow, some want you to get straight to the point. It takes experience to figure out what's right, and the only way to get experience is to do it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:40 am »

And like the last guy said, some girls like it one way, some girls like it another. So a major hint is: Know your enemy! Erm.. Girl!

If she's somewhat alternative, plays tough girl, then she won't like you if you are *too* polite, *too* friendly, etc. You have to be a bit of a daredevil with your words, and if you happen to say something that she's genuinely offended by, make sure you don't drop your act and don't know what to say next.

If she's a shy type, take it slow, use kind words, don't say anything too offensive but don't do the opposite neither because shy types have to learn to be more open themselves,...

You could go on and on about types of character and what to do with them, but it all comes down to observing the girl and using your intuition.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4