Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: [META]The Effect of Avatars on Implied Tone and Views of Forumgoers  (Read 16946 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: [META]The Effect of Avatars on Implied Tone and Views of Forumgoers
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:58 pm »

I've changed my av a grand total of 3 times since I joined, unless you count putting the first one up as changing it, in which case I've done it 4 times.

First I had a character from Baroque, then Elmo. Then Terminator-Elmo. And then my current Astevalis that I switched to about a week ago, which is quite possibly my favorite. Elmo was nice, though. Which is why I kept 'im for so long (9 months on this forum, I think).

I like having people's avatars stay the same for a while. As long as they aren't obnoxious. If they are, I want them to change immediately.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 11:35:56 pm »

Personally, I can't remember many peoples names, if they lack an avatar. There's a couple of people, but not many.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about being associated with the Trix Rabbit. Poor, poor son of a bitch that he is.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:38 pm »

I've always been convinced that the children were saving the rabbit from a slow, painful death by not letting him have Trix.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 11:56:14 pm »

Personally, I can't remember many peoples names, if they lack an avatar. There's a couple of people, but not many.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about being associated with the Trix Rabbit. Poor, poor son of a bitch that he is.
I don't ever recall the Trix Rabbit ever having a dog in a suit for a partner, and solving crimes with him.

I guess there aren't enough adventurers out there. Even sadder, I think most people didn't know Lucasarts made games other than Star Wars and Indiana Jones (which, BTW Fate of Atlantis was a fun game).

I seem the same way, but in a worse case of it being in RL. I remember how people look, and just about every other detail... except for their friggin' name. I tend to always forget unless I knew them ages ago, are a close associate, or a family friend.

I guess you can say, if you lack a proper avatar (or aren't too easily recognizable), or I won't be able to remember your name, you're pretty much as good as a redshirt to me. Depending on the situation of course.

I've always been convinced that the children were saving the rabbit from a slow, painful death by not letting him have Trix.
I don't think so. They were having way too much fun tormenting the poor fool.

Made me almost happy when I saw that one "Got Milk?" ad that the rabbit finally got Trix in a more sensible fashion, in a more convincing outfit. Only to end with him not having any milk to finally eat the Trix. Considering the ad campaign, I wasn't too shocked about the ending.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:05:00 am by Itnetlolor »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 12:00:57 am »

I definitely identify people by avatars, not names. Whenever someone makes a major change to their avatar it throws me for a few minutes.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:16 am »

I also identify people completely by avatars, but I remember the name if I see the avatar.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 12:20:38 am »

Avatars provide a quick way to identify people. Doesn't matter to me, I use both. Too much crap has happened on this forum to let me remain weak to avatars.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:06 am »

They help me to remember, mostly because I have a terrible memory for names.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:55 am »

I always forget the 'the' in NME's name. And the peror is cut off on my crappy screen.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 01:24:46 am »

I also identify people completely by avatars, but I remember the name if I see the avatar.

Yeah, me too.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 01:41:36 am »

wel, look at my avatar and tell me it's not saying:

"You call THAT a post? We will need to handle the deffinition very generously for that one."
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 02:20:28 am »

I think it says more along the lines of "Hey, I know you. I know what you posted. You gonna try post something else?"

But yeah, I found that A lot of people identified with my william-augustus-grey avatar.
At least, more so than the current one.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 02:21:18 am »

Mine used to follow a normal Strifeish theme, but since this one was hand-drawn for me, I don't intend to change it anytime soon (and come one, it's already awesome).

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 02:24:34 am »

As I see it, in a very broad and general way, your avatar is...well...an avatar; a electronic manifestation of the physical you (which I suppose is the opposite of a traditional avatar, which was a physical manifestation of an incorporeal being/principle).  As such, I don't change my avatar, as it would be effectively changing what I look like.  The only change of avatar I'm likely to be making in the foreseeable future is if Sean ever finishes the Multiworld Madness group shot, in which case I might switch to a cut-out of my character.  Like strife said; it was hand-drawn to represent me.

To me, changing an avatar is like getting a new style of hair cut; people won't exactly recognize you at first glance, but then look harder and notice the similar features (namely your name).  Given a day or so, and the new look will become easily recognizable.  Though, if someone doesn't change their avatar for a very long period of time, and then does something completely different, it might take a few days before I really become accustomed to it.  It's like if you had a friend, who's had moderate-length beard as long as you've known him, who suddenly comes over clean-shaven. 

Of course, having a spinning avatar that's likely to cause seizures could be compared with someone who dies their hair a very odd shade of lime green.  Sure it will attract attention, but no-one wants to stare at it for an extended period of time.

However, for all that, I don't really have a bias towards people's posts due to what their avatar looks like.  Unless of course, they're imitating another person's avatar, in which case I see the original person who had it.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 07:59:18 am »

I guess you can say, if you lack a proper avatar (or aren't too easily recognizable), or I won't be able to remember your name, you're pretty much as good as a redshirt to me.

Hey! I'm not a red shir--*BLAM*
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13