Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rage Against the Vista  (Read 3806 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rage Against the Vista
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »

Eh, can't say I like it... its heightened security measures was the most annoying to deal with.

Vista is more cause of a problem then it is a benefit when hooking things up.  Backwards compatibility?  Horrible at best, considering the older machines I tend to be tasked to hook up...

And considering the people I do tech support for... its easier for them NOT to screw up and/or annoy me on XP then it is for Vista.  Cause I'd probably be getting 2-3 calls a day, asking if its ok to do this and that with the damn security pop-ups...
At least with XP, they are familiar with it.  Its simple too.  Hook stuff up, install. No need for me to hold their hands through every process.

Cheap is the name of the game... and Vista is the AI buddy who dies forever in the first encounter.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »

Naw Vista is like the AI buddy who can't even path through the first door to even get to the first encounter but who is needed to beat the game.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 08:52:13 pm »

But he doesn't appear at all due to a programming bug if you pick the wrong class because if you picked that class, you have to fly over a chasm instead of going through a crevice, and he spawns just beyond where the crevice and the chasm join up, but never appears because you didn't go through the crevice to activate the event flag.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

I heard they discontinued making XPs.

plz tell me this is false.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 01:09:17 pm »

Dick move by Microsoft.  I believe they stopped making XPs with Dell around last year, trying to promote Vista.  Though, business computers/laptops can still start with XP last I checked around then.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »

Alienware can start with XP right?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 06:18:47 pm »

Alienware can start with XP right?

A guy I know got an Alienware laptop last year and it had Vista on it. So I really don't know.

Also, Microsoft tech support is horrible. They just need a recording that says "format and reinstall."
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:43 pm »

I've used vista as my primary computer for some months now, and actually smoothed out most of the irritations... Most.

My latest problem is that vista occasionally tries to update to SP2 or 3 or wahtever, and every time it does that it ruins the system and becomes unbootable while trying to install MovieMaker.
I have to do a system restore before it will boot. It then works fine for a week or so before trying to install the update again!
GOTO 10
So there you have it. Vista is brought down by MOVIEMK.dll. Congratulation microsoft.

Also:
Unlocker is essential for vista because vista does not let you delete files while it is indexing them.

Let me repeat that.

The files are un-deletable because windows is indexing them, so that you can search them faster in the future.

YOU DON'T NEED TO INDEX FILES IF THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO BE USED AGAIN, WHICH THEY NEVER WOULD BE IF YOU WOULD JUST STOP INDEXING AND LET ME DELETE THEM!!!

*RAEG*

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:03 pm »

Thing is, this sounds exactly like the switch from expensive digital watches, to 30 dollar watches based on a single chip.

The entire dam thing became unsuable.

of course, that was an entire generation of watches, and killed off so many digital watches that analogues made a comeback.

But don't worry, in about 20 years the final version of vista will Hit, and be completely awesome(uh, I mean mostly bug-free and smooth running) like windows XP.
Pages: 1 2 [3]