Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rage Against the Vista  (Read 3809 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Rage Against the Vista
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »

After XP/Ubuntu dual-booting, I am not excited for windows 7.

Have you ever tried setting up a printer on windows? On Linux? (Hint: The Linux one is fully automated, except for selecting the printer to install, and naming it afterwards. And, unlike the downloaded windows drivers, the Linux ones have the full capacity for network scanning with the printer I had the delightful experience of telling Ubuntu to set up. It did all the bothersome work of finding and installing appropriate drivers...)
Eh?
Eh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 08:39:09 pm »

My Printer cannot update because my computer is a Vista :D

Its security would pop up and as if I would accept the update, however that interuption fails the whole process.

Ohh and I cannot forget how I have to open up any old games folders so I can save.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »

I've never had a problem with Vista, it works fine, I actually much prefer it to XP, and I wouldn't go back.

What I don't like are the Mac ads.  They don't even really talk about Mac.  They just trash talk windows, and insinuate that windows 7 is bad  -  and based on those ads, I would guess that they don't even pay attention to what their competition is doing.  They only convince me that they have their heads stuck in times that are now long past.

I am completely with you on that.
There are few things that piss me off, and Mac ads are one of those.

They don't even talk about their product, they just go "Hey PC, how are those MILLIONS OF VIRUSES?!?"
Ok, anyone who is stupid enough to have millions of viruses shouldn't be using a computer in any case. I never have any. Know why? I protect my computer decently, and don't follow every single link I see. Macs can have viruses too, just nobody bothers making many because most people don't use them.

/rage

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:01 pm »

The computer I'm using now came with vista. I used it for about a week, trying to get rid of all the unnecessary flashy shit and redundant confirmation of everything.
Then I downloaded a game and realized that vista couldn't even copy a file from one place to another without windows explorer crashing three times. After about 5 hours of trying to make explorer stop crashing I just reformatted and installed XP.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 10:20:23 pm »

My main RAEG against Vista is its excessive boot times. It takes me over 30s to power down my computer, and over 2 minutes to power it back up again.

RAEG.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:02 pm »

As soon as I can get a TB external HD to store my shit, I'm grabbing Windows 7 for cheap since they have their whole University Email Discount thing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:41 pm »

the industry I work in decided, not as a whole but individually and exactly in concert anyway, to behave as if Vista was a Boon waiting to Dongle.  Now, 3 years later, Vista is still ignored by the vasty majority of my industry, and Vista cannot even connect to or communicate with the equipment I install and program day 2 day.  Hooray for Xp
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 04:10:59 am »

If you have an .edu email address, then you can get windows 7 Professional for 30-40 bucks.
!!&!!

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 06:33:26 am »

Vista uses to much RAM.
Windows 7 apparently uses/needs the same as Vista. Saw windows 7 when I took a small scholarship at a uni and didn't find it impressive.

To me XP is still the best of the bunch. 

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 08:09:22 am »

Ram being cheap as chips, i'd rather something that actually uses more ram and does more with it, considering that having 6gb these days is hardly excessive.
Magma is overrated.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:00 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:14:57 pm by Stany »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 08:29:40 am »

Vista doesnt let you play a lot of games.

I got my computer fixed, then got a vista update, then the wireless stopped working and it randomly shutsdown when it goes to sleep.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:45 am »

I have had a Vista 64-bit machine for almost a year now and haven't had any problems with anything.

Knock on wood.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 04:11:34 pm »

I would rage against it... but  vista was so bad and so slow compared to XP it didn't manage to live 10 hours on my machine.... Not enough time to build up rage...  Windows 7... well it's on a separate partition and if I don't press a key on bootup it appears... but... it's nothing to write home about... It's how vista SHOULD have worked in the beginning..... But the start menu system that trashed cascaded menu's annoys me... and there is zero other reason other than directx 10 to be on windows 7.... maybe someday...

Basically Windows 7 = Very Fat and bloated windows XP with face lift...

Windows Vista = More annoying version of windows ME
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 03:41:55 pm »

Vista is horrible. So many stupid pop up windows, having to run everything as an administrator for it to work, its so slow... And it took me 8 hours to get Freelancer to work on it. Admittedly most of that time was installing and uninstalling it, but really...
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3