Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rage Against the Vista  (Read 3807 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Rage Against the Vista
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »

Okay, so today, I noticed that I hadn't updated my laptop in quite a while. (I'm running Vista, by the way.) So, I open Windows Update, and take a look. Wow. 56 uninstalled updates. I guess it really has been a long time.

So, I click the "Install Updates" button. After a significant lag (as to be expected, it's Vista) the window blinks once, goes dark, and asks me if I really want to run Windows Update. "Yes, you heard me." Continue.

About an hour and much bandwidth loss later, I am informed that updates are done installing, and I need to restart my computer. Fine. Restart.

Then, the shutdown screen appears. "Installing updates, please do not turn off your computer." Wait, if you're installing updates now, what were you doing for the last sixty minutes?

Ten minutes later... "Configuring updates... stage 3 of 3, 0% complete. Please do not turn off your computer." Don't tell me what to do, asshole.

Okay, so now you need to pretend to install updates, then actually install them, the configure them? The hell?

It freezes on that screen for a while.

Twenty minutes later... "Updates were not successfully configured. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer."

Wait, what? You mean to tell me that you spent the last hour and a half failing to install updates, and now you just tell me that? Mister Gates, will you kindly tell me what the FUCK is going on here?

Ten minutes later... "Welcome" *over-cheery jingle* Up yours, punk.

In an infernal rage, I open Windows Update.

What the hell is <a href="http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/tedtheviking/WinUpdateFAIL.jpg>THIS[/url]?? I count twenty-nine failed updates. Twenty-nine occurrences of Vista's epic FAIL. Twenty-nine reasons to pound every ass-mongering Vista machine into a fizzling pulp of silicon.

Do you have Vista? Do you hate it, as any good person should? Use this thread to VENT YOUR RAEG. DON'T HOLD BACK A BIT OF THAT ANGER. Then we shall embark on a righteous CRUSADE against Vista.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Rage Against the Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:07:41 pm »

My brother had Vista.  But he got tired of it and switched back to XP - same as what I have now.  Much happier with that one.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:01 pm »

ERRORS ON PARADE! *Insert drums and Tom Morello*
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:12 pm »

I'm to busy enjoying my new Windows 7 to be angry.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »

The Windows 7 adverts make me angry.

They are basically admitting people thought vista was shit.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 08:14:58 pm »

Yeah, it is confusing, but from what I see in XP, it first downloads the updates and then installs them later.

However, I would like to add my rage against vista: It was a failure, but it prevented any major XP updates from coming out.
Eh?
Eh!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:15:35 pm »

WE NEED MOAR RAEG, PEOPLE!!!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »

WE NEED MOAR RAEG, PEOPLE!!!

The VISTA Killed my brother and married my sister!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:59 pm »

I dunno. I have vista and it works fine for me.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:03 pm »

The Windows 7 adverts make me angry.

They are basically admitting people thought vista was shit.
Um.  Humility is generally a good thing.  It's more like saying "okay, we were wrong there, but now things should be fixed."  It's more honest, and I like that.

What I don't like are the Mac ads.  They don't even really talk about Mac.  They just trash talk windows, and insinuate that windows 7 is bad  -  and based on those ads, I would guess that they don't even pay attention to what their competition is doing.  They only convince me that they have their heads stuck in times that are now long past.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:01 pm »

Oh no, it's not humility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnolmuFgW7w

And, mac ads are shite.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »

I'm actually rather pleased with my Vista. It's annoying when it asks for confirmation, twice, on every update and download, but otherwise it meets and occasionally exceeds expectations.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:27:12 pm »

Okay, so today, I noticed that I hadn't updated my laptop in quite a while. (I'm running Vista, by the way.) So, I open Windows Update, and take a look. Wow. 56 uninstalled updates. I guess it really has been a long time.

And you blame Vista for the crap that followed?! Excuse me while I try to update my FutureSplash Animator program to Flash 10.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »

Oh no, it's not humility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnolmuFgW7w

And, mac ads are shite.

I'm given to understand that at least most of those people didn't actually work for windows before their commercial.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:36:52 pm »

Have had a Vista machine for almost 3 years.

Not.

A.

Hitch.
Pages: [1] 2 3