Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amputation!  (Read 6086 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Amputation!
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:12:51 pm »

No, not modding the game so that dwarves can amputate limbs.  I'm wondering what would happen if, say, a dwarf got a broken spine and then you modded dwarves to not have spines.  I'm hoping that the wounded dwarf will no longer consider itself wounded when loaded, and that once one had saved and quit, one could mod spines back into dwarves and reload to find the dwarf still uninjured.

Edit 11/2/09:  It appears that making any change to a creature's body tag will reset the wound status of all units of that creature type in the game.  Saving, quitting, changing it back, and then reloading doesn't cause the wounds to reappear.  I had only removed spines from dwarves, but instead of just the dwarves with spine injuries being healed, all of the fort's injured dwarves got up and started sparring again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:12:10 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Amputation?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »

It would be a very interesting test to run... I know adding things to a body_xxx.txt file doesn't require a regen according to the stickied post, but can you remove things?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »

You can remove them from the creature (which was what I had said earlier - not removing them from the game).  I did it with cats' throats once, so I wouldn't have to go to any extra effort to get rid of them.

Edit:  It appears that making any change to a creature's body tag will reset the wound status of all units of that creature type in the game.  Saving, quitting, changing it back, and then reloading doesn't cause the wounds to reappear.  I had only removed spines from dwarves, but instead of just the dwarves with spine injuries being healed, all of the fort's injured dwarves got up and started sparring again.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:25:53 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mr.Hobosworth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »

You can remove them from the creature (which was what I had said earlier - not removing them from the game).  I did it with cats' throats once, so I wouldn't have to go to any extra effort to get rid of them.

Edit:  It appears that making any change to a creature's body tag will reset the wound status of all units of that creature type in the game.  Saving, quitting, changing it back, and then reloading doesn't cause the wounds to reappear.  I had only removed spines from dwarves, but instead of just the dwarves with spine injuries being healed, all of the fort's injured dwarves got up and started sparring again.

By Armok, You've found the cure for DF cancer!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:15:23 pm »

Is it possible you simply removed their nervous system, thus making them effectively immune to pain? :P

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amputation!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »

If the goal is to get dwarves sparring again, why not just remove the [NERVOUS] tag?

That should work for everything except for brain injuries.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »

Is it possible you simply removed their nervous system, thus making them effectively immune to pain? :P
Their wounds were gone.  I checked.  Most were out with broken legs or something anyway, so they'd be crawling if that were the case.  And pain is also a little abstract - it's [NOPAIN] that makes a creature not have pain, not a lack of nervous system.

And yeah, the goal was to get them sparring again.  But I just happened to find something else along the way.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »

That's a little cheat I use for a year already.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 03:07:57 am »

Just tested it out right now. This is good for some serious cheating during a seige. THANK YOU!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 03:24:44 am »

Just tested it out right now. This is good for some serious cheating during a seige. THANK YOU!
Way to necro a thread from november.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 03:56:09 am »

Since when is there something wrong with that? I used the search to find it.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:05 am »

lol you shouldn't res threads ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:28 am »

Aha, aha, ahahaha. No.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:58:19 am »

sorry  :'(

waiting for bad company 2 to download but the process takes too long!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:03:24 am »

I don't get it.

"You shouldn't res threads".

"You shouldn't post new threads if there're similar, use search".

Come on guys, get a handful of brain :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2