Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quickest way to clear/collapse several levels of stone?  (Read 979 times)

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quickest way to clear/collapse several levels of stone?
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:24:26 pm »

I want to tear out a chunk of the mountain, clear it out. Suggestions on the quickest way to do this?

I figured I could dig out the lowest level, then channel all around it (on all levels), but if I recall, this will only drop the whole chunk down a Z-level, not completely collapse it / hollow it out.

Do I really need to dig out every level? If so, what do you think is the safest method? Digging it out as up/down stairs?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest way to clear/collapse several levels of stone?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:50:51 pm »

Channel out ramps.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:38 pm »

The wiki doesn't specify. I'm assuming that if you have multiple levels of floors that are already mined-out, collapsing them will result in all the intervening stone being crushed. Right?

So if I hollowed out the inside of a mountain, then supported everything with pillars and mined out around the edges, and then removed the bottom pillar, the whole thing would come craching right down and destroy most/all of the stones from the falling floors?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »

The wiki doesn't specify. I'm assuming that if you have multiple levels of floors that are already mined-out, collapsing them will result in all the intervening stone being crushed. Right?

So if I hollowed out the inside of a mountain, then supported everything with pillars and mined out around the edges, and then removed the bottom pillar, the whole thing would come craching right down and destroy most/all of the stones from the falling floors?

Stone would be destroyed. Don't know about most; I've seen between 80% and 40% at various times, depending on the scale.

I'm not sure if up/down is viable, because you have to remove the up stair and then channel the down stair that remains, if you otherwise just designate "remove stair" you're left with hanging down stairs. On the other hand, ramps just murder fps.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:56 pm »

Any amount of stone, when disconnected from solid ground, will fall as far as possible. I've dropped an entire hill down a pit that way.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:53:28 pm »

Any amount of stone, when disconnected from solid ground, will fall as far as possible. I've dropped an entire hill down a pit that way.

The problem (with regards to the OP) is that its still a hill, and that the unmined stone remains intact, just in a different place.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:04:57 pm »

The problem (with regards to the OP) is that its still a hill, and that the unmined stone remains intact, just in a different place.

Correct. I've tried dropping a large section before, and anything unmined remains intact, just lower.

I just wanted to see if anyone found a better way. Digging out ramps is pretty good, although occasionally I've brained a miner because of what was above the ramp now falls and lands on his head. It seems like digging up/down stairs might be even safer, though I have yet to test this.

But mostly, I was just hoping to avoid digging it all in one way or another.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:51:18 pm »

Sadly, achieving your hope is impossible, with current dwarftech.

However, you could try seeing what happens when you drop an atomsmasher on a falling hill.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:41 pm »

Stairs. They are the safest way to dig out large sections.

Once you dig the stairs you can channel each layer out from the top safely so long as you do one at a time.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.