Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Monastic Order  (Read 1723 times)

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Monastic Order
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:58:43 pm »

Aye! A group of us, fidel worshippers of Kogan, God of Wealth, Jewels, Metal and Crafts had to leave the Capital Mountainhold of the Mithy Torch, our beloved civilization.

All of this because of the new King, Sigun Paintedinked the Usurper, who made the Throne abandon the worship of Kadòl, God of Mountains, the traditional God of the Kings, in favor of his family`s God: Âggon the Ape of Hides, God of Muck.

We cannot abide a King who worships the God of Muck, and me and my hearty fellows we set out. Calling ourselves The Embraced Quest, we strived north to settle a new home that will embrace the Worship of Kogan.

Our donkey broke his leg when we travelled trough a valley, and we had to settle there. But after a few excavation, we noticed something of a miracle: the whole cliff was made of pure Obsidian! The strongest sone of all! That is a true Sign from Kagon, and we will create Zanorikal Kironkulet Nôm, Hearthealer the Holy Abbey of Gods!

As Kogan's domain lies in the Metals, we will only use his Gift for Arts, Crafts and for Defense. As for now, it is forbidden for any Dwarf to strike a living thing with a metal in his hand. Our military will be armed with Obsidian Swords, our crossbows will be made of Bone and Wood.

I know Kogan will smile on our Abbey. May our new home thrive, free from the influence of the Muck-licker.

(I really found a place overly abundant with Obsidian, so my dwarves will be armed with such. I checked in the files, and my civilization really has a God of Muck, and the new King (from a new line) really worships him 90%. Since I decided to give a generally "Benevolant" name of Hearthealer the Holy Abbey of Gods, it all fell in place so well, I can't wait to start playing this game... But I'd like to hear your suggestions about how to have a proper Monk Order.)

(All my dwarves military will be equipped with Swords or Crossbows. I plan to make only obsidian swords. Any good RP suggestions? Maybe creating special accomodations for the Monk-Military? Or special diet?)

No metallic armor?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Monastic Order
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »

Look at the god's spheres. Dedicate your fortress to that stuff as much as possible. Asceticism does not seem to be one of those spheres, thus stuff like skipping armor is unnecessary. Focus on producing wealth, jewels, metal, and crafts. Combining, when possible.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:31:58 pm »

Thanks. My fortress will surely be like that, but I was thinking of the Warrior-Monk order defending it. The one that will be using only Obsidian Stone as weapons.

Any suggestions about how I treat my Military?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:49:42 pm »

Well, their gear should be decorated, as much as possible. Other than that, there's no real thematic stipulation.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »

Maybe a chapel with metal walls and gem windows?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:31:29 pm »

That's for the Fortress Abbey itself. I was thinking for my dwarves...

I thought that I could train all of my soldiers in the art of Craftdwarfship first. Make them produce stonecraft, up to the point they are Legendary, and have them make their own sword. They have to make up swords until they end up with a Masterpiece that they will use for themselves.

Maybe also have them trained in Metalcrafting, but that's gonna cost me waaaaaay too much metal... On the other hand, I won't have to worry about their stats. But I might have to worry about their training.. (masterwork obsidian swords? ouch. Let them first become Martial ARtists, I say).

Yhea. Okay. Here is the Path of the Monk:

Noviciate = Traing up Wrestling with Shield & Armor untl just before becoming a Hero.
Initiate = Training non-stop Craftdwarfship until they hit Legendary. Then they make their own sword., it has to be a Masterpiece, or they try again.
Monk = Training their Swordskill
Exalted Monk = Hero of the Sword

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »

Obsidian, the strongest stone of all? Quite fragile, actually. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

I said they were religious. I never said they were good geologists...

In-game, is Obsidian a solid rock? is there measures of solidity?

Hmm.. I decided to change my ranks..

- Novice Monk
- Monk Inititate
- Brother Monk
- Father Monk

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

Aggon, the Ape of Hides, eh?

You know, Cacame Awemedinade's elvish name means "Hide Apebalded". Could it be that the king has secretly turned to worship of an other-dimensional titan?

Also, there are no measures of relative solidity, material fragility or structural strength in the current version.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:51:05 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »

I see. so if I build a cathedral of Obsidian, I'd better never update the version that adds material solidity, eh?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:53:29 pm »

Yea, but razor sharp.

Given dwarven engineering, I'm sure they can figure something out. Although constructions may still be indestructible in the next release.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:10 pm »

Obsidian is basically just glass, so a fortress made of it (dark towers) would be a catapult operator's delight in real life, since it would shatter, spall and slice people apart people.

Anyways, for your monastary, I like the idea that all migrants learn wrestling before they work as a civilian. Just make sure they don't reach Elite status before then.

A traditional monastary industry is brewing beer and wine. Perhaps instead of selling off reject quality obsidian swords, you could sell off booze for trade?

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:09:15 pm »

Depends on how efficient my booze industry is...

But I don't think my whole population will become Monks. The Monks themselves will be the military of my Abbey, with a whole population living under them. They are charged with protecting their flock. Anybody can join, but he has to prove himself.

And anybody who kills with a non-obsidian weapon is going to get executed. That is the Law.

(any other suggestions for nice laws? :-)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:13 pm »

- No personal posessions for monks, so: no assigned bedrooms / barracks, dining rooms, offices, statue gardens, zoos or bondage rooms. Monk Nobles are an exception.
In short: If a dwarf has no room assigned whatsoever, he won't start hoarding items (from his preferences). Personal wealth should not interest a monk.

- Worshippers of any other god than Kogan should only be allowed to live by the grace of Kogan. That is, survive a 5 z-level drop.

- Surviving worshippers of Kagon are only allowed to haul things, and forced to do hard labor (pump operating)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:45:51 am »

I guess I should take Dwarf Companion to change all of my dwarve's worship of Inod to Kogan...

Is there any in-game influence of the Dwarf's worship?
Pages: [1] 2