Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating what I want  (Read 1238 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Generating what I want
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »

I haven't found a tutorial on how the world gen parameters actually work. A list of "do X if you want to get Y world" would be nice.

I've tried a lot of stuff but nothing seems to make any difference. If I change a value too much I get endless rejections or a world that seems just like any other.

I want a world with tons of magma pipes/pools (ideally one of each in every middle-screen tile), lots of underground water (again, one of each in every area), and huge cliffs immediately next to normal ground. I figure it should be possible to alter the parameters to generate a world that's like this.

So any help? Suggestions of "try setting volcanism min a little higher" are no good. I've tried a lot of that and the worldgen parameters for elevation, erosion, and volcanism don't seem to do anything at all.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating what I want
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:03:56 pm »

The main problem of figuring out how the world gen works is that you need to also alter the "Minimum number of type low/mid/high XXX squares"
If you want a super high volcanism world, turn the low and mid minimum amounts to 0, and presto, the world wont get rejected, and is full of magma pipes.

It took me ages to figure that out.

EDIT: You of course also need to set the minimum volcanism to a high number of course.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:06:27 pm by tp12 »
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »

Magma presence is controlled by the min/max volcanism settings and the number of volcanoes on your map. Each volcano is a 3x3 set of mountains with a guaranteed magma pipe in the middle. Having too many volcanoes will jam up your world with mountain ranges, though, which can prevent access by civilizations.

Underground rivers and underground pools are only found in mountainous areas. You get one of each for every mountainous region.

The problem with "huge cliffs next to normal ground" is that, while we can make huge cliffs, we can't really make huge cliffs next to flat land. The game doesn't have that degree of control over elevation. The best you can hope for really is to set the mesh weights for elevation to heavily favor both low and high elevations, ignoring everything in the middle; that should create large variations in elevation. You should fiddle with the erosion and river settings as well; unfortunately I don't know much about them since I tend to aim for minimalist "mountains" (i.e. as flat as possible).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:17:46 pm »

You can get more magma features by increasing the volcanism. More specifically, by increasing "Minimum volcanism" and "Maximum volcanism" to 100, every region tile will have a magma pipe and magma pool in it. This will, unfortunately prevent sedimentary rock from showing up, which will deny you of bauxite and make flux and iron difficult to find.

If this is less-than ideal, try putting the minimum and maximum volcanism back to 0 and 100, then maximizing the volcanism x- and y- variances. This won't make magma a lot more common than the default settings, but it WILL make it much easier to find sedimentary rock next to magma.

As for getting high mountains next to flat land, Derakon is probably a bit wrong. In my experience, maximizing the elevation variances DOES tend to put a lot of high cliffs next to flat land, like this thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For best results, generate your world on a "smaller" size (or even a Pocket world if that doesn't bother you), and perhaps set the minimum elevation to 100 (which will prevent oceans from showing up, mind you).

But yeah, none of the underground features are affected by worldgen parameters (aside from magma).

EDIT: I forgot the most important bit: Turn off all rejecting parameters. "Minimum mountain peak number", "minimum edge oceans", "minimum volcano number", everything from "Minimum initial wetland square count" down to "Minimum final hills region count," and everything from "Minimum number of mid-elevation squares" down to "minimum number of high-volcanism squares" are rejecting parameters.

Once you start getting worlds with features like the ones you want, you can tweak some of these. For example, if you do that thing with the volcanism variances, you can increase the reject parameter for high-volcanism squares so you get worlds with more magma more often.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:25:18 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »

HOLY SHIT, I want that!
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »

This one* will cause world gen to chug a bit (up to 100ish rejects is not unusual):
The advantages are tons of magma and mountains (needed for cliffs and underground water). The best sites usually come from sites on volcano clusters. I used this to gen the map I'm using currently:
The mountains are 51z above the river (the lowest natural point) and the map is 86z in total. The hole is the magma pipe (about 30z of it). The map also has HFS. More features than this this is typical of a decent site on a volcano cluster using this gen recipe (I didn't want a chasm/pit for fps reasons, made finding this quite hard). This one is also a bit light on the cliffiness but finding even steeper ones isn't hard.

*Credit goes to slink for the original version of this gen, I just added more magma/volcanoes and removed the seed.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:05 pm »

Thanks for this, Kulantan.  I had tried to add more magma to it but could not get it right.  My attempt was named FIRE-M-V.   :D 

Yours works a treat.  I got 230 rejections with my mods.  I am looking it over now for some location to try out.  I have already found something that another poster wanted - mountains next to the sea, and with a magma pipe at that.  Unfortunately, one cannot embark there.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:40:51 pm »

Thanks, this gives me more to work with!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:16 pm »

Has all the volcanism nullified the sedimentary stone? Magma is great, I know, but it's empty without flux and a plentiful supply of gems, ores and bauxite.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »

Sedimentary stone and volcanism are mutually exclusive to an extent. The only way to get the two on the same embark site is to have a biome switch partway through between the igneous rock that holds magma and the sedementary rock. This is why it was recommended to, instead of maxing out volcanism, increase the volcanism variance -- that makes it more likely that you'll get volcanic rock next to sedementary rock.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels