Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: any way to get rid of 40k stones?  (Read 1629 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
any way to get rid of 40k stones?
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:48:50 am »

i've dug up an enormous cavern and i'm begining to dig a large underground city, but my df is down to it's knees with just 40 dwarves...granted i have an artificial underground river running down to a bottomless pit, and it falls some waterfalls, but i suspect the main fault is the 40 000 stones lying on the ground

is there any tool or something that allow me to quickly dispose of the debris?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:52:24 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: any way to get rid of 40k stones?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:57:07 am »

If you go into the raws and mod the melting point of the stone to 0, it should melt into globs and be cleaned up by your dwarves.  I -think-.  It's something like that.  There's another thread around dealing with the same problem.

EDIT: Gah, never mind, wrong thread.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:10:23 am »

no, right thread

i'll try, thanks

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:19:43 am »

The 'wrong thread' edit was in reference to a link I originally had in it.

Be careful, though, I'm pretty sure setting something to 0 will make all rocks boil into dwarf-killing vapor.
Also known as Zuhayr.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:29:03 am »

Try 10,000 (without the comma), that way it will boil and the dwarves will be bathed in a cool liquid. Be careful though since mechanisms made from that stone will also boil and deconstruct whatever its attached to.

Furniture and other stuff should be safe.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:45:28 am »

Remove the 40k mod and gen a new world

Oh, sorry.  You mean a number, not a type.

As far as I know only constructions made from the stone will be safe - furniture made from non-magma safe stones usually melts in contact with magma, so I don't think that it will be safe from boiling if it reaches boiling point.  Constructions on the other hand are completely immune to temperature.

Also, if you melt it instead of boiling it, the globs of stone will still show up on the stock screen, even after they vanish.  I'm not quite sure what the deal is with that, though.  It might only work like that if a dwarf doesn't carry out the clean task.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:45 am »

hum, what about doors made from that stone and such? are they safe? and bridges?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:31 am »

I'm not sure honestly, you can try and find out.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:43 pm »

i did this once, also in order to remove the ridiculous amount of stone i had clogging up the game. It didnt end well. IIRC even the constructions made of the stone I altered boiled. And the gas is freezing, so it kills any dwarf it comes into contact with. Basically, unless you prepare REALLY well youre fort is screwed.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »

Well, you could make a vault with food and booze, clear all the stones out of it, move all your dwarves into it, then close it off with, say, an ore-carrying stone (i.e. one you aren't about to mod). Then you boil off all the stones you don't want, and wait until the vaporous stones are gone before releasing your dwarves. Remember of course to reverse the mod once the stones are gone so you can do incidental mining again.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »

well, i could mod the stone to boil at the ambient temperatures, it wouldn't freze anything that way, i guess

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:30:59 pm »

I just attempted a stone-boiling, with the boiling temp set to 0. Target stone was gabbro. Was stuck for a while until I remembered to turn temperature back on. Game hung for about ~three minutes while the calculations processed (this was for about 9k loose stone only).

Lost 61 out of 76 dwarves. FPS was still borked for a while while temperature was still on; probably the game was now tracking the effects of the spreading cold. Turning it off put the FPS now at over 100, where it was in the 30s before.

Notably, constructions were not affected, while furniture became clouds of icy death. Levers made from gabbro or linked by gabbro deconstructed. The stone vapors stayed for about a minute of real time before vanishing - not sure how many frames that would be.

I'll try ambient (10000) now.

EDIT: It works much better. Nobody died. Also, FPS is much better because the temperatures are not as extreme. If you left stone at this temperature permanently, you could probably eliminate it as soon as you mined it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:53:09 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 06:39:31 pm »

great, but i'lm loose all my pretty statues and coffins, right?

i hope i'll be able to re-bury the dead

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »

I've had success at reburying Dwarven dead.  The pets don't seem to fare as well.  Perhaps the owner has to still be alive?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »

position stones underneath a drawn up bridge. hit lever, bridge annihilates stones.
Pages: [1] 2