Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Loved ADOM, now searching for something without Godlike mules  (Read 2576 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Loved ADOM, now searching for something without Godlike mules
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 02:45:24 pm »

Curse you all, now I want to play ADOM again. I've only ever won it with a heavily corrupted troll berserker.

Angellus

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 02:58:07 pm »

Curse you all, now I want to play ADOM again. I've only ever won it with a heavily corrupted troll berserker.
Corruption was great :D

Angellus

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 03:00:02 pm »

You don't want unreal world then. Carniverous squirrels that'll knock you unconscious with a bite to the kneecaps and then kill you while you're down.

Actually, that's mostly been fixed in recent versions, but it was a real danger earlier.
I have UW, and loved the game for a short while, there were just not enough options to my taste..

With that one game the overpowered part was just plain fun, like Carp with DF :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »

Corruption was great :D

Oh yeah, once my troll got the corruption breath weapon it was all over for 80% of the enemies in that game. The only part I had a lot of trouble in was the desert pyramid thing, I forget the name of the area, with the undead all over the place.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 04:10:34 pm »

Yes, ADOM does do that. The more citters of one type you kill the stronger they get. doesn't matter where. Get's "interesting" only with very common beasties where you get kill lists into the 100s, like jackals.
The idea behind the mechanic is to discourage the player from grinding levels, after he found a neat trick to dispose of critter X. But it indeed is a little off, and would require tweaking... (There is a "hacked" version of ADOM out there on the interwebs somewhere where this cirtter leveling thing has been turned off)

Is there a name or link to this version of ADOM, because that would be nice

Also yes ADOM has some strange creature leveling were later in the game a jackal can kill you after you have killed lots of them. You could try Crawl because I don't think it has something like that or even that new game Incursion it's not done yet and I haven't gotten far enough yet to see how it works with creature leveling but its fun :D
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Angellus

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 04:25:17 pm »

Yes, ADOM does do that. The more citters of one type you kill the stronger they get. doesn't matter where. Get's "interesting" only with very common beasties where you get kill lists into the 100s, like jackals.
The idea behind the mechanic is to discourage the player from grinding levels, after he found a neat trick to dispose of critter X. But it indeed is a little off, and would require tweaking... (There is a "hacked" version of ADOM out there on the interwebs somewhere where this cirtter leveling thing has been turned off)

Also yes ADOM has some strange creature leveling were later in the game a jackal can kill you after you have killed lots of them. You could try Crawl because I don't think it has something like that or even that new game Incursion it's not done yet and I haven't gotten far enough yet to see how it works with creature leveling but its fun :D
http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3
This is the latest version, I'm going back to my homework now :)
Should I return before next week, please hit me with a stick or something!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:32:31 pm »

Just because I'm so horribly addicted to it i'm gonna reccomend DoomRL. Pretty sure it's not what you are looking for but it's very fun and much faster AND less stressful than other rougelikes.

Almost beat it last time I played, got to level 23. But I got too gutsy and tried to clear the lava pits...

Didn't end well.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »

Good question!

Erm... i think it was this, and its a "inofficial patch", and only works with the windows version. Oh, and it also opens the artifacts list (Standard ADOM never generates some artifacts that are in the game)
http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/

Also since we are supposed to give recoomendations: Do what i did when i got bored with ADOM: write your own :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:47:49 pm by magellan »
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Angellus

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:46 pm »

Good question!

Erm... i think it was this, and its a "inofficial patch", and only works with the windows version. Oh, and it also opens the artifacts list (Standard ADOM never generates some artifacts that are in the game)
http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/

Also since we are supposed to give recoomendations: Do what i did when i got bored with ADOM: write your own :)
Wish I had the guts to start out :)

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »

Actually: starting out is the most fun part. When you implement things like "Maps" "Monsters" "Items" And each step is a huge step forward!

Later its still fun, but the acomplishments get a bit more ... well, subtle :)
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 07:00:12 pm »

Well IVAN does it. Enemies actually have more stats the stronger you are (unfortunately this causes some minibosses to often become unstoppable)

Uhhh There was this old game that SORT of did it. Some enemies had attributes that were based off of yours. Giants for example had a stamina equal to your strength (The game had no magic).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 07:35:57 pm »

I'm surprised how many people don't know about that ADOM problem!  Yeah, I think it wasn't an issue in earlier patches, but the latest patch is pretty necessary for the other issues it fixed.  However, encountering twenty jackals in the wilderness IS the worst thing ever, because each jackal you kill levels up each further jackal etc.  Not a big issue with uncommon monsters, but it's quite possible for a character to kill many hundred jackals in their lifetime because they are so commonly generated.  And eventually jackals become more powerful than dragons.

If the unofficial patch fixes that, then it's once again totally awesome.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 09:00:25 pm »

So you are looking for a game that doesn't discourage genocide?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 06:38:34 am »

I really hated that even killing summoned monsters levelled that monster type. Some drow priestesses and unending hordes of overpowered spiders in an unremarkable level mid-game stopped me from playing it. On the other hand I heard of certain tricks with party leader or summoner type characters that are both grinding and cheating.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 04:04:43 pm »

I'm surprised how many people don't know about that ADOM problem!  Yeah, I think it wasn't an issue in earlier patches, but the latest patch is pretty necessary for the other issues it fixed.

This must be why I hadn't heard of it, I stopped playing ADOM a while ago and I think this 'feature' was not active then.
Pages: 1 [2]