Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Remember, you're still waiting...  (Read 49487 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Over $2000
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2009, 05:15:41 pm »

Oi, Americans already speak a foreign language, it's called American English (althought it bears only passing resemblance to real English).

"Real English"? And what is that, exactly? British? Canadian? Australian? Something else? I would really like to know what would make your preferred dialect of English the only real one.

FYI, every dialect of English has changed within the past few hundred years (and the centuries before that, too). You're just being a dick if you seriously think that any one is somehow more "real" than the others.

I think it was just a joke.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2009, 05:23:54 pm »

Oi, Americans already speak a foreign language, it's called American English (althought it bears only passing resemblance to real English).

"Real English"? And what is that, exactly? British? Canadian? Australian? Something else? I would really like to know what would make your preferred dialect of English the only real one.

FYI, every dialect of English has changed within the past few hundred years (and the centuries before that, too). You're just being a dick if you seriously think that any one is somehow more "real" than the others.

I think it was just a joke.

Note to self, put more smileys in sentences to avoid being called a dick.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:51 pm »

Dammit. Sorry.

This is what happens when you're on the Internet for enough years: You end up being exposed to so many weird things people are thinking that eventually, you fail to notice when they aren't actually serious.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2009, 07:26:18 pm »

It's very humbling as an American to realize that most of the people you interact with online aren't speaking their first language. It makes me sad that knowing a foreign language here is treated as an optional luxury.

Its very flattering as a Roman to realize that most of the people you interact with in the empire aren't speaking their native language. It makes me proud that knowing Latin is treated as a sign of a civilized mind.  - Fixed
I don't want to reply to this seriously from fear that you are a troll, but I will say that your interpretation of my statement is completely wrong. Or you could be completely not serious, in which case, carry on.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2009, 11:55:02 pm »

I can afford to throw in ten bucks again. :)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Sqee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2009, 12:07:54 am »

I threw in 65 dollars, which I had because in wise foresight I pirated Borderlands.It bugged out twice on the first mission for me, leaving me disliking Gearbox even more than before and wanting to support actually capable game developers.

Also, if you are still taking requests what to buy Toady, then PLEASE don't buy Borderlands with this money!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2009, 02:26:12 am »

Also, if you are still taking requests what to buy Toady, then PLEASE don't buy Borderlands with this money!

No problem there, Toady hasn't played a new game for years

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2009, 02:46:06 am »

No problem there, Toady hasn't played a new game for years

Yes he has.  Listen to the Just Press Start uncut interview and he talks about playing Red Faction Guerrilla.  He also played Spore.  He just doesn't play that many new games, especially not PC ones.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2009, 05:03:28 am »

And Threetoe apparently likes to play the Total War series.  They have a lot of ironically different tastes in games.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2009, 10:38:44 pm »

One thing we can observe after the months are past is how much of Toady's donations come from people on this forum and how much is from people who don't frequent this forum enough to mention their donations on this thread.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:40 pm »

Probably The Queen's English.  Silly Englishmen.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:14 am »

One thing we can observe after the months are past is how much of Toady's donations come from people on this forum and how much is from people who don't frequent this forum enough to mention their donations on this thread.

Likely an undercount, though.  There's bound to be a set of people who donate and visit the forum but aren't aware of this thread or don't care to post to it.  Still, always interesting to have numbers.

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:41 pm »

I was planning to give something for a while, this thread made me cross the line (one could say it made my "bucket" overflow, in a good way if there is any).

Too bad I have to use paypal (Frenchman here...), I'd have preferred to send a letter, it's less impersonal.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »

Feel free to say how much you sent anyway, if you like.  The letter is great too, no conversion loss.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 19, 2009, 04:45:48 pm »

$25 donated a few days ago. I guess you can count it for this pledge drive's good cause, right?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23