Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Remember, you're still waiting...  (Read 49480 times)

Jasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Just Cleared October
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:00 am »

Is bucket country specific? We have buckets over here in Britain, are they called something else, elsewhere?
Yeah. USA calls 'em buckets.

And I have definitely heard that saying before.

What country might that be, pray tell?
[/quote]
Well the clue to the country should be the word "Bucket"

gehe, Iam afraid the only reason that I used the word "bucket" is because of the fact that "Bucket" is the only English word I know for that object :p

I (and most people I know) developed my english by watching movies, surfing the internet and playing videogames (English  [and german french latin ect]
classes at school where only two hours a week, which is totaly insufficient )

This improved our english but it also caused our english to be a weird combination of both british english and american english.

The saying itself is dutch (de druppel die de emmer doet overlopen)  although many countres have similar sayings.

And thus ends this lesson, back to the donations.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:45:09 am by Jasper »

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Over $2000
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2009, 11:10:08 am »

Add another $55 to the cause.  DF must live on forever!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »

In french there is "That's the drop that make the bowl overflow", and it's mainly to indicate that a simple, annoying occurance pushed the whole situation over the limit (for instance, a cop mistake that cause a major civil unrest)

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »

In the German version of the saying, it's "The droplet that makes the barrel overflow".

More dwarven, IMO.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2009, 04:36:26 pm »

Silly frenchmen with their cowardly bowls. Germans have barrels and other manly things. Grrr. Manly.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:17 pm »

Bucket is only a clue due to what countries would even bother using it in a saying.

So it limited it to non-english European countries. It also cannot include any major European Country in terms of Grand Narrative.

I guessed the general group of countries that included his own.

I know I am probably horribly mistaken about the whole bucket thing.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »

Haven't you heard of 'kicked the bucket'?

It's a pretty English way of saying 'died'.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2009, 08:11:05 pm »

Haven't you heard of 'kicked the bucket'?

It's a pretty English way of saying 'died'.

Right but I heard it before. Hense why I could rule out England, Britian, and the United Kingdom. (Joke)

Basically it is a whole cluster of educated guesses.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:18:19 pm by Neonivek »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »

Hey just donated $20 because this has to be the best game and community I've ever seen.

And if anybody is still doing drawings, I have a slightly specific request: A meeting of the dwarven LCS, with the founderdwarf addressing his newer recruits.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2009, 12:25:02 am »

Put me down for $20.

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2009, 01:45:19 am »

It's very humbling as an American to realize that most of the people you interact with online aren't speaking their first language. It makes me sad that knowing a foreign language here is treated as an optional luxury.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:24 am »

Oi, Americans already speak a foreign language, it's called American English (althought it bears only passing resemblance to real English).

I'm rarely humbled by it, but I'm often very respectful of people able to speak English better than native speakers. Since most British people can barely speak the language, it's not much of a feat :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2009, 04:28:02 pm »

Oi, Americans already speak a foreign language, it's called American English (althought it bears only passing resemblance to real English).

I'm rarely humbled by it, but I'm often very respectful of people able to speak English better than native speakers. Since most British people can barely speak the language, it's not much of a feat :D
People made fun of me after I moved for only having a slight accent and using no colloquialisms. Also I knew words like colloquialism.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:51:14 pm by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:20 pm »

"Real English"? And what is that, exactly? British? Canadian? Australian? Something else? I would really like to know what would make your preferred dialect of English the only real one.

FYI, every dialect of English has changed within the past few hundred years (and the centuries before that, too). You're just being a dick if you seriously think that any one is somehow more "real" than the others.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2009, 04:56:44 pm »

It's very humbling as an American to realize that most of the people you interact with online aren't speaking their first language. It makes me sad that knowing a foreign language here is treated as an optional luxury.

Its very flattering as a Roman to realize that most of the people you interact with in the empire aren't speaking their native language. It makes me proud that knowing Latin is treated as a sign of a civilized mind.  - Fixed
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23