Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Remember, you're still waiting...  (Read 49482 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - 1000 Bucks Already
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

In response to this thread, I went ahead and donated $50.  I really should do that more often.

THIS, is a shining exaple.

Follow.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:21 pm »

Alright, so I wanted to donate since quite a while. Today, I read the "Toady does little to no work and everyone who donates is foolish" thread, and some things in there made me pretty angry.

So I just went ahead and donated $400. Here's why:

I think Dwarf Fortress is an awesome project. I hope that Toady can continue developing it as he wants to, because I think that is what is ultimately best for the project.

A release sooner rather than later would of course be nice, but to be honest, it doesn't really bother me when the next version comes out.

(don't need any art etc.)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2009, 07:42:22 pm »

Alright, so I wanted to donate since quite a while....

God damn it dreiche, I love you and everything you stand for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2009, 07:43:57 pm »

I have free 10 bucks but cannot send them because I can't find a good way to put them on paypal without a credit card.
Oh wait, I think I am going to get one this week.

Anyway, I want to draw some stuff, how do I get requests? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

metorical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:42 pm »

Well said dreiche2!

I see Dwarf Fortress as an evolving work of art and Toady as the artist.  The value of the work isn't in how much he churns out or how often.  Obviously everyone wants to see another masterpiece (read: update) but we also know that we need to support his work so that he can do this.  I don't think of the words in the title "Can't Wait Any Longer" literally, it's just our way of showing our desire to see his work.

The great artists of the past were commonly supported by rich patrons who would fund their work, we're just re-creating this through the power of community by each donating what we can.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »

You said you didn't want any pictures, but it's 400 dollars, man! I tried to keep it low-key, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We now need to change the title of the thread to 1500 dollars already.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2009, 11:43:41 pm »

Alright, so I wanted to donate since quite a while. Today, I read the "Toady does little to no work and everyone who donates is foolish" thread, and some things in there made me pretty angry.

I think Dwarf Fortress is an awesome project. I hope that Toady can continue developing it as he wants to, because I think that is what is ultimately best for the project.

A release sooner rather than later would of course be nice, but to be honest, it doesn't really bother me when the next version comes out.

You, sir, are fucking awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:26 pm »

I think someone should do a picture of an anthropomorphic toad playing a guitar on a masterfully crafted throne, while good ol' Sssra (if I recall the name right, certainly was my favorite Master of Magic character, probably need to use his "summoning" or "research" graphic as a template) dumps a bag of gold coins into the toads guitar case. Ideally the setting should contain masterfully crafted things of sturdy (marble; not much in the way of showy gold or silver) materials.
It was the image that the donation gave me; a roadside musician with great authority and awesomeness, and a powerful wizard helping the cause. That is a really large donation, assuming there are no currency translation errors.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2009, 11:53:41 pm »

So true :)
Hell, Dwarf Fortress in it's current form are in the top of simulation and strategy games feature-wise right now!
You can't make soap out of deers in Age of Empires...

And after this next, huge update... Wow..
Toadys baby is among the finest things on the Internet...

Btw I also think you're pretty fucking awesome.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:48 am »

Methinks the art isn't so much for the people who have already donated as the people who haven't. =D

Oh, me also thinks that while everyone's getting hyped for the update (I think the last few dev_now posts officially have everyone hyped) is a great time to start trumpeting and horning about how great DF is throughout the internet.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2009, 01:09:06 am »

Well thats the thing, isn't it? Even without reaching a '1.0' version, DF will soon become pretty much one of the best games ever made. This next update + harder sieges + a bit of GUI fixing + pathfinding... that leaves us with a pretty complete game experience, even while being a fraction of what Toady still has planned. *bounce* *bounce*
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:16 am »

So I just went ahead and donated $400...

I had a feeling that thread would generate some cash, but I didn't expect it to be all from one donation.  Whoa.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - 1600 Bucks Already
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2009, 07:32:30 am »

dreiche2's generous example to us all is making me feel guilty I've not donated for over a year now, so add another $100 to the total.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2009, 07:33:48 am »

Well said dreiche2, my sentiment exactly.

DF is my kind of art.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:10 am »

Congradulations on making the most successful Donation threat pretty much EVER! (actually is it ever?)

Though it still remains to be seen how successful this thread really was. Most of the time these donation threads have a wide scope of effect making people who don't even post, or who are on other websites, to donate.

Though with just the donations in this thread alone you have enough for a slow month.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23