Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Remember, you're still waiting...  (Read 49459 times)

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Over $2000
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

I liked the positive message of this topic and donated $20 just now.

Of course, when the next version is released, more donations will follow. But that goes without saying. :)
火族

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »

Donoted the remaining 20.02 euros on my paypal account to the cause.

Look at Paypal being cheap though.
I had to enter the amouth in USD, so after donating 29.09$, paypal insisted on taking 0.01 euros from my bank account!
As 29.09$ is 20.02106031 euros.
The cheap bastards round off their numbers wrong to make 1 cent profit. Bankers and busynessmen are such lowly people  ;D

On another subject entirly, you dont need completelly different tastes in games to like both DF and the Total War series, the living proof being me.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2009, 07:30:45 pm »

...my quick MS calculator curiosity shows that Toady, if he were working a 40 hour workweek in 2008, he made somewhere around 15$ to 16$ an hour.

As of this year, MS calculator says a little over 12$ an hour if he were working a standard 40 hour workweek so far. Likely this will jump up with the impending release.

On an actually related note, I have some Top Raman I can donate.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »

On an actually related note, I have some Top Raman I can donate.

We're trying to help him here.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:47 pm »

I can donate a quiet prayer of love and forgiveness.  :)

...yeah, I'm poor. Sorry mate!

platypus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2009, 09:03:09 pm »

I was going to wait until after the release, but someone annoyed me enough to prompt me to donate $100 right away.

GO TARN! \o/

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:47 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, where the players solve problems not even implemented yet, and where the players donate to Toady and ThreeToe to vent off steam.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »

...my quick MS calculator curiosity shows that Toady, if he were working a 40 hour workweek in 2008, he made somewhere around 15$ to 16$ an hour.

As of this year, MS calculator says a little over 12$ an hour if he were working a standard 40 hour workweek so far. Likely this will jump up with the impending release.

This might be a taboo topic, but do you think Toady has to pay taxes on that $12-$15/hr? I imagine he does. And with that in mind it makes me consider upping my donation amounts...
火族

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:12 pm »

He does. He talked about taxes and paypal fees and stuff at one point. I think maybe the Status Report in January or February of this year. Somewhere around there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:16 pm »

I'm wondering, what is the minimal wage in USA ?

In france it's about 1300 € a month (raw, actually it's more like 1000 € net, which translate to around $1485). But then again, the cost of life is higher here than in the US.

And yes, I'd too like to know what are the taxes for donations, if it's not too personal. It'a peculiar business model, so it raise questions :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:08 pm »

Might depend a bit on the laws of Washington State, but basically it counts as income for him. So he'll have to pay taxes as a self-employed business based on the amount he makes.

Not sure off the top of my head what that is, but it's going to be something like 10-20% I would imagine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2009, 02:10:43 pm »

Depends on what his total for the year is.  I wonder if he's thought of incorporating...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2009, 02:12:39 pm »

That's true, if he's registered as a business he should be able to deduct a good portion of his apartment as Office Space, which can help a good bit. Plus deducting things like the cost of a new computer or whatnot. Very helpful!
Come play Mafia with us!

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »

That's true, if he's registered as a business he should be able to deduct a good portion of his apartment as Office Space, which can help a good bit. Plus deducting things like the cost of a new computer or whatnot. Very helpful!

I know less about business deductions than about personal deductions (and not much about that, either), but I wonder if Toady's overall income isn't too low for this to matter.  There's a standard deduction on income tax, and if your individual deductions don't add up to more than that, you're better off just taking the standard.  I bet even a very liberal interpretation of his costs as business expenses would fall well short of this, but I don't really know.  Also, I imagine there are restrictions on things like claiming rent on your primary residence as a business expense, since it's obviously also personal.  I bet resources on artist live/work spaces would have useful info on this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 21, 2009, 06:06:27 pm »

Might depend a bit on the laws of Washington State, but basically it counts as income for him. So he'll have to pay taxes as a self-employed business based on the amount he makes.

We have sales tax, not income tax, and therefore only federal taxes would apply.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23