Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Things that are not fun  (Read 3077 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Things that are not fun
« on: August 29, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »

Having your craftsdwarf beaten to death because he couldn't make enough crowns for the mayor's ever-increasing crown fetish. Meanwhile, the goblins invading the fortress get the attention of exactly one guard.

Dwarves in strange moods demanding ores that can't be found in a ten-screen radius of any point in the fortress.

The overwhelming urge dwarves have to clean up bodies and traps as soon as they fire. Nevermind that the enemies affected by them are still -under- them.

The overwhelming urge for the entire population of the fort to stop any job worth doing to clean the rock from that mining operation near the lava, right past the fire imps.

No I will NOT mint more coins. Use the ones you have.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that are not fun
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

This is why I still kill off most immigrants and don't use stone stockpiles anymore.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »

There should be some option that how many immigrants we allow to enter to our fortress. That would make our life much easier, since we wouldnt have to kill the unecessary immigrants.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »

Hey, why not just remove dwarves' need to eat?  It'd make the game much easier.

Personally, I think there should be major repurcussions if too many dwarves are getting killed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Garthor:
<STRONG>Hey, why not just remove dwarves' need to eat?  It'd make the game much easier.

Personally, I think there should be major repurcussions if too many dwarves are getting killed.</STRONG>

Why? That way we couldnt limit the number of dwarves really, the fortress would just grow and grow. I dont think that the fortress must always grow and expand, thats not logical. The player must have the choice that how big fortress he wants.

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »

There are so many nobles who dont really anything useful.

Why not make some noble, lets say the mayor, or maybe some higher one, be able to declare immigration limits?

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by imsabbel:
<STRONG>There are so many nobles who dont really anything useful.

Why not make some noble, lets say the mayor, or maybe some higher one, be able to declare immigration limits?</STRONG>

Oh, hot!  Limits as a reward for fulfilling the mandates they require!
 :D

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »

Asking for less immigrants and nobles is like playing Tetris and asking if it could stop dropping bricks.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 08:01:00 pm »

Except that dwarves dont die when you line them all up, unless you have Auschwitz-esque death chambers.

[ August 29, 2006: Message edited by: LurkerFromTheDeep ]

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:33:00 pm »

But really, for a lot of them they mostly stop being a problem once you get them settled in.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 08:48:00 pm »

I haven't had much trouble with immigration myself once I know what to expect, but we had the giant ass immigration thread discussion ways you might declare/curb immigration with natural repercussions.  I'm not sure I understand the noble mandate system for immigration.  Many people wouldn't view a mandate restricting immigration as a reward, but as a punishment which stifles their plans.  And having your declared goals directly translate into a noble mandate rubs up against the degree of autonomy the dwarves have.  You create building projects and set work goals, as well as designating areas for certain activities to be performed.  In the future, you'll be able to have more control over which dwarves work are assigned to which areas and workshops.  I don't have a well-formed picture yet, but perhaps within the bounds of your mandate as a kind of manager there's a means of immigration control that works.  Given the standing orders system, simply having a "refuse migrants" order doesn't seem so out of bounds.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

That Dwarf has a serious, serious, coin fetish. I'd like to drown him in coinage.

On second thought, he might enjoy that.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 09:13:00 pm »

Immigration has actually proved too slow in my most recent game, but it's the first time. I'm only getting one wave of migrants a year, and even though it's a big wave, 25-30, it's not enough to make the entire year interesting and challenging. I'm out of work by the beginning of winter, usually.

itylus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »

I don't know if this would be difficult to implement... but there could be a system whereby "new" migrants have their expectations set lower than "established" migrants, so they'll work harder, put up with worse accommodations and food and drink, without complaining or throwing tantrums... until after a certain amount of time their expectations rise because they seem themselves as being "established". It would give the player some incentive not to drown new migrants, and it would also make some kind of sense in terms of the psychology/sociology of the whole situation...

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »

I guess that makes sense, but I don't see the point. The incentive not to drown migrants is that it's free workers! It's like

Immigrants: Hi we're here to do lots of work for you and make your fort cooler
Player: DIE YOU SONS OF BITCHES!

Pages: [1] 2 3