Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower-caps refuse to grow on sand?  (Read 1039 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower-caps refuse to grow on sand?
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:42:50 am »

For some reason, when I clear out a level of sand underground and discover an underground river, no plants will spontaneously grow on it. Do non-cultivated plants have a range of temperatures in which they will grow, or am I missing something else?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower-caps refuse to grow on sand?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:45:27 am »

They will grow on sand, it just takes a very long time. Although some places get them, some don't. Maybe the spores can only travel so far, but muddying greatly accellerates it. And maybe increases spore range?

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:44 am »

Even if you are trying to grow on soil there must be soil on the layer below, though it doesn't seem it needs to be directly below, just within a few tiles. For the most part it would be best just to muddy a large section of cavern.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:05:17 am »

Even if you are trying to grow on soil there must be soil on the layer below

Bullshit.

Sorry, but this controversy has been gone over before too many times. Some players seem to require a level of soil, others (like me) just don't. 

It's unclear what the diff is, what the differential factor is between "need" and "not need", but it's not an absolute dealbreaker - altho' it seems it can be, depending.

Meanwhile, it seems that "sometimes" TC's don't grow if there's a rock layer beneath them.  But not always, not by a long shot.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:10:31 am by Albedo »

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »

I have never had a tower cap grow on sand... unless it was within 3 tiles of a muddy tile...

If it IS within 3 tiles of a muddy tile, I think I have had tower caps grow on bare rock... they are even green when this happens... Kinda cool.

if you want tower caps... Muddy your tiles, and prepare to designate mass swaths of dorfs to plant gathering as plants will block the saplings... Oh and if your kinda anal and really need wood bad, you can also put travel restrictions on all the tower cap saplings, because being walked on kills them...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:20:46 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:44:52 pm »

Tower-caps will only grow on dry underground soil if there is an unexcavated soil wall nearby underneath them (seemingly in a 2-tile radius, just like murky pools and rivers for willow trees on the surface) or if there's a muddy floor tile nearby on the same Z-level (seemingly also within a 2-tile radius). Add mud and they'll grow anywhere, even on underground constructed floors with nothing but empty space underneath them.

Also, I've observed that young tower-caps will periodically sprout on underground muddy surfaces that already have shrubs on them, and if said shrub is designated for gathering, it results in "Miner cancels Dig: Inappropriate dig square" when the game tries to figure out what to do with a "designated" sapling.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:47:05 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

The difference between TC's growing on irrigated soil and non- is huge.  Maybe a factor of 10, maybe 20 - huge.  Irrigate most of a large area, leave the rest dry, see the diff for yourself.

Don't know if that includes sand, but I'd guess so.  Doesn't mean my guess is correct.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »

Also, I've observed that young tower-caps will periodically sprout on underground muddy surfaces that already have shrubs on them, and if said shrub is designated for gathering, it results in "Miner cancels Dig: Inappropriate dig square" when the game tries to figure out what to do with a "designated" sapling.

That explains why I get that stuff when I designate some TCs for cutting or the gather designation.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:53:53 pm »

I've certainly observed that I don't get surface trees in areas where I've dug out the layer immediately beneath. Apparently tower-caps don't have this problem though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »

I have grown towercaps on sand, in the middle of a large sand room. No mud below, no mud in the room, large distance from walls.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »

It seems that the bros. Adams modeled mushroom growth on real mushrooms - finicky and unfathomable.  :-\

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:09 pm »

I also had a similar large sand area (although it was huge as it was a storage area) which was mined out before I revealed the cave river (I did enlarge it later) and nothing even sprouted there except for some grass where murky pools used to be. It was a good distance from the UG river, but then again, I've had TCs pop up on the other side of the map from the UG river or pool, so distance may not be a factor.

Sometimes they will sprout on un-muddied sand, sometimes not, but if you 100% want them to grow, muddy it and make sure that its marked subterranean.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:24 pm »

underground water(even through a floor of soil) will help as well.