Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I make a gem window?  (Read 4153 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
How do I make a gem window?
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:04 pm »

The wiki says I can make them at a glass furnace. I am not being given that option.

Am I missing something?

Is it in the build menu? If so how does the furnace get involved?

This isn't working for me.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: How do I make a gem window?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:34 pm »

You need to have 3 gems of any type, and then hit... b>y or Y I think, that'll take care of it.
Were you maybe looking at Clear Glass or Crystal Glass on the wiki?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:12:50 am »

Glass windows can be made at a glass furnace. Gem windows are constructed in-place.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:02:59 am »

You can also make gem windows *from* glass by making three items of raw glass, having a gem cutter cut them, and then (b)->(Y).

I haven't yet tested if this is more valuable than a normal glass window, but I imagine that if your gem cutter is of equal skill to your glassmaker, it would be 3x as valuable.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:43:30 am »

You can also make gem windows *from* glass by making three items of raw glass, having a gem cutter cut them, and then (b)->(Y).

I haven't yet tested if this is more valuable than a normal glass window, but I imagine that if your gem cutter is of equal skill to your glassmaker, it would be 3x as valuable.

Cut gems have no quality modifiers, so your gem cutters skill is irrelevant.  In fact, you may prefer a low-skill gem cutter so he doesn't make +large clear glass gem+ or something similarly stupid.

I don't remember if glass windows have quality modifiers, but i imagine they do.  So you're looking at 3x clear glass gem base value (x whatever the gem window modifier is, if there is one) vs. glass window base value x quality modifier.  I'd have to go look up specific values and do some testing to get an actual answer on this one...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:40:15 am »

Thank you very much.

I was not given the option in the build menu at first.

This could either be due to:

a.) My gems being forbidden
b.) A bug (I have also gotten a mandate make 3/3 item in room, so a bug is possible).

I appreciate it.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »

I have also gotten a mandate make 3/3 item in room, so a bug is possible

If you actually got a mandate for "3 item in room", then there's definitely something very wrong with your fort.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:56:06 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:56 am »

I don't remember if glass windows have quality modifiers, but i imagine they do.  So you're looking at 3x clear glass gem base value (x whatever the gem window modifier is, if there is one) vs. glass window base value x quality modifier.  I'd have to go look up specific values and do some testing to get an actual answer on this one...

Done.

Clear glass gems are worth 25 dwarfbucks each.  So, minimum value for a clear glass gem window is 75 dwarfbucks.

I don't have the economy, so guesses as to value are within a range:

I designate a nine-sand-square office with a no quality felsite throne (10 dwarfbucks).  The room registers as meager (1-99 dwarfbucks); experience says it should be 19 dwarfbucks (10 for the table, 9 for the 9 squares).  I throw in a clear glass gem window.  The room continues to register as meager.  This gives us a maximum value for a clear glass gem window of 80 dwarfbucks; likely value is indeed 75, indicating gem windows give no value multiplier.

The gem window is then disassembled, and I put in a new gem window made from gems worth 210 dwarfbucks (150 + 50 + 10).  If I'm right about no modifiers on the value of gem windows, this room should be worth 229 dwarfbucks.  A check shows that it is now classed as "Modest" (100-249), so the theory seems to be confirmed.

A no quality clear glass window (non-gem) is worth 125 dwarfbucks; with clear glass having a value multiplier of 5, this indicates that windows are of an equal value to statues.  A masterpiece clear glass window is worth 1,500 dwarfbucks.

Moral of the story: glass gem windows are a waste, even for a dabbling glassmaker.  You are much better off, value and resource wise, making a window from the glass furnace directly.  Gem windows seem to be useful if you really, really, really, really, really want to have a colored window (or perhaps to make a disco wall).  Gems are otherwise better used for encrusting, as encrusting something with a cut clear glass gem adds at least 50 to its value, even with a dabbling gem cutter and dabbling gem setter.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 02:54:11 pm »

Hold up - "gem windows?" Are these not the same thing as crystal glass windows?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 03:11:38 pm »

They are not the same.

b->y

Takes a window object that you made from a glass furnace (green, clear, or crystal) and places it somewhere.

b->Y

Takes three cut gems and places them somewhere as a window.

Gem windows are akin to screw pumps, water wheels, etc in terms of building.  At no point do you ever have a screw pump object; it is the act of designating it that makes it, and if you deconstruct it, you're left with the component parts.  At no point do screw pumps or gem windows ever show up on your stocks screen, for instance.

A crystal glass window is made from the glass furnace.  A crystal glass gem window would be made by making three items of raw crystal glass, cutting them at a jeweler's workshop, and then placing them with b->Y.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 05:10:53 pm »

This will all change with the new release, when we'll have separate methods for placing a casement, porthole, transom, window, floor pane, or skylight. With gem, glass, and transparent alumin(i)um versions of each.

I expect.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 06:25:27 pm »

You'd need 24th century technology to make transparent aluminum though. :)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »

I was not given the option in the build menu at first.

This could either be due to:

a.) My gems being forbidden
b.) A bug (I have also gotten a mandate make 3/3 item in room, so a bug is possible).

They might have been in the process of being moved to a stockpile. That's what it usually ends up being for me. Wierdly enough though, you don't need the Gem Setting labour enabled to place a gem window. I think they just need Furniture hauling

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »

I have also gotten a mandate make 3/3 item in room, so a bug is possible

If you actually got a mandate for "3 item in room", then there's definitely something very wrong with your fort.

What's the bug?  I've received mandates like this.  Specifically, one consort's mandate was "Green glass window in office," and another "Aluminum statue in dining room."  These both occurred in the same fort, which was vanilla.  I haven't received orders for multiple items in a room, if that's what you mean.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »

The bug is that the "item" is literally what is asked for.
Pages: [1] 2