Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nexus Fortress  (Read 2780 times)

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Nexus Fortress
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:53:34 pm »

Nexus War was a browser based MMO that closed down, similar to Urban Dead but Angels v Demons instead of zombie v human. This mod adds many of the classes and creatures of NW into the dwarf fortress universe- currently the only vanilla races are dwarfs (will be removed later) and humans (who were in Nexus War). Depending what race you play as the difficulty may be higher or lower than standard- the megabeasts are much tougher and many of the races are more powerful.

Here's a link to the most current one- http://www.mediafire.com/?qzwthqczkyk

Here's a link to the NW wiki so you can look up the stuff I included- http://wiki.nexuswar.com/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:23:26 pm by Strange guy »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:55:36 pm »

Oh lame. Nexus War closed down? What happened?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:25:23 am »

With regards to buffing: size and damblock (as I'm sure you know), as well as special abilities like fire, nopain, and nothought - but the weakness of megabeasts, along with the power of crossbows, is partly tied in with the layer system's current implementation in the game, which will be changed for the next release.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:43:46 am »

Oh lame. Nexus War closed down? What happened?

It basically came down to Jorm running out of money to pay for the server, though him working for EA and not being allowed to continue working on the game didn't help.

darkflagrance- I'm already using damblock, size, fire etc. Guess I'll have to wait for next version for megabeasts to work well. Never mind, it's not like they are a major part of the game.

I've ran into a bit of a problem- in NW there were 2 types of rare  magical armour- Murder Armour for evils and Golden Breastplates for goods. I tried to get it so they are made via smelter reactions to stop them being very common but I ended up with a 'small steel plate armour' rather than a golden breastplate.

Here's the raws for the golden breastplate and the reaction:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_GOLDEN_BREASTPLATE]
[NAME:breastplate:breastplates]
[MATERIAL_PLACEHOLDER:golden]
[WEIGHT:170]
[VALUE:150]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[MAINBLOCK:100]
[SECONDBLOCK:80]
[UBSTEP:1]
[LBSTEP:1]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:20]
[LAYER_PERMIT:50]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:9]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[REACTION:GOLD_TO_GOLDEN_BREASTPLATE]
[NAME:forge golden breastplate]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:GOLDEN_BREASTPLATE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

Well don't forget you can always lower the damage of Crossbows and the like. Well, the ammo anyway. Makes sense, since I seem to remember Guns in NW only did slightly more than a good melée weapon. Another option would be to remove the demon's organs. I think they should be alright without a heart and guts and so on, but they need a brain, unless they have [NOTHOUGHT]. Removing the throat too would stop those bloody wolves giving you an ignominious death in Adventure mode.

I suppose you could make Pariahs explode, but they wouldn't really be able to do anything BUT explode. Didn't they have a drain-life type attack? Could give them bloodsucking.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:48:15 pm »

I already have demons exploding on death- their corpses are ultra-hot rocks that instantly turn to steam, killing anything too close. I won't give it to the generic minor demons I plan to add (to cover pariahs+defilers) because it means missile troops can kill them all by killing one, whilst every melee unit you sent in dies. Considering how IBs could get a skill making them immune to mundane melee damage types while bloodlusting having to fight them at range or at great risk fits in, while void walkers serve the purpose of kobolds- you won't see enough around that them exploding will be that much of a threat and they are meant to explode less violently.

I think demons are fine with organs, but the megabeasts? I might remove them from some of them. Good idea there.

Pariahs didn't have a drain life attack, but they did have the 'weaken' ability. I suppose I could give them stun causing poison but as I've said I want defilers and pariahs to be the same creature, and defiler poison is a bit nastier than mere stunning.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:30:43 pm »

Armor made via reactions seems to have a size independent of the played race.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:39:17 am »

Yeah, armor doesn't work from reactions because of that.  You could make a metal called Golden and a metal called Murder and have a reaction create those bars.  Then make armor from them.  Give them high damage block and the [DEEP] tag so they don't show up outside of reactions.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:35:14 am »

Urg...if you give them [deep], they can encrust HFS pits though...I think.

Although Nexus demons surrounded by MURDER is oddly fitting.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:53:23 am »

Urg...if you give them [deep], they can encrust HFS pits though...I think.

Although Nexus demons surrounded by MURDER is oddly fitting.

[DEEP] only works that way on the stone. If you put it on a metal, it just stops races trading it.
It might actually be a good idea to put it on the ore, though if you want it rare. And you could make it so the HFS was either demons or angels depending on chance. You'd probably have to cut the [ENDING] demons out, so you didn't get incongruities like an archangel leading a pack of devils out. You'd still have to worry about angels showing up in the middle of a clump of Murder ore, but I guess maybe they hid there to trick wrongdoers

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »

Thanks for the advice!

I'm thinking that I should remove the armour entries for the two, as they'll end up being made from any old material or be the wrong size. Instead I'll introduce two new metals- Murder and Golden. Both will be [DEEP], and have low damage but very high blocking ability so you won't see them used with weapons. Golden will be made from 2 gold bars and Murder from 1 bar of Stygian iron (made from combining the rock stygian coal with iron) and something else, perhaps brass (because it's associated with Khorne in W40K, I can't think of any other evil metals). I won't give either of them ores.

For the HFS I'm thinking one type of clown for each evil elder power (there were 3 main ones that could be worshipped in game, and 3 lost elder powers, of which 2 became corrupted and evil and one was always so). I think I'll have the [ENDING] be a Dark Oppressor- they weren't that powerful in game (but not far off when in stygia) but demonic leadership fits them very well and it doesn't matter what elder powers champions they end up leading- they can fit all of them.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:08:40 pm »

Just had another problem. I just put it my first custom semimegabeast only for it to not show up in Legends. Considering how all semi-mega beasts are in legend I presume this means it isn't in game- and I don't know how to fix this. The error log is empty, I definitely generated a new world and none of the tags it uses are too unusual.

Can anyone help? These are the raws I used-
[CREATURE:STONE_CHAMPION]
[NAME:stone champion:stone champions:stone champion]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:0:0:1]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]
[CANNOT_UNDEAD]
[SEMIMEGABEAST]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT][NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT][SEVERONBREAKS]
[NO_GENDER]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[SIZE:11]
[PREFSTRING:height]
[DAMBLOCK:6]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:smash with hammer:smashes withhammer:2:5:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON[ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[SPEED:1000]
[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:MICA]
[MATERIAL:STONE:MICA]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13:22 pm »

Off the top of my head, it doesn't have any Biome information. BIOME:ANY_LAND is what most of the semimegabeasts have.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »

Thanks, that got it working.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »

Just put up the next version. Since the version I put up here first was half-way between this and the last one I'm not sure exactly what's been added since, but definitely a new race- Lesser Demons who replace goblins. They are easier to kill thanks to less armour and damblock, but they are a higher size, have nastier unarmed attacks, more weapons and attack earlier, making them overall more dangerous, so that Seraph or Infernal Behemoth forces get something to fight.
Pages: [1] 2