Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction  (Read 4096 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:40 am »

Depends, I cant remember all the numbers, but I think it was something between 40 and 50 levels to get that build completed, the rest is up to the player.

But even if you focus those last skills on killing stuff, sooner or later you will hit a brickwall, especially on hell difficulty.

But the biggest problem with diablo was the ... how shall i put it... the lack of requirement for teamwork anyway. You dont have teams, you have several singleplayer builds in a group. You cant blame me for trying to turn the game into something interesting ;D

Altough... with that healerthing in your party, especially the casters can get insanely strong, because they have a real hard time running out of mana even when they cast their most powerful stuff without any pause.

I cant remember the exact rules, either, I just know the meditation aura triggers a healing aura.
So first thing you do, is you get that certain staff you can build with some cheap runes, which, surprise, surprise, has meditation on it.

Then you can run another aura, yourself, on top of it. Not quite sure, but I think you cant just run meditation and have another healing triggered that way. I think you can have either 2x meditation 1x healing or 1xmeditaion 2xhealing active at any time. Dont ask me for details, there is some logic behind it, but its weird.

Of course the aura you run yourself could also be conviction, which is one of my favourites ;D
Or lightning/fire/ice, but I dont like those, since you quicklly get useless on hell difficulty in 33% of the cases or so.

IIRC the most "efficient" build that gives priority to the healing and still has some kill power was one with conviction and this holy light thing, that shoots from above. Whats this called? The spell that goes "oooooh" in a monk-choral style. Not sure wether or not conviction lowers damage resistance against this spell, because I cant even remember the damage type of the spell.

Also, it's slow and "one enemy only" but it CAN get pretty powerful. But its kind of a tornup, you pour the skillpoints into the healing tree, and then you dont have enough to get all the synergies for this holy light thing.

Another interesting thing for healers would be the holy bolt thing, that can almost shoot at machinegun speed, because it heals teammates and damages enemies, especially undead. but I dont like it that you really have to AIM for your friggin teammates, so if I get it, only for synergies.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 12:13:22 pm »

I think most casters would rather have a paladin running around lowering the resist of the mobs as they usually have manaleech anyway and it's only the undeads that can't be leeched.
To me diablo2 was an action game with mass slaughter, teaming up with friends is just to increase the capacity and to cover eachothers flaws like elemental immunities

In the last vanilla game me and my friend played we played as Trapsin and Javason, took us approximately 3 or 4 minutes to do a baalrun, the waves was dead the instant they spawned.
My friend also made a summon necro for pvp, don't think he ever lost with it.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »

Well, you CAN run out of mana, if you push it, and it doesnt happen with that pala in the team. Also it really helps at lower levels, since it takes some time til the manaleech really kicks in.

Also, not all the classes have mana regaining abilities, iirc.

And with the staff I mentioned... it's no problem to run conviction aura, anyway. I tried to get that in all the time, because yeah, it's that useful to lower elemental resistances.

On the other hand... you'd need a full team of mages that are tied to one element battling a resistant enemy to make use of that build. In 99% of the cases the party would probably be more efficient if that healer slot was filled by a hammerdin.

Great work, blizzard, yet again -.-
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:40:35 pm by Puck »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »

My friend also made a summon necro for pvp, don't think he ever lost with it.

Skelemancer is very strong... and can run around naked in Hell if you wish to. A good merc and a golem to start the snowballing, an item on switch to cast teleport, and you'll be all set.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »

I normally play solo but I had one character on Battlenet it was a summoning necro, which I found kinda fun. The only problem was I neglected my golem so whilst I was running around with ridiculously large numbers of really powerful skeletons after a while I always had trouble getting started (Ice mercenaries suck balls when you're trying to get a corpse and you literally have no damage skills).
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 01:09:14 pm »

You know, if there are enough people to play, I might play some.  I can bring in a Vindicator for super awesome MELEE RAEPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Or I can build a wicked concentration Barbarian to mega tank.  Im not really a huge fan of the really popular builds (Hammerdins,WW Barbs,Frenzy Barbs). It might be fun with a private 8 player game goin. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »

I normally play solo but I had one character on Battlenet it was a summoning necro, which I found kinda fun. The only problem was I neglected my golem so whilst I was running around with ridiculously large numbers of really powerful skeletons after a while I always had trouble getting started (Ice mercenaries suck balls when you're trying to get a corpse and you literally have no damage skills).

I think it's okay to keep golems level 1 - cheaper to recast that way. With your legion of skeletons around you don't really need a strong golem for damage - just the mud golem for its slow effect. Together with your decrepify curse bosses attack extremely slow.

I always use a NM chapter 2 merc for the might aura... I have a skelemancer in hell but I haven't MF enough to afford any of the high rune words that gives aura.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:13 am »

The last time I played, I made a Vidicator (smite paladin) and I got him to Hell difficulty in probably 4 or 5 hours. The Prime Evils died in probably 20 or 30 seconds against him, and he never died.

.....how exactly did you do that in 4-5 hours?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »

The last time I played, I made a Vidicator (smite paladin) and I got him to Hell difficulty in probably 4 or 5 hours. The Prime Evils died in probably 20 or 30 seconds against him, and he never died.

Expansion is so easy. What you do is get high level characters to get you through the game, then spend a few minutes in each of the high level exp zones, a few hours in hell baal can get you to lvl 70+ easily, it's once you hit 80+ that there's level slowdown, getting to a crawl past 95.

Speaking of which, I was thinking about trying some of the mods on moddb, since I've never played a D2 mod. Any recs?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:53:10 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 02:32:56 pm »

Kael, Go with Eastern sun mod, there's a lot to do and hell is truly hell. Get a friend to play with and have fun playing at /players16

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »

Looks good but a shame it hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

90% of the fun I had in D2 was pvp, beating people with higher level characters and items in duels than me through superior strategy.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 03:20:39 pm »

Looks like my looking for players thread, has turned into a diablo discussion  :)

Indeed I understand that Diablo can be boring if you played hundereds of hours and have seen/tried everything.
I for myself just had an 65 Frenzy Barbarian that far, so that's probably why I (could) enjoy the game (if I'd find some people to play with).

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »

Expansion? Closed b.net right? Also, which realm?

EDIT: You know, it might be more fun with an open b.net private game between bay12ites.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:34:55 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »

I did it in single player, with /players 8 on. A Vindicator uses shield bash, which ALWAYS hits and stuns, then using all of the syngergies he has an insane amount of armor, does insane amount of damage, and you get (I THINK its) deadly strike, which takes half the mobs hp down each time it procs. Half hp, then half of half, etc.. Then max out a few auras and attack speed and you can one shot everything, and kill the bosses extremely fast.

Ive been playing Diablo 2 since 2002 and its very easy if you do the right build, and know where to go and how to get everything done.

Look around for Vindicator build on google. I do admit I had alot of gear already from my other chars which helped out, but still. ez pz

Edit: How about a private HARDCORE gaming session. Ill revive the Vindicator for that bad lad.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:48:55 pm by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:41 pm »

I did it in single player, with /players 8 on. A Vindicator uses shield bash, which ALWAYS hits and stuns, then using all of the syngergies he has an insane amount of armor, does insane amount of damage, and you get (I THINK its) deadly strike, which takes half the mobs hp down each time it procs. Half hp, then half of half, etc.. Then max out a few auras and attack speed and you can one shot everything, and kill the bosses extremely fast.

Ive been playing Diablo 2 since 2002 and its very easy if you do the right build, and know where to go and how to get everything done.

Look around for Vindicator build on google. I do admit I had alot of gear already from my other chars which helped out, but still. ez pz

Edit: How about a private HARDCORE gaming session. Ill revive the Vindicator for that bad lad.
Never liked hardcore because one bout of lag/lagout and you're fucked. I'm up for private vs. closed b/net though. I never liked the 3 months deletion policy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3