Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction  (Read 4094 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:43:36 am »

I wondered if any people are still playing it, or would like to begin again.
Because I'm thinking about starting again and some other players would be nice.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:45:41 am »

I'd play, man, except for the crippling flaw in that I DON'T HAVE DIABLO.

I tried it out, yes, but I've never been able to buy it, which kinda annoys me.

Oh, and yeah, there's probably still people playing it. Hell, Blizzard even went and patched it around a year ago.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:57:20 am »

I know there are still enough people on battlenet playing it.
But its very impersonal.
They just join your game, clear the boss, ninjaloot everything and leave.

I rather have a few people to play with regulary.

Oh and D2+Addon costs next to nothing these days, so maybe you should consider buying it ;)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:44:45 am »

I still play D2LoD, but only SP, for two reasons:

1. I can't stand the online gaming experience.
- Lag (because I'm in HK and the server is US West, but there's where the people I can play with are)
- When playing with strangers (or even someone you know), you have people zipping all over the place, not caring where you are or what you are doing, in two words, not co-operating. Basically you're just playing alone with someone else in the game.

2. I am spoiled. I use a mod to enlarge my inventory and stash a bit.
- Expansion Stash is upgraded from 6x8 (48) to 10x10 (100) squares.
- Character inventory is upgraded from 10x4 (40) to 10x6 (60) squares.
- Horadric Cube is upgraded from 4x5 (20) to 10x8 (80) squares.
- The mod is usable on B.net... as long as all people joining the game has it. But I'd rather not.

After playing with the mod, I can no longer tolerate the official inventory size.

I used the mod because I know I'm a packrat. I *will* grab everything. Using the mod just saves me the hassle of zipping back and forth with portals and transferring items to mules (I use Windows concurrent login trick to mule).

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:29:03 am »

I stopped playing because hand start to hate me.

But Diablo 2 was great. I love random generators for things. I once fought Pit Howler the Growler. Also My favourite item of all time was the Spiked Shield of Spikes.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:38:46 am »

Also My favourite item of all time was the Spiked Shield of Spikes.

Sounds pretty dawarfy.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:01 am »

I have this, but I find it hard to sit down and play this game because I have LITERALLY done everything this game has to offer, and several times.

The last time I played, I made a Vidicator (smite paladin) and I got him to Hell difficulty in probably 4 or 5 hours. The Prime Evils died in probably 20 or 30 seconds against him, and he never died. I have it sitting on my shelf, and its possible mebey ONE day I might pick it up gain, but for now I have Torchlight, Sacred 2 and Borderlands to tide me over on the whole "gimme da LEWTZ" craving.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:15:31 am »

Hmm Borderlands looks fun.
I'll give it a try when I have my new PC.
Hmm if noone is interested in D2 I'll leave it on my shelf then.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:33:49 am »

I play it from time to time, but only SP.

I wouldnt mind playing it in normal circumstances, but I havent got a battle-net account, ever since they revamped the system to require you to surrender an e-mail account to their spam.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 09:45:56 am »

I would highly recommend everyone to try MEDIAN XL mod for D2, for me it is just sooo much better than original LOD.
It's very easy to install, it contains normal D2 plot and special Uberquest challenges. Skill trees are completely new and better balanced (lots of usable skills), Cube is far more usefull, and generally there are lots of new and interesting stuff  ;)

Also it is not patch dependant (it can run 1.11, 1.12 propably 1.13 too) mod file is meerly 112MB

link to site: http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:12 am »

I bought it, but I wasn't impressed. It was mostly a grindfest, but unlike a lot of other dungeon crawlers the characters barely change at all. You're still using your standard attack, the enemies are still divided into casters, shooters, and stabbers, and the gear is pretty much the standard fantasy fare. Online is worse, nobody coops (hell, half the servers I join almost immediately get spam and then half the players leave) unless things get better on higher levels, and all the quest bosses are already dead by the time you get there. Lame.

I don't understand why so many people tout it as such a great game. I'm sure it's a fun game and all, but it just feels so repetitive.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:58 am »

Unless there are B12ers to play with. Then I'll hop back on.  :P

That far it's only me there ^^
Lets see, if someone else might want to play...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 10:52:07 am »

The mods Eastern sun and Median blow some new life in it though i prefere Eastern sun.
Playing with friends at /players 16 is quite fun, having 100 'pages' in the stash, lots of runes and even more horadic cube recepies makes things interesting.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 11:14:07 am »

I played this game up and down too, like everybody else. When I found myself doing baalruns at 3am, I know I had become like all the other guys on BNet and dropped it ;D

At the beginning however, I kept an eye out for people that went slow and were playing like they experienced it the first time and tried to gather them into parties. Was fun that way.

I only ever played paladins (had necro and assasin too, but they didnt keep me interested) and the most fun I had with my healer build (not sure if bug or intended but it IS possible to stack healthgain auras since meditation triggers one, too...) which, of course, got me nothing but flak on BNet.

Personally I have to say... even with a perfect party full of nice folks and just the right amount of light RP... the bland taste of d2 probably will not go away for me. Altough... admittedly... I still have to kill the ubars....

edit:
It just occured to me there are two conditions, and when both are met, Ill join you guys.

1) We need some peeps.
2) We need a ladder reset. Seriously, I like ladder resets. If im notified in time to get the game installed (not a good idea to do it an hour before the fun starts...) and patched I'm in for the first few runs. Of course, again, with my "healer build".

Love it or not, but you cannot deny the advantages of an everlasting, always running mana battery in the party. The health thing is nice, too, but Id estimate it doesnt really pay off without big enough a buffer, which you only get from druid and barbarian buffs, I believe.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:21:57 am by Puck »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 11:36:55 am »

Puck, can you kill stuff with that build, or are you just playing a walking health dispenser?
My characters always ended up as powerhouses capable of near instant slaughter in some way or other.
Probably why i like Eastern sun. The monsters have been buffed and are probably twice as hard as vanilla, not to mention i can raise the multiplier to /players 16
Pages: [1] 2 3