Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colossal Fossils (and other wretched puns)  (Read 1950 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colossal Fossils (and other wretched puns)
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:26 pm »

Hello and happy (almost) Halloween. I've been trying to come up with some ideas for entertaining stuff to do underground to tide me over until the horrors in the next version are finally released, and I hit upon the idea of fossils. HUGE ONES. Here's what I've got so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The idea being that your dwarves have stumbled onto a mercifully extinct multi-tile monster. Since this is my first time modding in anything fancier than a new creature, it's taken me an embarrassingly long time to come up with raws that actually spawn, but there it is anyway. A couple of things though:

-Is it possible to get it to have the same tile display as bones? (both the rock walls, and the dropped stone) The horrible colour scheme makes it easy to find in a cliffside, but I'd like it to look as much as possible like an actual string of bones.

-How do I make it somewhat rarer? Obviously you can't go have stones that valuable just everywhere. I wasn't able to find out what the number in the enviroment tag controlled, and assumed it was either vein size (which I would like high) or frequency of occurance (which I would like low)

-Do I need the boiling/melting point tags? I just stole Addy's values to minimize the chances of anything going wrong.

-Can I created a smelter reaction to turn it into a mounted fossil? I thought about creating a new item type "mount" which would have the [STATUE] tag.

-Lastly, I don't suppose there's any way to stop the floor remaining valuable after the bone is removed, is there? It's always seemed like an irritating exploit to me, that you can get double value out of valuable stones. I guess I could make the stone worth less unless further refined at the smelter, but then I'd lose out on the happiness bonus for having a prehistoric monster protruding from the walls.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Colossal Fossils (and other wretched puns)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:02:30 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Matgloss_tokens
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Temperature_scale
Temperature data isn't needed since it defaults to common stone, but you can set it to bauxite if you want it to withstand magma but not spirit of fire demon temperature.
You can use [STONE_NAME:] to name it specifically "blahblahblah fossil" instead of "blahblahblah fossil stone"

To make it rarer, set the 100 at the end of the [ENVIRONMENT:] to, something lower then 100.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Color
[COLOR:#:#:#] if the last number is 1, then the first color switches to it's "bright" version.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Character_table
Corpse peices have the superscript 2 tile, so that's 253. You'll need to replace the [ITEM_SYMBOL:_] and [TILE:_] where _ is 253 for the correct appearance. (item symbol controls the 'mined out' graphic, tile controls the 'in the wall' graphic)

-Can I created a smelter reaction to turn it into a mounted fossil?
Put in the reaction file, properly modified to have functional material references:

[REACTION:PETRIFIED_GIANT_MONSTER_TO_STATUE]
[NAME:Create petrified giant monster statue]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:PETRIFIED_GIANT_MONSTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:PETRIFIED_GIANT_MONSTER]

[edit - and if you're going the way that the starting stone has standard [VALUE:1] you can create a second, much more valuable dummy stone type that never appears in the game by removing the [ENVIRONMENT:] tag from the dummy, and then referencing this renamed never-appears-naturally fossil stone in the [PRODUCT:] tag of the fossil-statue reaction.]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:08:35 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:58:09 pm »

I was actually hoping to create a separate object - one that could only be created with the fossil stone, and could be placed like a statue with no differences other than thematic (and maybe value). It looks like this isn't possible, and I don't think it's an important enough distinction anyway. I was thinking ahead the next version, where statues have descriptions and types. I just didn't fancy having a "this is a fossil leviathan statue of many large roaches". Upon reflection, I should  just worry about it later, and pretend my fossil statue is just an articulated skeleton, since there isn't a whole lot of gameplay difference. Thank you for your help though!

Should anyone else want to use it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

panaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »

Nvm, this somehow got posted on wrong topic =/