Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the armor be sold for greater challenge?

Hahaha, yes! We want to die messily!
- 16 (35.6%)
I like life!
- 29 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: LP: X-Com Apocalypse!  (Read 34806 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LP: X-Com Apocalypse!
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

There can never be enough X-Com LPs, and I want to try my hand at it. So, which am I LPing? TFTD or Apocalypse?

Terror From the Deep is harder, especially since I can't be bothered to use the utilities that reduce the difficulty from superhuman. Troops are more expendable, and I'll be exploiting that fact fully. I've never even gotten close to beating it.

Apocalypse has real time mode, allowing DUAL AUTOCANNONS WITH HE ROUNDS TO FIRE SIMULTANEOUSLY!! HAHAHAHA!!!! There will also be more room for anybody wanting a pilot, allowing anyone who wants both to be able to claim a soldier and a pilot. There is also room for 36 people in a mission, rather then 14 (You think we'll actually last long enough to get the advanced transport in TFTD? HA!) I came close to beating Apocalypse once, but didn't finish it. Can't remember why.

Apocalypse won, 4 to 2. Expect some preliminary screens soon. I'll use the poll for research once we have something to research.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:29:22 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com LP: TFTD or Apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:58 pm »

Roster:

Active:
Nirur Torir - Human. Laser Sniper Rifle.
Aqizzar - Human. Dual autocannons with HE rounds.
CJ1145 - John O'Conner. Armed with Marsec M4000. Never retreats.
Mad Larks - Dougan McLaughlin. Armed with Sniper Gun. Attempts escape at 33%.
Zangi - Armed with Marsec M4000. Runs if alone; fights to the death to defend allies.
Zchris13 - Zchris13. Sniper Gun.
Rickvoid - Gordon Freeman. Armed with as many weapons as he can stuff in his backpack.
Spartan 117 - M400.

Mutants:
Metal Militia - Armed with Mindbender and lawpistol. Dislikes direct combat.

Androids:
Itnetlolor - IT-NT 101-OR. Armed with Sniper Gun. Has a Stun Grapple as a secondary weapon. Attempts escape at 66%.
DI7789 - Jimmybob X-1, android.

Waiting list:
Androids:
Legolord - Armed with M4000 and power sword. Waiting on power sword and marsec torso.

Humans:
Glacies - Waiting on power sword.

Mutants:
EuchreJack - Prince Quentar the arrogant or Princess Moonspeak the ... questionable

Deaths:
Spartan 117 - Died to a brainsucker while clearing apartments.
Sean Mirrsen - Dynamitri Destroyevski, explosive's expert. Died to a popper while attacking a type 3 UFO.
Bug - Died to a hyperworm swarm while clearing a mall.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:14:43 pm by Nirur Torir »

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:00 pm »

I vote Apocalypse, if that wins, can I be the first Android you get? (Named Jimmybob X-1)?
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »

Apocalypse. Much more potential for roleplaying. Also, I vote for realtime battles if you can manage it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »

Though I won't be volunteering (since I'm already committed to a different one); how about we see Apoc instead?

That ought to be an interesting read/watch.

EDIT:
I take it back. I just won't contribute as much to it.

I'll take an android please (bandwagon):

NAME: IT-NT 101-OR (Interdiction-Technology ; Neutralization-Titan ; Model 101 - Operative Reconnaissance)
PRIME DIRECTIVE: Front-line Sweep (1st one through doors, take out targets in sight first)
SECONDARY DIRECTIVE: Reconnaissance (Unless ordered otherwise, patrol local area within range for target assistance)

OPTIONAL OBJECTIVE: Recovery (Utilizing stun technology on carry-on, if option is available, detonate stun grenades, and recover bodies. If XCOM Operative, recover or return to safer area. IE- anyone else is KO'ed, I'll return them to a safer spot until they recover/get healed.)

ARMAMENT: Mid-Long Range weaponry; Stun technology armed (upon contact with aliens; detonate if not in containment)
OPTIONAL ARMAMENT: Rifle-weaponry (2 clips, 1 in gun, 1 on belt) and power-sword (more power). 1 grenade of any type (Whatever can sufficiently thin a crowd, or weaken a tough opponent, in order to finish off with power-sword)

OPERATIVE PARAMETERS SETTING: Cautious (Team Sniper)

Oh, what the hell, how about a couple more to fill in spaces?:

NAME: Murphy Law
RACE: Mutant

WEAPON: Pistols and 'nades (all kinds of nades). Mind bender to ward off danger. (Medical operations if not grenadier)
TACTIC: Coward. Tries not to have bad things happen. (not that it would help) (Team Medic preferable)

And why not?

NAME: Big McLargehuge
RACE: Human

WEAPON: All heavy weapons
TACTIC: Mow 'em down. (IE- The team Heavy)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:01:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »

Definitely Apocalypse. I'd like an android as well. Name him "Chowder-Bot" in honor of the greatest android ever.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LP: X-Com Apocalypse!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:30:02 pm »

I would like a Human

Name: Bug
Weapon: I would like him to have 2 Marsec M4000 Machine Guns if you can
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:34:36 pm by DF newb »
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:48:51 pm »

Edit - Got it working. Mostly. My CD is well-used. Muting it worked. I will miss my standard X-Com sound, but sacrifices must be made for the greater good.

Name:
Race: (Human, mutant, or android. Mutants are physically weak, but can use psi attacks. Androids start out with good stats, but only improve them VERY slowly. They also have better psi defense.)
Weapons: (I'll be using real time mode, so duel wielding will fire both at once, albeit at reduced accuracy. Priming grenades is free, as is reloading. Due to the economics system, ammo is sorta limited, so try to not all claim the same guns. Also, no duel wielding machine guns until we have more gun types - X-Com will be out of ammo in no time.)
Bravery: (This game allows anyone to flee the combat zone if they are near an exit. This score represents when you retreat. Examples: "Never!" or "If I bruise my thumb while pulling the trigger too hard." Cowards will get less kills, but they might live longer. In X-Com3, we start with fairly effective body armor.)
Any other combat quirks: (Optional) (Likes running up to point-blank range and dropping stun grenades?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Important: We have to pay money if we break stuff! This is not X-Com 1 or 2, where nobody cared if the entire map was transformed into a smoking crator. More weapons will be available later.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 am by Nirur Torir »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 08:14:51 pm »

Name: John O'Conner
Race: Human
Weapons: Closest to an Assault Rifle we have, always most advanced.
Bravery: Very, very brave. Only retreats when he's the only one left, to ensure the future of X-COM. Leaves his comrades to die for nothing.
Any other combat quirks: Likes to be in a commanding role; sticks to suppressing fire, and having other soldiers swing around and flank.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »

I'm still fighting with this, I'll get the weapon choices up soon. For now, if anyone already knows what they want, I want the following information:

Name:
Race: (Human, mutant, or android. Mutants are physically weak, but can use psi attacks. Androids start out with good stats, but only improve them VERY slowly. They also have better psi defense.)
Weapons: (I'll be using real time mode, so duel wielding will fire both at once, albeit at reduced accuracy. Priming grenades is free, as is reloading. Due to the economics system, ammo is sorta limited, so try to not all claim the same guns. Also, no duel wielding machine guns until we have more gun types - X-Com will be out of ammo in no time.)
Bravery: (This game allows anyone to flee the combat zone if they are near an exit. This score represents when you retreat. Examples: "Never!" or "If I bruise my thumb while pulling the trigger too hard." Cowards will get less kills, but they might live longer. In X-Com3, we start with fairly effective body armor.)
Any other combat quirks: (Likes running up to point-blank range and dropping stun grenades?)

Ok then can I duel wielding Megapol Lawpistols and later in the game once we have teleporters can I get a powersword and warp in to fight?

Bravery: Never Retreats unless heavy wounded
combat quirks: Charges in with his pistols firing round after round and later warps in right beside the enemies to slice them up with his Powersword. He is not afraid to get hurt.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »

Name: Dougan McLaughlin
Weapons: Sniper
Bravery: Flees when heavily wounded
Combat Quirks: Likes to go after the biggest targets
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 03:18:49 am »

Name: Spartan 117

Weapons: Marsec M4000, two stun grenades, one explosive grenade

Bravery: Never retreats, because he thinks it would disgrace his father and grandfather who served in the previous alien wars. He carries an extra stun grenade, in case he gets cornered.

Combat Quirks: Likes to go for groups of enemies, using his machinegun's high rate-of-fire and his grenades to his advantage.

Note: Despite his claims that he had family in the previous alien wars, official records claim otherwise.

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 04:29:19 am »

Name: Dynamitri Destroyevski

Weapons: Explosive and incendiary grenades, lots of them. Grenade or rocket launcher as soon as it becomes available. Carries a lawpistol and a stun grenade, as a "last resort".

Bravery: Retreats only when out of ammunition and the team is clearly losing.

Combat: Tends to stay behind the front lines and chuck explosives every which way. Can perform sabotage operations, if needed. Prefers large groups of targets and high ground from which grenades can be thrown more efficiently.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 05:28:29 am »

Oh, can I have a pilot? Have him pilot our Valkyrie.

Name: Eric Davidson

Callsign: Firelance
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 07:33:45 am »

I forgot to mention high explosives. They take up four squares instead of one, and have 120 power instead of 56 like a standard grenade (AP, not HE. Oops.)

Our initial recruit pool has no androids, and one mutant (No humans either, but we start with plenty). IIRC, more are available each day.

Introductory update coming soon to this spot.

Spoiler: First Update (click to show/hide)

Yea, there's always a first mission a few minutes in that's really easy. For vehicles, we have two phoenix hovercars, four hoverbikes, and a Valkyrie interceptor. The Valkyrie is really expensive and barely gives more firepower then a hovercar, so it will be retired from active combat after the first week, and used purely to assault UFOs. They don't land nicely by the roads, so the APC cannot get to them.

Hoverbike weapons:
Bolter 4000 laser gun
Rendor plasma gun
Autocannon
Janitor Missile Array

Hovercars can use all those, but get two weapons instead of one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:57:02 am by Nirur Torir »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11