Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden and catastrophic fps crash.  (Read 923 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Sudden and catastrophic fps crash.
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:02:37 am »

In the second year of testing a heavily modded game (though largely just a 100% creature replacement), my fps suddenly crashed so low that it takes several seconds for the game to even respond to the arrow keys.

I had broken into hfs several minutes beforehand,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, and was merrily pitting some large creature into holding chambers for my battle coliseum. As my dwarves were tossing in the last of the battlers, the game suddenly became so slow that I thought it had completely crashed.

Any idea what's causing it? (I do have quite a bit going on... just a dozen dwarves, but a cave river packed full of baddies, a dozen or so pets and around five wild animals not counting the river creatures, but I've definitely had far busier forts running before.)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden and catastrophic fps crash.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:34:34 am »

It's the HFS. They start out in ambush mode, which eats processing power like crazy; every tick or so, they'll check for adjacent dwarfs to see if they should spring out of ambush. Solution? Kitten bomb the HFS, or zerg rush it.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:15:19 pm »

Maybe. I have a year-old gaming desktop though, and at the moment the game is unplayable. It takes several minutes for a dwarf to climb my staircase. It takes almost as long to simply scroll the map to a different place. Even in forts with a couple hundred dwarves, a couple hundred loose pets, and multiple water and magma projects, I still rarely got as low as 20 fps.

If it's the hfs causing the problem, how are people able to play with hfs at all?

While modding I replaced the hfs creatures with just a single [ENDING] and a single [DEFENDER] type... maybe I did something to increase the system load.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:23:42 pm »

Probably nothing to do with your modding. Once the HFS are revealed/killed, FPS will increase again, which is why I suggested kitten bombing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 01:15:47 am »

I'll back up that answer. The HFS significantly lowers my FPS on both unmodded and modded games, and I have some pretty substantial modding going on.