Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussion: Battle Chess Mafia  (Read 2901 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Discussion: Battle Chess Mafia
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:48:28 pm »

Parallel is finally coming to an end.  I don't know how others felt about it but I thought it works alright except for the inactives that came in.

A new idea popped up though.  The issue: it's mafia-ish: it uses some of the concepts of mafia but isn't a 'regular' mafia game.

Instead, this is a game for folks that prefer to strategize using the night roles.  Instead of roles being a bonus to help, they are the primary tool to win.

2 mafia groups of equal sides.  0 Town.

Each side represents a chess set with each player as a piece.  The sides will be handed out randomly but each time will get the option to decide, as a group, which person will be which piece.  Similar to a chess board there are a few rules:

There MUST be 1 King
You cannot have more than one Queen or two Rooks/Knights/Bishops
You can have as many Pawns as desired. 

Beyond that, the setup can be as you wish.

There is a Day but there is no vote or lynch.  Instead, the day lasts until all role choices have been sent.  Discussion during the day is allowed and may be necessary due to PMs being unavailable and Quickchat only given to the King and Queen.

As such, the nights will be instantaneous and, thus, will go to the next day. 

As for the roles:

King: 1 Required. 
-If they die, the side loses. 
-They may speak to the Queen in Quick Chat.
-They receive a list of all actions the team performs each night.
- They control the nightly kill: deciding who dies and who makes the kill.  The teammate chosen is told of this action.
- They may also Overrule someone of their own team each night, controling that person's actions instead of the player.  The target is told of this event.

Queen: 1 Allowed. 
-They may speak to the King in Quick Chat.
-Switch: Once during the game, they may switch roles with the King.
-Choice:  A the start of the game, they may choose 3 One-shot actions form this list
Spoiler: List Of Roles (click to show/hide)

Bishop=2 Allowed: May protect one player each night.  May not protect another Bishop or self.  They will know if they have stopped a kill.

Rook=2 Allowed: May Roleblock one player each night. The target will know that they have been blocked and you will know if you stopped an action.

Knight=2 Allowed: May redirect one player's actions each night.  May not redirect to the same person.

Pawn=Unlimited Allowed:

-May inspect one player each night to determine if they are a King, Queen, or  "Not royalty".  Sanity is NOT guaranteed. 
-Sacrificial Promotion: Once a game, the pawn may perform a Redirect, Block, Protect, or a One shot 'random' skill (similar to Pot Luck).  The pawn, however, will die the night afterwards.

That's the idea.. The main issue I see is that it needs a pretty decent amount of people to play.  On the other hand, it seems the folks here tend to enjoy flinging power roles around more than day chatting (i.e. folks who lurk in the day JUMP to the PM me at night with their choice).  Also, this game can move pretty quickly, with the majority of the time spent by me sorting out the aftereffects.  The King's power in particular can help against inactives.

So, how is it?

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Battle Chess Mafia
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »

Could be fun, but I think we should try to let some of the other stuff wind down first.  We've got a really big set going right now, and I think some of the games are suffering because of it.

Also, NSBM2 is probably going to be able to begin soon, so... well, think about it, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:58:52 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:00:23 pm »

Right now, I mostly just want discussion.  I can wait until some of the other games have gone to their conclusion before continuing.
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:13:11 pm »

I like it. I wish people would join my mafias. Sigh.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »

Dislike. It's more of a guessing game than anything else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:34 pm »

Yeah... I was going to say that I'd take a king, a bishop, and the rest of the gang pawns.  Provided that the pawns which are insane are set from the beginning, that strategy breaks the game reasonably quickly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:39 pm »

Second bishop seems like good insurance, though.

And no, it doesn't- you still need to find the bishop(s) before the king goes, really. who show up as "not royalty".
Possibly queen too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »

Ah, true.  That does pretty much turn it into a guessing game, because we have to hit the bishops first and we can't find 'em.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:24 pm »

I'm guessing you're not allowed to target your own side with inspects, or yeah, the pawns get figured out right quick. (Barring the true Insane-random kind)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:10:07 pm »

Ah, I was going to use double-inspection and kill the person in question to confirm pawn sanity.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:12:22 pm »

Why not just ha'e all pawns inspect one, and kill that one? Or are you ujst thinking 2 pawns?
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:15:59 pm »

... Right!  I'm a moron.

Everyone inspects the dude I kill.  For some reason I always think in pairs >_>

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:49:57 pm »

Well the whole pawn matter makes it so that the game ISN'T random guessing..

To be true, though, I don't have to make it TOO crazy unless there's a ton of pawns.  At least 1 will be sane and most will have some 'quirk' that can be solved so that it works as well as sanity. 

So the King can be found.   The problem comes in how the bishops are found once the King is found.

Queen seems the best pick.  I was thinking of having the '# of powers' be based on how many players there are (thus more players = more powers) and to allow for multiple picks.  Thus, the queen can have 3 Watch shots to use and what not.

Once the Bishops are found, they can be blocked/redirected/killed giving access to the King.

So, the strategy would be:

Bishops protect the King
Pawns find the King
Queen finds the Bishops
Multiple forces neutralize the Bishops
King kills the King

The Rooks and Knights are there to mess up the strategy.

I'll give the Pawns a  'watch' option to their Sac Promote as well.  The idea is that if you NEED something desperate you can sac a Pawn to cover for a unit you don't have.

Btw, given all that, two options come to mind:

1. Give the king FULL information each night: what their units do and the RESULTS or
2. Just let the blasted team all speak to each other in Quick Topic.

The original idea is that the units can't speak to each other secretly so they have to use the main thread to communicate to one another without the enemy learning too much. 

#2 would work but it'll mean the only thing you'll see in the main thread is the results postings :P

I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:49 am »

This would be fun AND crazy at the same time.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 01:57:35 pm »

This would be fun AND crazy at the same time.
Which is why it would be awesome.
Pages: [1] 2