Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction  (Read 7835 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 10:57:34 pm »

This is obviously nothing more than a ridiculously idiotic marketing stunt.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's changed later.  I think I'd look at this the same way I do Manhunt.  Game companies will do anything these days to generate hype, because hype is what sells games these days.  What's really disturbing is that people actually want to play something like this.  It's a problem with society itself, but people are too immature to take responsibility so they try to blame it on games or game companies.  We're the ones that are fucked up.  The game just reflects our fucked up desires.  People always say "It's a game!  Not Reality!"  What does that even mean, of course it's a game, so?  It's not disturbing that people want to pretend to murder people with plastic bags or slaughter helpless civilians as a terrorist?

Not really; everyone gets violent urges, what sets the crazies apart from the normal people is the crazies act upon those urges, while the normal people recognise that those urges are inappropriate for polite society and leave them inside their mind.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2009, 12:13:56 am »

While video games don't make sane people into murderers, they can inspire psychopaths to psychotic acts.  I shouldn't have to remind people here that not everyone views video games as mere mindless fun.  Like all depictions of violence they also desensitize us, making us less repulsed by violence in general.  Video games can combine with all sorts of other things to result in violent acts.  Obviously I'm not trying to say that people blaming video games for violence aren't just looking for a scapegoat so they can delude themselves into security without actually having solved any problems, but it's more complicated than just "Lol, games aren't real."
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 02:51:14 am »

While television shows don't make sane people into murderers, they can inspire psychopaths to psychotic acts.  I shouldn't have to remind people here that not everyone views television shows as mere mindless fun.  Like all depictions of violence they also desensitize us, making us less repulsed by violence in general. Television shows can combine with all sorts of other things to result in violent acts.  Obviously I'm not trying to say that people blaming television shows for violence aren't just looking for a scapegoat so they can delude themselves into security without actually having solved any problems, but it's more complicated than just "Lol, television shows aren't real."

Or how about this one:

While rock and roll songs don't make sane people into murderers, they can inspire psychopaths to psychotic acts.  I shouldn't have to remind people here that not everyone views rock and roll songs as mere mindless fun.  Like all depictions of violence they also desensitize us, making us less repulsed by violence in general. Rock and roll songs can combine with all sorts of other things to result in violent acts.  Obviously I'm not trying to say that people blaming rock and roll songs for violence aren't just looking for a scapegoat so they can delude themselves into security without actually having solved any problems, but it's more complicated than just "Lol, rock and roll songs aren't real."

That last one? That's one is real. People used to think that rock and roll would result in mass anarchy as all civilised human values were lost and the population turned into mindless devil worshippers.

I'm not kidding.

We've seen this pattern with every single new thing, first it was books (waay back when), then radio, then music (repeated, each new genre of music was blamed for the same things) then TV, now it's computer games and the internet.

And i guarantee that in twenty years time when the next big thing rolls around and the next generation (the generation who grew up with computer games and the internet) is in charge, nobody will care about games and the internet, but whatever the next big thing is, oh it'll be violent and horrible and turn people into psychopathic murders and will need to be banned immediately because it's just entirely inappropriate for people.

If you want to be taken seriously, i would suggest that you try not to sound like a broken record, repeating exactly the same things that all those who came before you repeated, except changing the subject.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 03:32:12 am »

You didn't actually read my post did you... ::)

I mean, you don't honestly think saying "video games don't make sane people into murderers" is the same exact thing as saying "video games will make people into murderers" do you?

I'm fully aware of humanity's history of kneejerk reactions to new media, both possitive and negative.  One person decides to act unreasonable and decry something as pure evil, and another decides to act unreasonable and completely blind themselves to any possible negative effects the thing could have.  People love being overreacting idiots.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:38:10 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 07:37:19 am »

I mean, you don't honestly think saying "video games don't make sane people into murderers" is the same exact thing as saying "video games will make people into murderers" do you?

No, i think it is completely irrelevant.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:48 am »

What's completely irrelevant?  You're not making sense.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2009, 07:57:06 am »

Attempting to blame video games for psychopaths.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 08:06:59 am »

It's completely relevant.  This thread is a discussion about reactions to the video of Modern Warfare 2 that shows the player being forced to play a terrorist and slaughter helpless civilians.  It's a well known fact that people like to blame video games for violence, and it's a well known fact people like to say video games have no effect on people whatsoever.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:16 am »

It's completely relevant.  This thread is a discussion about reactions to the video of Modern Warfare 2 that shows the player being forced to play a terrorist and slaughter helpless civilians.  It's a well known fact that people like to blame video games for violence, and it's a well known fact people like to say video games have no effect on people whatsoever.

I'm not saying that; i'm saying the effect video games have is irrelevant.

If a man were arrested for gunning down ten people and it was discovered that his crazy mind had decided to do this because of, say one of Barack Obama's speeches, would we blame the speech for the psychopath? Would we demand that Mr. President take responsibility for this whackjob?

The fact that some people are unable to distinguish fantasy from reality does not mean the solution is to remove fantasy from the world. The solution is to try and locate these people before they cause any harm and get them some help, because there's clearly something seriously wrong with them.

Of course games have an impact, so does TV, cultural niceties, books, the weather, the environment in general has an impact upon people. There are recorded cases of people snapping and attempting to commit suicide because it rained that day; should we blame the clouds?

Singling out one aspect of a person's environment and attempting to blame something as complex as mental psychosis upon that one aspect is foolhardy, irrational and detrimental to finding a real solution as it does nothing but cause panic and conflict while wasting everybodies time and money.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:14:28 am by Neruz »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2009, 08:21:04 am »

Yes.  That's what I said.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2009, 09:39:14 am »

The Escapist got a quote from the developers explaining what's the trailer is about:

"Yes [it is real]. The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player's mission to stop them.

"Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can't be disabled.

"Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older."

So, you play as the Russians (killing innocents), and you will lose to the "good guys".

What egocentrisim. Murdering innocents doesn't make the Russians evil...If it did, then Darth Malak would be considered the most horrible man of all for killing Taris just to get rid of some whiny Jedi princess. That isn't "evil", that's just Chaotic Stupid.

And why is it somehow psychologically disturbing to kill some "innocents" ("innocents", by the way, who are helping the war effort)...when, if I kill hundreds of people with low-IQ-levels who doesn't know how to fire a gun, I'm alright and all those children and wives would forgive me? Forget it, this is hypocritical nonsense.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:41:46 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 10:17:03 am »

"Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older."

Wait... what? ???

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »

Wait... what? ???

tl;dr its not realistic.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:43:22 pm by Scope »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »

Wait... what? ???

tl;dr its not realistic.

I read it, but the bolded section doesn't make any sense.  How can you have a fantasy game that has realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, but is much like an epic action movie?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:37:07 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »

Its Infinity Ward trying to create a "modern" game but treating it for 13 year olds who think modern war is SUP3R SPESHUL OPERATIONS.

Basically i call that statement bullshit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5