Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction  (Read 7853 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 06:03:22 am »

Not my cup of tea for sure - mainstream could use some less lolviolence for sure -, but I don't bitch about other people's cups of tea either.

I'm just worried about the media, but I'd really be worried about society if stuff like this wouldn't receive flak at all. It's when people generalize stuff all hell breaks loose.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:40 am »

Again, i direct attention to Prototype; a game wherin you can (and probably will) gleefully murder thousands of innocent civilians for no better reason than "Because i can" or "Because they were between me and that tank."

Because, Neruz, you choose to kill innocents. Just like you choose to kill prostitutes in GTA3 to get your money back. You don't have to, and most people don't.

In this game, you're forced to kill innocents. That's not fun.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 10:08:02 am »

I think that the main difference is that Alex Mercer kills for fun, while here you kill for terrorism. Everyone knows that pointless slaughter is much better than terrorism.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

This is obviously a plan to generate sales. While I don't like the idea of having to kill innocent people, but the game isn't out yet. This means that there are a lot of possible reasons why you are killing the "innocents". Maybe you (the CIA agent) are going to, or already have, turn sides. Maybe you aren't forced to kill anyone, but you can. Maybe they aren't really innocent at all. There are alot of possibilities here. The scene may just be there to show how brutal the terrorists are. I'm most likely going to play it the first time through and then only play it to find things that are needed for acheivments or easter eggs.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »

Again, i direct attention to Prototype; a game wherin you can (and probably will) gleefully murder thousands of innocent civilians for no better reason than "Because i can" or "Because they were between me and that tank."

Because, Neruz, you choose to kill innocents. Just like you choose to kill prostitutes in GTA3 to get your money back. You don't have to, and most people don't.

Actually not true; you have to kill a number of innocent scientists to steal their memories to advance the plot.

Try again.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »

Actually not true; you have to kill a number of innocent scientists to steal their memories to advance the plot.

Try again.

Try again. It's totally fair to kill tons of scientists guarding a briefcase of valuable information that will assist you in your just cause. Prototype just got rid of the briefcase.

It's not "becuase I want to", it's "because I am doing it for the Greater Good". And the Greater Good never hurts anybody, just ask the Tau and the castrated humans on Kronus.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:09:38 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 05:09:26 pm »

Alex Mercer doesn't kill for fun.  He kills for angst and because he's a sociopath.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:23 pm »

He's actually a sentient Virus.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 05:14:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:01:02 pm by Stany »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 05:14:35 pm »

SPOILER ALERT

Ninja.  I knew that, I just didn't want to say it.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »

Should have been spoilered?
Probably, although to be honost it's not much of a spoiler.

SPOILER ALERT

Ninja.  I knew that, I just didn't want to say it.

I said it in response to your claim that he kills because he's a sociopath; being a Virus, rather than a human, human psychology doesn't really apply to him.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 05:41:46 pm »

For not having human psychology, he sure was angsty.
Shoes...

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »

Should have been spoilered?

you realise, if you hadnt said that, we woulda assumed he was joking and ignored him.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »

For not having human psychology, he sure was angsty.

Well alot of his personality was made up of a conglomeration of all the minds he ate, so you could technically say he has Mulitple Personality Disorder, except that's perfectly normal for him.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 08:38:56 pm »

This is obviously nothing more than a ridiculously idiotic marketing stunt.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's changed later.  I think I'd look at this the same way I do Manhunt.  Game companies will do anything these days to generate hype, because hype is what sells games these days.  What's really disturbing is that people actually want to play something like this.  It's a problem with society itself, but people are too immature to take responsibility so they try to blame it on games or game companies.  We're the ones that are fucked up.  The game just reflects our fucked up desires.  People always say "It's a game!  Not Reality!"  What does that even mean, of course it's a game, so?  It's not disturbing that people want to pretend to murder people with plastic bags or slaughter helpless civilians as a terrorist?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:51:03 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5